Friday, 7 August 2026

Friday on Trains; Bits & Bobs

Friday (31 July) was spent mostly on trains. My sister-in-law picked us up at the cottage at around 7:30 in the morning and took us to the train station in Harrogate, where our train to London left on time at 8:33.

We arrived in London around 11:30 and had plenty of time to cross the road from King's Cross to St. Pancras and start the process of checking in and going through border control for the Eurostar, departing at 13:31. Everything went well, but we were disappointed to find once more that our seats didn't have a window; we could only look through a narrow gap between the backs of the seats in front of us instead of enjoying the view of first the English and then the French countryside on the 3 hours or so to Paris.

There, we had another 45 minutes or so to wait at Gare de l'Est for our train to Stuttgart, which was also on time. Border control between Strasbourg and Kehl (across the Rhine) made for a delay of ten or 15 minutes, but once in Stuttgart, we had several options and simply took the first local train going to Ludwigsburg.

Already on the way to Stuttgart it had started to rain, and we made that last part of the voyage home on foot from Ludwigsburg station in the rain, accompanied by thunder and lightning. I shut the door to my flat from the inside at almost precisely 10:00 pm.

Phew!

It was wonderful to have that rain, but because of the thunderstorm and gusts of wind, I could not keep all windows open to let fresh air in. Still, while I was unpacking and getting ready for bed, some exchange of air was possible.

Returning from a holiday always feels a mixture of strange and familiar, I find. But I slept reasonably well back in my own bed.

- - -

Here are some bits and bobs that for one reason or other weren't included in my other posts, in no particular order:

Look at this bust of an unknown man. Doesn't he look extraordinarily lifelike and modern? This work of art was created in the 2nd century of our time. It is one among many in the Great Hall at Castle Howard.

Another one from Castle Howard: This large vase with fresh meadow flowers was...

...in the Ladies' toilets there! Attention to detail at its best, I'd say.

The view from my bedroom at Matchbox Cottage in Ripon, towards the town. That yellow expansion is actually the lawn in front of our row of cottages. I have never seen it as dry as this in all the years we've been coming here.
Looking in the other direction, behind that hedge is our private garden. We can hang our washing there and sit with friends, as we did this holiday a couple of times.
Click to enlarge and read the over-enthusiastic and emotional marketing babble on the back of the muesli box we got from Tesco's. I found it rather weird to describe a muesli in such language:
My bedroom upstairs at Matchbox Cottage, as it looks now with new curtains and fresh paint:
The front of our cottage. On this bench we had our afternoon coffee/tea almost every day. The window behind the bench is the front room, the upstairs one is my bedroom.
A view of the row of cottages; Matchbox Cottage is our end, then follows Boxtree Cottages with our landlord and -lady living in the middle part and one of the previous owners of the B&B living at the other end.
Kirkgate, Ripon, coming towards the Cathedral. Always a beautiful sight!
A sunflower my husband sent me from an evening walk around the village:
The view I had from my place at our dining table, where we had breakfast every morning and where I sat for blogging:
One last picture from Castle Howard. This bust of Dionysos is at the bottom of the staircase visitors reach first when entering the house. Look at his eyes! He must be thinking, "Not another load of tourists..." or something like that:

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Erm... you're welcome... I guess. (Not sure whether you're a genuine first-time visitor of my blog or a spam bot.)

      Delete
  2. Matchbox Cottage is such a sweet name, and such an attactive cottage.
    I agree with you about the muesli blurb - somewhat unnecessary but all part of the drive to make everyone think they're eating the best of the best and the healthiest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is our "home away from home", perfect for us in terms of location, size and equipment, and last but not least the landlord and -lady have become friends.

