Thursday, 13 August 2026

First Week Back

Easing back into work after my two-week break was smooth; because it's still the school holidays here in my part of Germany, many of my colleagues and clients are away right now, meaning there were a lot less emails to sift through and meetings to attend than at other times. It was still hot, though, and very dry apart from one glorious, brief spot of rain.


Monday (3rd of August) was too hot and humid to go for an after-work walk. I had a total of 140 emails in all my work-related inboxes; compare this with 288 emails after my summer holiday in 2024.

Another walk-less day followed on Tuesday (4th of August), equally hot and just as humid. I left the house only to pick up my prescription of eye drops at the pharmacy, ten minutes on foot from this keyboard. Work was very productive, but I developed a throbbing headache early afternoon and eventually took a paracetamol. Finally, some rain fell - it didn't last long and much of it evaporated on the sealed surfaces here in town, but it was a tiny bit of relief.

View from my kitchen at 6:04 that morning
Wednesday (5th of August) was a tad cooler at a max of 30C/86F, and it was pleasant in my north-facing office in Weilimdorf (no A/C in my part of the building). It was nice to see some of my colleagues again, while many others are on holiday right now.

After work, I walked to Benningen - it was warm and I sweated profusely once I arrived at the station there to take the train back to Ludwigsburg, but it IS high summer after all and perfectly OK to sweat as the natural physical reaction to heat. This very familiar walk is part of my "homecoming" routine, and I enjoyed it.

Not sure how well you can see it, but the birch trees to the left look very much like early autumn. Trees around here are really stressed because of the ongoing lack of rain.

Approaching Benningen
I was again at the office on Thursday (6th of August) and afterwards went to see my Mum; my sister was there, too, and we enjoyed one of Mum's delicious salads together.

Friday (7th of August) was the coolest day of that week at a high of 27C/80F! Over night, the temperature dropped to a chilly 15C/59F, making for a lovely fresh morning with all windows wide open and allowing for a much easier cleaning round.

My usual trains to Offenburg aren't running right now because of the holidays, but I still managed to arrive there at 8:00 pm, where my husband picked me up as usual and we enjoyed our start into the weekend together.

While waiting for my connecting train in Karlsruhe, I had a rather unusual encounter: An elderly lady walked up to me on the platform, asking whether the soon-to-be-arriving train was going to stop in Baden-Baden, which I confirmed. She thanked me and I thought, that was that. Nothing unusual about it.

But then she looked me intently in the face and said: "Now I want to do something good for you. What is your zodiac sign?" I was a little taken aback by this question and truthfully replied that I don't believe in zodiac signs, smiling politely. She said: "I am VERY clairvoyant, even if you don't believe in it!" Her manner wasn't unfriendly (neither was mine), but to my relief she moved on to the young woman standing next to me, also waiting for the train, and asked her for her star sign.

As they were both standing so close to me, I couldn't help overhear their conversation. After the young woman had told the clairvoyant her star sign, the elderly woman proceeded to say that she "should be very cautious tonight, as we have a full moon" - which was rubbish; on that night the moon was a waning crescent - the previous full moon was on the 29th of July, and the next is on the 28th of August.

I don't know how much the young woman participated in the conversation out of politeness or whether she actually believed any of it; the train arrived, and in the mad rush of a very crowded platform with passengers getting off and on the train I lost sight (and sound) of the two. For a split second I had been tempted to ask the elderly woman how come she didn't know where the train was going to stop if she was so "very clairvoyant", as she put it - but of course I did no such thing, since any discussion would have been useless.

When the train stopped in Baden-Baden (several stops before mine in Offenburg), I spotted the two getting off the train. Still on the platform, the clairvoyant was talking animatedly to the young woman, and I suspect the conversation had gone on non-stop for the last half hour or so. Just before the train moved on, the young woman hurried off the platform, and I lost sight of the clairvoyant.

We knew that Saturday and Sunday (8th and 9th of August) were going to reach 31 and 36C / 88 and 97F again, but the mornings were forecast to be much cooler than that, and so we decided to get up early and go hiking.

I'll show you these hikes in my next post.

16 comments:

  1. It was rather a give-a-way that she was a fraud as she got the moon wrong. I do believe in astrology but would not have wanted to engage with this woman. I have encountered similar people from local gypsy communities but found that they say things that they think you want to hear and will always find a way of turning their words to match your words. It never takes much to see through them. You seem to be having the same weather as us. I am expecting temperatures in the mid 30Cs today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that bit about the full moon tickled me. I think I even mumbled half-audibly to myself when I heard that, something like "that's not right".
      I don't think she was a fraud in the sense that she tried to make money with her "predictions", just a somewhat lonely woman who probably truly imagines herself to have "the gift".

