Wednesday 12 July 2017

My Two Homes

If you have been reading my blog for a while, you will know that I have, through my late husband, family in Yorkshire and consider Ripon my second home. (Although over the last 1 1/2 years, O.K.'s place has become my "other" second home - after all, I spend more weekends there than at home!)
 
Every year, I come here for a holiday, and for several years now, my sister has come with me. We have been renting the same cottage a few times already and feel very much at home in it. It is very different from my flat in Germany, as is obvious when you look at the first two pictures of this post:



This year, as I mentioned in my previous post, there is new wallpaper on the wall behind my bed at the cottage, and I have a brand new bathroom. Apart from that, the cottage and Ripon are reassuringly familiar and just the way we like it.

I can now show you also the pictures I have been taking with my camera, as this year, I have brought the camera's cable, and it was no problem connecting it to O.K.'s MacBook.

So here are some more pictures, all taken on Monday, our first day in Ripon this year:



For pictures of the ground floor (sitting/dining room, kitchen, my sister's room), you can click here; it has hardly changed since 2014.

It also still looks more or less the same outside. View from our front door:




Side of the building. The bigger window is my sister's room, the tiny one is in the sitting room. My room is upstairs.

Our front door. The window to the left of the door is of the sitting room; above that, my room. The window directly above the door belongs to a different part of the building, not rented by us.


For our walk on Monday evening, I took my camera along and took the following pictures.

Ripon Workhouse Museum:


Almshouses near Leper Chapel:


Leper Chapel:
(Click here for an older post of mine with more information and pictures of the inside.)


On the other side of the road is another chapel, but it looks as if this one is only accessible through the garden of the cottages next to it, and we did not go there.



Walk along the river Skell, with views of Ripon Cahtedral:




Good night!

10 comments:

  1. It looks very nice. Yorkshire is a nice-looking place. I've been there lots of times, but never to Ripon. This is a first for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yorkshire is beautiful and so varied in landscapes and places to see. I love it!
      As you have never been to Ripon, I hope you will like your first virtual visit there through my blog.

      Delete
  2. The cottage in Yorkshire looks cozy! It nice to have so many "other" homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed, Jennifer! I now have three families and three homes :-)

      Delete
  3. Very nice!

    I followed your blog, and I would sincerely appreciate it if you checked out my book reviews blog at https://elsbookreviews.blogspot.ca/ and possibly give it a follow as well! Excited to read more of your posts!

    - El

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and welcome to my blog, El! I am going to pop over to yours in a minute.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a lovely holiday home to return to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so glad we found this in the first place! It is simply perfect for us - size, style, location; everything we need/want can be easily reached on foot, and yet it is quiet.

      Delete
  5. Every year when you go there and blog about the area it reminds me just how long it is since I stayed in Ripon and makes me put the area back on my bucket list. The trouble is that my bucket is very large (and that's just the UK one). In the meantime I shall enjoy it vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The good intention is a start, Graham :-)
      I am glad my posts make you put Ripon back on your bucket list. Maybe I should talk to the tourist information center, aftr all...

      Delete