      Delete
  3. Yes, you've really got this visit so perfect after your many years of going. Do you ever think of flying instead of all of the trains or is that too expensive or maybe not practical?
    That last photo of Dionysos made me wonder who curls his hair and beard so perfectly and did he do that everyday? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to fly every year but it takes almost as long: Getting to the airport in Stuttgart takes about an hour, then you have to be there about 2 hours in advance, then you nearly always have a delay, then the flight itself takes about two hours to Manchester, then you have to wait for your luggage and go through border control, then you have to take one or two different trains from Manchester to Harrogate... See what I mean? ;-) Also, I don't like flying. I used to enjoy it but not anymore.
      It is actually cheaper by plane than by train, oddly enough.
      Dionysos must have had his personal barber! He was a god, after all - so maybe all he needed to do was to snap his fingers, and his hair and beard were settled :-D

      Delete
  4. An epic journey in one day! And yes, I've had those windowless seats quite often. They are rather annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should not exist, or if they do, there should be a reduction on the tickets for them. People who prefer to read or sleep and don‘t look out anyway could book those seats.

      Delete
  5. I always take the ferry from Dover. To avoid the Chunnel. Eurostar is ideal for you.
    Train seats between windows are bad. An American airline wants Standing Only Planes !

    Plodding home from Ludwigsburg Station in the rain, but at least good German rain.
    Thunder & lightning was just a bit of Dionysus Sturm und Drang. A welcome home.
    You have an Apollonian life patterned by discipline, structure, order, serenity. Bliss ?

    Bust of bearded man is not Apollo. Dionysus has the right the lemur-eyed gaze.
    My own gaze kept returning to Kirkgate, in the direction of the Cathedral. Paradise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction : Dionysian Sturm und Drang.
      Dionysian could be the writing of DH Lawrence or painting of Jackson Pollock.

      We got hand strapped for making too many spelling errors at school.
      The dreaded Lochgelly Tawse or Toosh. Lochgelly was where they were made.

      Delete
    2. Standing on planes?! How is that supposed to work in terms of passenger safety?
      I have never arrived in England by ferry but rather like the idea.
      The sign underneath the bust of the lifelike bearded man said „unknown“.

      Delete
    3. I was talking to myself when I said the bearded man couldn't be Apollo.
      How would I know ? I don't. Except that busts of Apollo are clean shaven.

      It would be cool (as the kids say) having Dionysus & Apollo at two sides of a room.
      Misspelling was a typo : At school I got the Tawse for my very low math results.

      Goethe unified his Dionysian inner self with his Apollonian iron self-discipline.
      Thomas Mann too : Aschenbach, in Venice ; suppressed desires destroy him.
      Mann read Nietzsche ; Goethe's Faustus would have pitied poor Nietzsche.

      Herzlich willkommen zu Hause !

      Delete
  6. The only thing missing in Ripon is a train which would give you more freedom to explore without relying on lifts. Of course you have got your friendship base in Ripon so it would be very difficult to pull yourself away from there, I can see that. Your journey back sounds like my kind of trip. It is annoying to get those seats on Eurostar where the window is not there but you can always move to the buffet car and have a leisurely look at the passing scenery for half and hour or so over a beverage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it perfectly right about Ripon, Rachel.
      We have never visited the buffet car on the Eurostar, but it is actually a good idea - a fallback plan if we should be unlucky with our seats again.

      Delete
  7. I get exhausted just trying to imagine such a long day of travelling... ;) The cottage looks nice though (as always), and good to be able to return to the same place every year, and knowing the people you're renting from. My parents in their years of children-free holidays in Britain (after my brother and I were grown up) had a couple of places like that they used to return to and got to know the owners, so that they also exchanged Christmas cards/letters in between. I think one in Wales and one in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If one could rely on all trains being on time, one could make the whole trip in much less time. But you never know, and we rather hang around at some station or other than miss a connection.
      Returning to the same place and making friends over the years is part of the appeal for me, although of course I also like discovering and exploring new places.

      Delete
  8. The bust does look very modern. In fact, he looks very much like a former co-worker! The info on the back of the muesli box might seem a bit over the top to you but honestly, I bet it was very good! Cereal in general is much better in England to me, even the Kellogg's Cornflakes were outstanding! You know I love that sunflower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of cornflakes so I can't compare, but I eat muesli almost every day and I can confirm that the Dorset muesli is indeed very nice - the info on the box has not influenced my purchase decision :-D
      When I saw that lifelike bust at Castle Howard, I thought this guy could walk into any room with his well-groomed hair and beard, and nobody would think him out of place.

      Delete