Sunday 12 July 2015

Walking Again

If you have been reading my blog for a while, you already know that my parents have an allotment and that my Mum and I love going there on foot (at least for part of the way). We usually take the train from our home town, get off about half way there, and walk the rest. That walk takes around 1 1/2 hours, depending on how many short breaks and photo stops there are in between.

Two Sundays ago, we did just that. Here are the pictures I took along the way; if you like, have a look at how things have changed since the end of April, when we last did this walk.

The first one shows the river Neckar with the picturesque town of Marbach, as seen from the train approaching Marbach.


This one is the view from the bench in the shade of a tree, where we took a little rest after having climbed the first hill of our walk. 



Fields and orchards already gave the impression of it being several weeks later in the year than it actually was.





Crossing the Murr in Steinheim:


By the time we arrived at the allotment, my Dad had already made coffee and laid the table (including flowers from the garden) on the patio for the three of us. My Mum had made raspberry muffins (the berries were, of course, from the garden as well).

After a while, I went for another walk, this time on my own. You know I had to check on my favourite place, the grassy path between fields and the woods where I've never come across anyone else.


Today was the same - I had the path all to myself. I took a different route back to the allotment, through the woods, where I saw some beautiful flowers in the sunny patches:


I arrived back at the allotment about an hour or so later. It had been a perfect Sunday for me.

16 comments:

  1. The campanulas are wild??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tabor, these just grew next to the path in the woods.

      Delete
  2. Some great pictures from your walk but I especially liked Photo 18 - the picture of the scarecrow with the pink bag. It seems to be very effective at scaring birds away as there are none in the field behind it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is an effective scarecrow, because it moves in a most realistic way, swinging the handbag at everyone and everything that comes too close for comfort.

      Delete
  3. Nice walk. I can totally see why you'd like to repeat it every now and then :) While we still had my parents' house out in the countryside, sometimes when I took the bus out there I got off a couple of stops early to walk part of the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good way to approach a place, isn't it, walking there. One sees and hears so much more than by rushing there in a car or on a bus.

      Delete
  4. Curious. I did comment, but it seems not to have shown up.........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristi, this is your only comment to this post, but you did comment to the previous one I think.

      Delete
  5. I love that you walked to the allotment with your Mum and having your Dad there waiting with coffee, and all three of you having those homemade raspberry muffins. That sounds perfect to me!
    And then, I love the walk that you had by yourself too. You know how I love wildflowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just as perfect as it sounds, Kay.
      I saw many more flowers along the way but I knew I wasn't going to be able to capture their beauty on camera, I am not very good at that.

      Delete
    2. Believe me, I know what you mean! When I see a wildflower, I just point it out to Richard and he does the rest!

      Delete
  6. Trying again....Lovely photos and a great destination to your walk! The picture of you is great but I did wonder whether the shoes you are wearing would be comfortable enough for a long walk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was my immediate thought too Kristi.

      Delete
    2. They were, because it was a very warm day, and I already knew that I wasn't going to cover any difficult terrain (no steep, rocky slopes or anything like that). Maybe they don't look that way in the picture, but these shoes are nearly flat.

      Delete
  7. That is exactly the sort of walk (with the perfect ending) that I would love to do with my brother to point out all the butterflies and beetles and wild flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plenty of that around, too, Graham, but you already know that I am way too slow and clumsy with my camera to take any good pictures of butterflies.

      Delete