Thursday 4 July 2019

Read in 2019 - 12: Seasons of My Life

Seasons of My Life
Hannah Hauxwell with Barry Cockcroft


Were it not for Yorkshire Pudding's post about Hannah last year in November, I possibly would have never heard about her. But once I knew, I wanted to know more, found this book online and ordered it. Finally, I got round to reading it.

It is not the same book as the one YP read, but it is also her life story told in her own words, written down and put together in neat chapters by Barry Cockcroft, the man from Yorkshire Television who was responsible for her first introduction to the public in the early 1970s, and became a good friend of Hannah's.

Back then, Hannah was only 46, but with her snow-white hair and ragged clothes was soon dubbed "the old woman from the Dales". She lived on to become really an old woman; when she died last year, she was 91.

Hannah had grown up with loving parents on a farm in a remote Yorkshire dale, but her father was sick and they always struggled to keep the farm going, always relying very much on Hannah's help. In the book, she tells of some very fond memories she has of both her parents, but that childhood happiness did not last long.
Eventually, her father died, and an uncle came to live in the farm with her and her mother. One by one, her uncle and her mother also died. Hannah was all alone with the few cows and other animals that were left, in a farm house without electricity or running water, and of course no central heating, washing machine, fridge or any other of the comforts most of us can not imagine living without.

She loved her animals, they became her family; living on the remote farm with most of the other farms being abandoned, sometimes she went for 10 days without seeing or speaking to anyone but her animals.

Money was extremely sparse; the book says that her yearly income was sometimes as low as 150 pounds, 280 if it had been a good year. Malnutrition, the relentless hard work and extreme weather conditions took their toll on Hannah's health, but she plodded on, never even considering giving up, selling the farm and moving into a comfortable cottage in a village or small town.

The TV documtenaries made her famous, and she was even invited to a garden party at Buckingham Palace - the woman who had only left the Dales for one or two outings with a group of her community when she was young! A modest wealth came with fame, but she was not interested in money as such - the first thing she did was buying more cows, which meant an even bigger workload for her.

Eventually, aftter years of urging from her friends, she sold up, auctioned most of her antique furniture and farm implements, and moved into a cottage in the nearest village. She now lived in comparable luxury, but never changed her ways or manners - she was always Hannah, the soft-spoken, well-read lover of music and animals, and of her land, which was the home she never wanted to leave.

20 comments:

  1. I remember watching the TV series back then but didn't properly appreciate it, being too young and ignorant at the time. I wonder if it is still available somewhere to watch now as I would love to see and hear her again, going about her life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JayCee the various documentaries are available on You Tube.

      Delete
    2. That is where I watched them, too; when I was about half way through the book, I decided to have a look. There are also several interviews and a documentary "Hannah goes to town", which shows Hannah in London, so far away from home and in a big city for the first time in her life.

      Delete
  2. The book you read is available here for Kindle, and is not too expensive. Her other out of print books are very pricey! But I have this for my Kindle now, and I think I will enjoy reading it. I have never heard of this woman before.I will look on YouTube, too, after Graham Edwards hint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will find quite a lot about or with Hannah on YouTube. When I ordered the book, I deliberately chose the physical book, not the kindle version, as I want to pass it on to my mother-in-law eventually.
      Of course, if my Mum or my sister want to read it, they can have it first.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for an interesting reading suggestion. I had never heard of this woman before.

    💦 😊 💦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, until Yorkshire Pudding's post.
      I am not sure, but I think this is your first comment here - welcome to my blog!

      Delete
  4. I remember the television programme well and being shocked by the degree of poverty, isolation and hard physical work that her life involved. She became quite a celebrity and later programmes were made of her traveling abroad giving her opinion on what she saw. I felt that these programmes were rather exploitative of her. My parents lived in the Yorkshire Dales so I know the area well, but my experience of it was and is of strong sociable communities where farmers help out each other..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What you say about farmers helping each other is certainly true, and in the book, Hannah remembers well how neighbouring farmers helped with the workload when someone on her family's farm was sick or for special tasks like sheep shearing. By the time Hannah was discovered, most farms in that dale were abandoned so there were few left who could help. They did what they could but Hannah could also berather stubborn; it took her friends years to convince her of selling up.

      Delete
  5. I know I would like this book. Remember, I like the James Herriot books which no one seems to care for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would definitely like it, Kay! The Herriot books still sell and The World of James Herriot in Thirsk is a popular visitor attraction.

      Delete
  6. Locals were allowed to watch the filming of the Herriot programmes - if we were quiet! I went to once or twice when they were filming in our dale. There was an awful lot of hanging about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must have been interesting nonetheless, I imagine!

      Delete
  7. She was very interesting, I remember the programmes, dimly. What I remember most though was going on a cycling trip very near indeed to where she lived, and my God it was a bleak place, and also we were struggling on in pelting rain and freezing cold in the middle of summer, and it did make me very glad that I didn't live there myself! No doubt it was more attractive in better weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hannah braved it there all year round, for many decades, without proper means to get warm or dry - no hot bath, washing mashine and central heating waiting for her after a long day out on the fields. She said that it was in the summer that she lived, and in winter she only existed.

      Delete
  8. I feel proud to have directed you to Hannah's story and even more pleased that that story captivated you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen the documentary on Hannah and fell in love with her. I can't imagine the life she had but she was content. I think we all work at being happy but being content with our life is much more important in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The borders between contentment and happiness are not really defined lines, are they, but rather blurred - I consider myself a happy person most of the time, and content nearly always.

      Delete