Thursday 20 September 2012

Mallorca: Arrival

Last year, for the first time in my life I went for a holiday on the island of Mallorca (Majorca) - which, for many Germans, is THE holiday destination and place for retirement. I wrote about my reservations here; we did end up having a really good time, but I also found most of my preconceptions confirmed, and didn't think I'd be back anytime soon.

This year, I have been away already several times; England in May, Italy in June, France in August, plus a few fairs to work at such as Düsseldorf in February and Cologne in August.
Now, me working from home means I am never really stressed, but RJ works a LOT, and since he's only had the week at Lake Garda (which wasn't as good as it should have been), he was well and truly ready for another break. We both didn't want to go on a long flight for merely a week off; we wanted to go to a place where we'd have sunshine almost guaranteed, plus it had to fit my budget - therefore, we ended up travelling to Mallorca again.

This time, we chose a small town in the North of the island, Alcúdia (to be more precise, Playa de Muro); last year, we were in the East.

We arrived in the late afternoon with enough time to get settled into our room and then go for a nice first stroll along the beach before dinner.
Our room and the view from our balcony.
We met this turtle upon our arrival on the beach. 
Oh, and the Sea! This is the view towards Port d'Alcúdia.
The sun was already quite low. Almost time for us to head back to the hotel across the dune and get dressed for dinner.
These two were on high alert; RJ spotted them, and I wonder what they were waiting for. Are there mice among the dunes? Or small birds and lizards in the grass? Or were they just having an eye on the few tourists that were still out on the beach at that time?

 

That had to do for our first glimpse of beach and sea and sun. We'd have plenty of time to enjoy it all during the week - we thought... Things turned out to be a bit different, but more of that later.

11 comments:

  1. Hello Meike:
    We can well understand your reservations about Majorca which we share but have, in truth, never been so in our case for 'reservation' you should perhaps read 'prejudice'!

    That said, where you were staying looks to be from your images most attractive with a wonderful view from your hotel room. As far as we are able to tell the area where you were looks to be not built up at all, and the beach seems, apart from the odd cat or two, blissfully empty. We shall look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane and Lance, my last year's reservations about Majorca were really prejudices, too; and sadly, most of them proved to be well founded. Still, there are different ways to approach a place, and since we avoiced a lot of what the "typical" tourist will do, we managed to enjoy ourselves.

      Delete
  2. It looks very pleasant where you were. I only had good thoughts of Majorca because my parents liked it when they were there about 1970. But you are tantalizing us with allusions about what will happen next. I hope nothing too bad. I hope you did have some more time enjoying the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi, I already revealed what happened (albeit not in detail) in my previous post - a bit hidden, but definitely there.
      I imagine that Majorca was quite different in 1970; probably not so totally "germanized" as it is now!

      Delete
  3. Looks nice enough for a first glimpse... now you have me wondering what happened next. (I've never been to Mallorca.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find out what happened by reading carefully through my previous post, Monica - but of course I will offer more detail (I'll try not to make that too much!) in due time.

      Delete
  4. hmm...and now we wait for the next episode! I am such a visual person that if it weren't raining the whole time (and if my credit card weren't stolen), I'd be as happy as a bug in a rug. I am trying to guess what could be ruined at such a heavenly location. Oh! And if no one got sick.
    There! That's it; I've run out of conjectures.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite like this building up of suspense! But actually, I've already said what happened in my previous post... Get the full story here :-)

      Delete
  5. uh oh, hope you packed your umbrella!
    xx
    julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Onward to the next instalment quickly!

    ReplyDelete