Friday 21 September 2018

Hiking Holiday - Day 5

Sunday, 09.09.2018: Another beautiful day, sunny and (at times almost too) warm.

20 past 8 on our balcony
After we'd been on the highest mountain in this area (the Rachel) already a couple of days ago, today we chose a tour from our little guide book that would take us to the top of the second highest mountain, the Lusen. It is only 1,373 m (4,505 ft) high, but believe me, the last bit of the ascent felt a lot higher!

Martinsklause
Sorry about the "spot"!

The path leading to the bottom of the Lusen is relatively easy, approaching the mountain in a totally straight line. From there, a steep climb up begins, over big rocks, like stepping stones of a large stairway, but so irregular you really need to focus, and so high you really feel it in your thighs. That bit is called Himmelsleiter (Ladder to Heaven), and more than once during the climb I thought I'd hear the angels sing :-D

There were many people about, since it was Sunday, good weather and the last day before school was to start again; lots of families made their way up, and so I felt a bit ashamed at that it got me so out of breath and sweaty until I reached the summit.


Can you see the straight path?
On the summit
I only took few pictures on this hike, as there were so many people about, but it was once more as enjoyable as it was exhausting. Our way back was quite adventurous - while we'd made it to the starting point with just two buses, it took four different ones until we reached our hotel again. We were too late for coffee and cake and headed straight to the spa, where we spent the time until dinner as usual. Such a hard life!

12 comments:

  1. What a nice, long holiday! You must be feeling great after all that time off, exercise, and good food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're about half way through now :-) Yes, it left me feeling great, but admittedly, work etc. has caught up with me rather fast.

      Delete
  2. Breathtaking views, again! In my experience (way back in the past), getting back down from high places can be even more strenuous for the legs than climbing uphill... Nowadays, for more than one reason, I'm extremely wary to even try! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The exhausting descent was something we very much felt on our last day; it seemed to go on forever.

      Delete
  3. Reading your reply on my post I see you are coming to Yorkshire shortly. Please, if you come anywhere near Leyburn, do try and call in for coffee and cake - let me know and I will make sure I am here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll certainly make sure of that, should we be in the Leyburn area, Pat! Same goes for you - if you come near Ripon between the 23rd and 31st of October, let me know!

      Delete
  4. You're having/have had a good break by the sound and look of it, Meike. Wonderful scenery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a very good break indeed, Mike. With this post, I'm about half way through.

      Delete
  5. Great pictures. I can just feel the fresh air from the summit picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was warmer than it looks, but up there it really was a little cooler (and windier) than elsewhere.

      Delete
  6. When you said a straight path I didn't envisage it being quite that straight. The boulders/rocks on the top look as though a great deal of concentration is needed if one is to avoid a fall and twisted ankles or worse. However the satisfaction of completing such a hike must have been considerable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did indeed take good concentration on those rocks. As exhausting as it was (bringing me close to my physical limit - I am at my least fit in about 10 years! - it was also rewarding as it showed me I can still do this if I push myself a bit.

      Delete