      Delete
  2. I kind of feel exhausted just by imagining your hot temperatures going on and on and on... 😰☀️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, it seems I somehow missed the latter half of your post this morning. I wouldn't have volunteered my zodiac sign to a stranger either. Like you, I don't believe in them.

      Delete
    2. I added the clairvoyant story after I'd already published the post, Monica, so I guess you saw the first version when you first commented.

      Delete
  3. We had a new moon yesterday, not a full moon. If that "clairvoyant" wants to get any traction with gullible people she should at least take care to get her facts straight! I might have said, "You tell me!" when she asked my zodiac sign just to see what her guess would have been. But I suppose engaging with her would have extended the interaction.

    We're having a terrible heatwave AGAIN this week. I'm so very tired of it! The children at my school can't even go outside for recess because the heat index is so high. Then we have lots of restless little people with too much energy to burn running amok! I'm looking forward to September.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly; according to the calendar, we had a full moon on July 29 and the next one will be on August 28, so August 7 (when I met the not-so-clairvoyant) was nowhere near.
      And for the exact reason you say I did not say any more to her than what I did.

      Our temperatures are not quite in the range that yours are, but it's still a record-breaking summer here. Last night on the news it was said that so far this summer, more than 12.000 people have died in this country because of the intense heat, and our buildings and public areas not being ready for this kind of climate.
      I am also very much looking forward to September!

      Delete
  4. I wonder what the clarivoyant's ultimate purpose was? Maybe she was just rather lonely and wanting some interaction with another human being.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my impression, Janice. On top of being lonely, she probably really believes she has a special gift and wants to share it with others.

      Delete
  5. I hope your eyedrops are satisfactory. You need them every day, don't you ?
    140 emails. Who said hard work was easy ? (Old Scots adage). You're a grafter !

    Old walks feel new, after a holiday. Clairvoyant from Baden-Baden amused me.
    A comedy by Loriot ( von Bulow ). Lonely, meddlesome, un-clairvoyant ?
    Your commenters are correct. Perhaps the heat addled her old head, bless her.

    Edna O'Brien guessed my Zodiac Sign. A Gemini, almost a Taurean. The Irish !
    Zodiac Charts are pretty. I prefer reproduction-antique Snakes & Ladders' Boards.
    Indian Snakes & Ladders are beautiful : I saw a YouTube video some years back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HISTORY ERASED : INDIA'S SNAKES & LADDERS.
      YouTube. The History Channel.
      I became interested in board games after rereading The Glass Bead Game.
      Hesse's concept is very complex. But someone created a board game from it.

      Delete
    2. Earlier this year, my doctor has adjusted the daily eyedrops I need to take, and at the last check-up she was satisfied with the adjustment.

      I like work but I don't like constant interruptions when I'm working on something specific; in that way, this time of year with many colleagues being away is rather relaxed.

      The not-so-clairvoyant probably really believes in her ability. Apart from getting the moon calendar totally wrong, she didn't seem confused or affected by the heat; after all, she managed to find her way to the right platform on a VERY busy, large train station, and she looked perfectly normal, not dishevelled or her hair sticking out or anything.

      Snakes & Ladders is a game I have often seen mentioned in books but have no idea what it actually is. Hesse's Glasperlenspiel is one of his many works that I have not read, in spite of having gone to Librarian School in his birth town.

      Delete
    3. I remember our conversation on Herr Hesse ; I must try and find it again.
      The Glass Bead Game may be slow but it pays off ; set in a future with trains.

      Barth's children played Snakes & Ladders ; it was his metaphor for Gnosticism.
      Gnostic ideas (Barth said) recur in every age, from Tarot to Teilhard de Chardin.
      YouTube abounds in Gnostic channels, Theosophy, Crowley, Mystery Schools.

      Barth's theology was Pauline yet he's rejected by Reformed fundamentalists.
      I'd like to have sat in a room with Barth, Jung and Herman Hesse.

      Delete
    4. * Herman Hesse - Pilgrim of Crisis * by Ralph Freedman (1979).
      Must read it again. Mr Freedman was born in Hamburg and went to the USA.

      Hesse attracts Gnostics ; the snake of Wisdom curls down the centuries.
      Yet Hesse was drawn to Rome ; church bells ring out in his mental landscape.

      There's a photo of Hesse beside the great bell of Pisa Cathedral (1911).

      Delete
  6. Your encounter with the woman asking you for your sign of the Zodiac, it makes me think of Agatha Christie! She would meet people like this and then, work them into a story. Poor lady, I am glad you were polite to her. (Of course, you would be!) Let's hope all are met with kindness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am no Agatha Christie, but I have worked the encounter with the woman into a post :-D
      She seemed content with herself in her own little world. Had she insisted on pressing her "service" on me, I might have become a bit less polite, but I was glad that she focused her attention on someone else.

      Delete