Monday 28 July 2014

Saturday in Sprotbrough

On the Saturday (7th of June) after our arrival in Sheffield, a family gathering was planned. This is something my sisters-in-law organize for us every year when I'm over in Yorkshire, and it is always a part of the holidays I very much look forward to.
The original idea was cousin Rob's; some years ago, he said it was such a shame that these days, the family only seem to be getting together at funerals, and shouldn't we create more happy occasions for all of us to meet up? And so we did. For me, it is the best way to see everybody - if I wanted to visit all the aunts and cousins and in-laws and their families by using public transport, I'd be spending 90 % of my holiday time on buses and trains.
This year, the location was The Boat Inn at Sprotbrough, a small town near Doncaster where we'd not been before.

It had been raining all morning, but we didn't mind. For a few hours, all that mattered were the about 20 people gathered in a room at The Boat Inn, and the delicious food we ate.
I had a chicken, ham and leek pie and for dessert, a selection of Belgian chocolate cake and peanut butter & chocolate cake - yumm!
Here is the website for The Boat Inn, if you are interested in seeing more pictures of its nice interior.



By the time we had all finished eating, the rain stopped, and so a small part of our group went out for a walk along the river Don and into Sprotbrough itself. Guess which part of the group I was in :-) By the way, the pub claims to have had Sir Walter Scott as their most famous guest. Apparently, he wrote some of his novel "Ivanhoe" here.






When we returned to the pub, we found the others had all gone to one of the aunt's houses, where we met up with them again for several more hours of chatting and laughing, food and drinks. It was great to see them all after a whole year had passed.

Eventually, we were taken back to Sheffield by an uncle and aunt who live in nearby Chapeltown. This beautiful rainbow greeted us when we arrived at the hotel:


What had been a meeting for a pub lunch had lasted until nearly 9.00 pm - a very good day was had by all, I think!

18 comments:

  1. I love family gatherings, and you seem to have a very large family in Yorkshire, ,more than I had realized from your other posts. Your cousin Rob had a very good idea to meet for happy occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The family is indeed large! My mother-in-law is the eldest of five, her husband (who died decades before I entered the picture) was the youngest of three which makes for several aunts, uncles and cousins on both sides. My husband was the youngest of four, and there are the siblings-in-law with their respective spouses and children, plus an assortment of family friends whom we like to include whenever possible.
      It's a pity that cousin Rob couldn't make it this year, and last year, to the gatherings, but at least we talked on the phone, and during the year stay in touch by email. Rob was very close to my husband, and staying in touch means as much to him as to me, I guess.

      Delete
  2. Lovely looking pub. And from the looks of that church, it might have had a very interesting interior too, it looks as if it was built piecemeal over a long period. I have never heard of Srpotbrough but will remember it now - such an unusual name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We would have liked to have a closer look at the church, but if I remember correctly, the doors were firmly locked.
      As for the name, wikipedia says that it "originates from the Old English sprote ('shoot', 'twig') and burh ('fortification'), as suggested by the Domesday Book entry Sproteburg; the name may reflect the hasty manner in which the fortification was constructed and / or may be a reference to the building material used."

      Delete
  3. A beautiful way to get together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a great way to have a family reunion! Love all your pictures- especially the double rainbow at the end, :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rainbows are SO hard to photograph - I hardly ever find the result living up to what my eyes saw. This one (or two) turned out alright, though :-)

      Delete
  5. That's a beautiful Inn Sign; I loved seeing and recording those (by taking pictures and sometimes sketches) and knowing that they were originally made for people who could not read; thus a mermaid on Mermaid Inn, a swan on Swan, Two Bulls, etc.
    A place that looks to be brimming with character and peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a nice place, and I wouldn't mind going back there some other time - maybe after less rain, when the path along the river is walkable without having to wear wellies :-)

      Delete
  6. I must admit Ambassador that I have never been to Sprotborough. Soon I shall walk there and post some pictures too. Thanks for the unintended tip. Best wishes, YP (Designated Ruler of UpNorth)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who says it was an unintended tip, Ruler?

      Delete
  7. I think it’s wonderful that you are so good about keeping in touch with ‘your’ Yorkshire family and that you find such a warm welcome there.
    One can never have enough 'good relations'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, Friko, and they & the good relationship(s) we have mean a lot to me.

      Delete
  8. "Sprotburgh?" I thought to myself; I've never heard of such a town. Then I realised, of course, that it isn't a separate town as such and felt much relieved. The Inn certainly looks good. I no longer have any friends in Doncaster so the chances of going there are slim but if I do then at least I will know where to have lunch. I'd be hard pressed to find that many people in the family with whom to have a reunion. Changed days from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, wikipedia has this to say about Sprotbrough not being a separate town: "Sprotbrough and Cusworth is a civil parish in the Metropolitan Borough of Doncaster in South Yorkshire, England. It lies 3 miles (4.8 km) to the north west of Doncaster town centre and is split by the A1(M) motorway. It lies 1.5 miles (2.4 km) from Scawsby, and has a population of 12,166."
      Reading this, one would never guess at the beauty of the place - it sounds awfully dry and sober when you read it like this!

      Delete
  9. Just now getting to leave a comment.... You MUST know that I love this!! Oh my, I can't tell you how much...and you know I would have walked along with you beside that beautiful river! I looked at the photos of The Boat Inn at the link that you gave us, GORGEOUS! HA, ha, I meant that the place was gorgeous, but you may take it as a compliment for yourself too, if you like. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I'm not in any of these photos, Kay - not on here, and of course not on The Boat Inn's website :-)
      Yes, it was a very nice place, we all enjoyed our stay and the meal.

      Delete