Thursday, 30 July 2026

Monday at Castle Howard - Part II

Logically, after the house we went out into the grounds of Castle Howard. They are vast, and we knew we were not going to cover every inch and walk every path, but we had two highlights in mind: The Temple of the Four Winds and the Walled Garden.

My 2015 post about the temple is here, and the one about the Walled Garden is here. How green it all was back then, not parched as it is this year!






The temple currently holds an art installation that I had read about before coming here, and just the fact that we were now able to go inside this beautiful and very special building was one of the reasons why I so wanted to visit Castle Howard this year. You can find out more about the artist and her installation here.

After we‘d spend some time there, contemplating and listening, we strolled across the grounds to the Walled Garden and had a good look around. 



Atlas Fountain


A very cool looking Neptune









Can you see why I took this picture?

Eventually, we were ready for some sustenance and decided on Cream Tea at the Courtyard Café, which in the past was the stable yard for Castle Howard. Our fresh scones with clotted cream and strawberry jam were delicious and went perfectly with the Earl Grey tea.

A. drove us back to Ripon on a different route than in the morning, so we saw even more beautiful countryside, picturesque villages and grand houses. It was early evening by the time we were back at the cottage, and after a quick spot of shopping at our nearby Tesco we spent the rest of the evening quietly reading and watching TV.

17 comments:

  1. The parched grass makes it look like a different country. I like the idea of a cloud gazing area. Castle Howard and its grounds is a cornucopia of delights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only seen these places through your eyes which has been very pleasing even though I have never been. My only experience of Yorkshire is antique hunting in towns in the 1970s when I was living in Newcastle and we would drive down on a Saturday to find antique or junk shops which were fashionable at the tme. We would also go to Cumbria. My other experience is York where I visited once. I am sure you know Yorkshire better than I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been coming to Yorkshire almost every year for 26 years now, and although I know Ripon best, I have also spent holidays in Scarborough and in South Yorkshire, including Sheffield. It is England‘s largest county and covers a variety of landscapes, big cities and remote hamlets, coastline and woodland - it‘s all there, and so mich more than flat caps and funny accents.

      Delete
    2. Yes, I am famiiar with the geography and the people of Yorkshire and have passed through it many times, attended football matches, known Yorkshiremen and women, and know my geography of the area pretty well. I have just not holidayed there or lived there.

      Delete
    3. It must have been so interesting, antique hunting there in the 1970s! I imagine there were some genuine treasures to be found, but probably also a lot of junk. The people you must have met sometimes will have made for fascinating encounters.

      Delete
  3. Oh, how I would marvel over the architecture! The cloud gazing area truly speaks to me, I love that so much! The scones with the strawberry jam and clotted cream, you know you are making me want that so badly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were quite a few people in the cloud gazing area, lying on the grass and looking at the sky.
      No chance to get scones etc. in the US?

      Delete
    2. Nothing at all like you can get in England. Not in the South anywayl.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the video on Es Devlin : her Revolving Egg Library is wunderbar !

    I believe I have jaloused your Secret : You're a Priestess in the Temple of the 4 Winds.

    Jalouse, old Scots : To suspect, guess, surmise, have one's suspicions about ...
    Not that there's anything suspicious about a Priestess in a neo-pagan magical coven.
    Although an Italian lady said I'm the only person to turn down flat a Tarot Card reading.

    Castle Howard's heraldic gates reminded me of Traquair House, near lovely Peebles.
    The gates can't opened till a Stuart returns to the Scottish throne. Which means never.
    Eileen Dunlop was inspired by Traquair in writing her magical first novel, Robinsheugh.

    YouTube has some good videos on Traquair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, me a priestess? Nothing could be further from my character or my ambitions! 🤣
      I would also turn down a Tarot reading, as I neither believe nor am I interested in this kind of thing, while at the same time I do not ridicule people who find it meaningful and use it as guidance in their lives. Each to their own, and all that.

      Delete
  5. Goodness, the large number of people that must work there to keep everything working and in good order must be huge!
    As I just read this, I wondered, do you write your posts in German and then translate into English? I've never thought about it before, Meike. You are a talented writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write my posts exactly as you read them, Ellen. Before publishing, I usually read through them and correct the odd typo, but sometimes I still find one years later when going back to an old post.
      Your mention of the number of people needed at Castle Howard made me look it up. There are about 120 full time employees all year round, with ca. 80 additional staff for events or busy periods such as school holidays and Christmas time, as well as about 200 volunteers for seasonal attractions.

      Delete
  6. I've never been to Castle Howard, but your visit makes me want to go. If we ever get courageous enough to take Bailey on a train maybe we'll try! (Are pets allowed on the grounds, I wonder? I'm sure they're not allowed inside.)

    That painted lady butterfly really blends in with those flowers, doesn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pets are allowed on the grounds, and there were several people with dogs there. In the house, I don't think they are allowed, but the website will state that. It's not easy to get there by train, as it is about 15 miles from York in the countryside.

      Delete
  7. I don't think I've ever been there (looks like a place I ought to remember if I had!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you'd know if you'd been there, Monica. It is unforgettable.

      Delete