Friday 21 February 2014

A Film, a "Book" and a Walk

This is a three-in-one post, plus an appeal for more contributions to our blovel; so far, there are only 2 contributions, which is not very exciting and makes me want to think about ending the experiment.

Back to business: A film, a "book" and a walk. What first? The "book", I suppose. Why do I keep putting the word in speech marks? Because "1980 - 1982 Memories of an '80s Kid" by Louise Gilpin hardly qualifies as a book. It is very short (Amazon gives an estimated 31 pages on the kindle shop product page), and, as the title says, not a novel but a succession of memories of the author herself. 
Louise Gilpin was 8 years old in 1980 and loved pop music. She remembers the entire decade mainly for its songs, or rather, any event she can think of is somehow tied to a particular song. I suppose we all have such memory-triggers that work like tiny time-machines, instantly taking us back to certain places and events from our past when we hear a certain song. It was interesting to read what a lot of those well-known songs from the early 1980s mean to the author. She writes about her home life, about school and her first time at a youth disco, how she longed for a particular type of haircut, the roller-skating with her best friend, and most fondly of all, about her grandparents. We see what Christmas was like with this family, how the relationship with her older brother worked, and can relate to how upset the little girl was when the family dog had to be put to sleep. 
It is, all in all, not an unpleasant read, but more often than not, the author digresses a lot, not having much of a chronological order. If I were to advise Louise Gilpin (who, by her own words, means to publish her memories of the rest of the '80s), I'd say:
Dear Louise, why don't you start blogging? You could write a seperate post about each of the events or people you remember so well. You could easily incorporate your favourite '80s songs by embedding youtube videos in each post. And you could digress as much as you like - nobody would expect any order to your posts. I am sure you'd soon have many followers, who'd love to reminisce with you. 

Now for the film: I was in the mood for the telly last night instead of playing my Sims, reading or writing, and found that "Night at the Museum" was on. Now, I knew about this film but had never watched it; plus I have to admit I am neither particularly keen on Ben Stiller nor on Robin Williams. But the mere idea caught my attention: Who has not, at some stage or other in their childhood, imagined being on their own at night in a place where usually you were supposed to be only during the day and under constant supervision? Who has not wondered what it would be like, what discoveries were waiting in the nightly place, so different in the dark and without people? Well, I know I have often imagined this about the palace here in Ludwigsburg, which has featured several times on my blog (for instance here.) When I was little, I used to imagine how I would get up at night, taking the exact amount of the bus fare from my pocket money, and walk to the bus stop not far from our house. I knew which bus to take and where to get off. I never thought about how I'd actually get inside the palace; somehow I simply assumed some door would be open. I imagined myself walking along the silent corridors, entering the beautifully furnished and decorated rooms I'd seen so many times on guided tours. I would look at everything but touch very little; I knew everything was old and rather fragile. Ghosts? That idea did not scare me; I didn't really think there were any ghosts at the palace, but I would not have been surprised if a few statues came alive and roamed the moonlit place.


Now, that is exactly what happens in "Night at the Museum": The exhibits come alive! At first, the new night guard (Stiller) does not want to spend another night there and quits his job. But circumstances make it necessary for him to go back, and this time, he rises to the challenge and prepares himself. He gets help from Theodore Roosevelt (Williams), but after initial success in dealing with the exhibits and their tendency to create havoc, things take a turn for the worse, and the guard is fired the next morning. Of course, the movie would end there if the guard had not pleaded with the museum's director for one last chance, and he finds himself back on the job for a third night.
The classic story-telling loves "threes", and so of course the third night is the night that decides it all, and where mysteries are solved.
The film is fast-paced, the living exhibits are well done in my opinion, and there is not too much cheesiness. It is a fun, feel-good film which I enjoyed watching, but I will certainly not buy the DVD (or the computer game).

