Tuesday 29 January 2013

It's Been Ages...

...since I last did a "Fashion Calendar" post, or so it feels; in fact, it was November, and I never wrote one for December. Never mind; as much as it was fun to do this kind of post for (almost) an entire year, it would be a bit too boring to have yet another Fashion Calendar this year, wouldn't it?
And anyway, I already showed you some of my business outfits earlier this month, so it's not as if I've suddenly come off clothes altogether :-) (I can't imagine that ever happening!)

In fact, I have something new to show you: Gloves!

These were RJ's Christmas present to me. Now, Gloves are like shoes; you can't just go ahead and buy them for someone else, they need to be tried on so as to fit perfectly. Before Christmas, we didn't have (or make...) the time to hit the shops together; between Christmas and New Year, we didn't feel like it, but last Friday while we were both at our biggest customer's office, I spontaneously suggested we go shopping after work, and we did (plus had a very nice meal afterwards).

It had been a typical Meike-week, I was out four nights out of five, and so I had a quiet weekend on my own.

The black gloves are lined with a black, very soft fleecy fabric which makes them a lot warmer than what they look like. The brown ones have a lining of orange-coloured cashmere; have I ever mentioned that I absolutely love cashmere? (And silk, for that matter.) The lady at the shop suggested I can turn the cuffs over when it is not too cold and fits the rest of my outfit, to show off the orange lining, like I have done for the picture.

Both pairs of gloves are exactly the right size for me. They are very soft and lightweight, and allow me to move my fingers almost as if I wasn't wearing them, so I won't even have to take them off when I get out my train ticket to stamp it before boarding the train to work. I will take them off when I arrive at the office, though; typing might still be a challenge while wearing them :-)
First time I'll be wearing one of the pairs today - haven't decided yet on which one, probably black, because it is raining and I don't want the velvety brown leather to get wet. 

PS: Have you noticed that my Mum has put some new, very cute socks and hats in her Etsy shop?

14 comments:

  1. Hello Meike:
    Wonderful. Gloves are, in our view, an essential part of one's wardrobe. We wear them all the time, at least in winter!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane and Lance,
      RJ is sick and tired of me always having ice-cold hands - he says I have the Raynaud syndrome... it was his idea to give me new gloves for Christmas, and who am I to refuse such a generous and beautiful gift!

      Delete
  2. I used to wear gloves all the time when I was younger to the extent that it became almost a trade mark. Then all of a sudden I stopped wearing them for driving and no, of course, I tend to live in a permanent summer and hardly ever wear them. I still have lots of pairs of leather gloves though. So I can really appreciate how comfy, warm and beautiful yours are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They served me well today, Graham! I can easily use my Kindle while wearing them, they fit so well and leave me enough mobility.

      Delete
  3. Yes, i would not want to be without my winter gloves, either. When we were first married, for our first Valentine's Day, my Sweetie gave me a beautiful pair and i still love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is very romantic, Messymimi! I hate having to wrap myself in all those layers of clothes in winter, but it does help when some of those layers are nice and beautiful :-)

      Delete
  4. Some weeks this winter have been so cold that I've preferred my mittens (leather lined with warm fleecy fabric inside). Now we're back to rain and thaw though and then it's gloves. Yours look very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica! I have a pair of fleecy ones; they were part of my Christmas parcel from England. Since they are with an animal print pattern, I would have never chosen them myself, but they are really very warm and good for walks in the snow and such, when I do not need to have full agility of my fingers.

      Delete
  5. Those are beautiful gloves. Nothing is better than when they fit just right. I find that good fit hard to find. I am glad you found 2 such pairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lady at the shop was very helpful and obviously knew her stuff. She took one good look at my hands and immediately came up with the right size (7).

      Delete
  6. Those are beautiful! I must say that I don't know the last time was when I bought a nice pair of gloves. But then, here, we really don't need them except maybe one or two weeks in the year. I do have some fun knit fingerless gloves and they serve me well. Although they are not nearly as elegant as yours!! I hope you are staying warm! xoxo Silke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Silke! It was warm-ish today, about 13 Celsius I think. I still wore my gloves and padded winter coat, though, since that is exactly the kind of weather when people throw caution to the wind and then end up with nasty colds.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you, Sonia! I've been wearing one of the two pairs every day now. The cashmere lining is sooo nice!

      Delete