Thursday 23 December 2010

Finally, a Long Weekend!



This has been a busy and interesting year for me. Never have I worked less and travelled more in one single year, at least not ever since I have started to work back in 1986.

Some of my travelling made it into my blog (examples can be read here and here), but most of it did not find mention in here. I was away from home and interrupted work for a total of nine times, which may sound ridiculous to those of you who usually dash about the planet for business all the time, but it was - so far - my personal record.


Actually, I am now for the first time this year in a period of uninterrupted work, lasting already more than six weeks. And there is no end in sight, as I have used up all my holidays for this year, and there is nothing planned (yet!) for next year.

Therefore, my weekend starting today is most welcome!

Tomorrow is the 24th of December, Christmas Eve.
In Germany, or at least where I live, this is the most important bit of Christmas. Most people who have office jobs like mine do not work anymore on the 24th; the evening is usually reserved for a family get-together, if possible with several generations in attendance, and it is also the time when presents are exchanged.
Having a German as well as an English family means I have two present-opening sessions - one on Christmas Eve with the German family and then on the morning of the 25th, when I am going to open the contents of the parcels that were sent to me from England during the past few weeks:


Tomorrow, I am going to wrap my presents for those who will be there at my parents' for the evening.
In the meantime, let me show you what the sideboard in my living room with the cards I got looks like now - quite different from what it was not so long ago!

To all my readers, no matter where you are:
Have a shiny Christmas and a sparkling New Year!
(View from my kitchen window on 17.12.2010, just after 7.00 am)

6 comments:

  1. merry christmas, dear friend

    kary and teddy
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. A most happy holiday to my new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Meks! I'm sorry I missed your give-a-way!! That was very awesome of you to do! :) Your view from your kitchen is much more wintery than ours. We have a few patches of snow here and there, but living in Virginia, we do not get a whole lot of snow. We hear that Christmas evening we are supposed to get a bit of a storm, which will be welcome to us! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and very safe New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Kary and Teddy!
    Thank you, Jill, and the same to you!
    Thank you, Mel! The snow is gone here, too; it has been raining. But temperature has dropped a little, just enough to make new snowfall possible; we shall see what happens tonight :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Merry Christmas from Mark and Butler. I'm not sure where Bagman went but when we decided to wish you Merry Christmas in your comments section, I think he ran off to find mistletoe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Mark and Butler! By the way, it's been snowing for hours now - started shortly I after I wrote my previous comment - and I live in Winter Wonderland again...

    ReplyDelete