And the walk: Ever since the famous summer of 2003 (the hottest and driest in my memory, as well as statistically, I think), whenever possible, I have made my way home from work not only by train, but included an hour-long walk. To do that, I simply get off one stop before my hometown, and walk the rest. In winter, I can't do that, because it is dark by the time I leave work, and stumbling across pitch black fields (in my business clothes) is not my idea of after-work fun.
But the hours of daylight are already considerably longer than what they were a few weeks ago, and yesterday was a beautiful sunny day which promised even longer-lasting daylight.
So I spontaneiously got off at the small town bordering my hometown and walked, the setting sun to my left. It took me 50 minutes to get home, and a pleasant walk it was: blackbirds were singing their beautiful melancholy songs, a buzzard sat on a grassy field so close I was tempted to take a picture with my mobile phone but was afraid he'd fly away if I stopped; few people were walking or cycling along the same path, and the church bells rang in the evening at 6.00, twenty minutes into my walk.


I took this picture (with my mobile phone, which explains the bad quality) on the tree-lined avenue that connects the two towns. It is a road I very much like and have walked often. There are mistletoes in nearly every one of those trees, but this one has the most.

That was my three-in-one post for today.  And now, back to work (home office today).

18 comments:

  1. Hello Meike,

    First, thank you so much for the wonderfully warm welcome back which you gave to us. It was just like being welcomed back home into a family and it is very much appreciated.

    Robin Williams has never been a favourite actor of ours, either, but he is wonderful in our opinion in the film 'dead Poets Society'. Do you know of it? If not, then we can totally recommend it to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane and Lance,
      I know of the film, but have not seen it. Thank you for the recommendation. Next time it is on telly (and I have time), I'll have a look.

      Delete
  2. And, what a simply wonderful walk home you have if you choose the scenic route! The mistletoe looks charming and reminds us of our times in Herefordshire when it would hang in great clumps from the ancient apple trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing better after a long day spent at office desks, in meeting rooms and in front of computer screens, than walking towards home in the soft evening light.

      Delete
  3. The walk looks/sounds wonderful. Nothing quite like the first feelings of spring in the air :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Monica! It makes me itch for long walks and runs in the sun.

      Delete
  4. That movie gets good reviews from my kids as a fun way to spend some movie time. That was a lovely walk; since we are expecting more cold next week i'm going to walk a bit today and enjoy the sun while we have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I am trying to do, too; grabbing opportunities for walks when they present themselves. Enjoy your walk!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful that you can have such a nice walk home, a special sort of beautiful transition between two worlds. I also really enjoyed Night at the Museum! Today I watched Escape from Planet Earth with my grandson while I was watching him and Alice and Andy were painting. It was better than I expected! And not so scary. But perfect for a three year old and his grandmother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I did not think about it in such beautiful words, you are spot on about the walk being a beautiful transition between two worlds - this walk always sets me in the right frame of mind for the after-work hours.
      I haven't watched it, but I thought "Escape from Planet Earth" was a science fiction movie, something I would not expect a three-year-old to enjoy, but I am probably mixing up film titles in my head there.

      Delete
    2. It's a cartoon, though certainly in the sci-fi field. You can see it on Netflix. Do you have this in Germany?

      Delete
    3. Probably, but I've never looked. I loved cartoons when I was little!

      Delete
  6. Love your advice to Louise Gilpin. And the photo of the tree with the mistletoe is lovely. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol! There'll be more pictures taken on a sunny walk in my next post :-)

      Delete
  7. The film sounds intriguing. I'll see if I can get it from the DVD hire shop. When I was working walking home was never an option. I can see the attraction but I prefer to walk for the sake of walking and relaxation rather that for the purpose of getting somewhere (does that make sense to you?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does make sense to me, Graham. I like walking for the sake of walking, but I even more like walking with a purpose.

      Delete
  8. What a good idea to incorporate a long walk in your commute. It is a painless and pleasant way of getting exercise and being out in the fresh air. As for museums, well, it's actually STILL my ambition to have a flat in the V & A museum. I can't imagine anywhere I'd rather live, and I often imagine myself roaming up and down the galleries after dark! In London, now, they sometimes do night events and sleepovers in museums, which is the next best thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a "Night of Museums" once or twice a year in Stuttgart, but all people do there is party, and I don't want to go into a museum only to meet even MORE people there at night than during the day. Have you ever been to a museum sleepover?

      Delete