Monday 23 May 2016

St. Helier

Tuesday, the 10th of May, was going to be our "Town Day". We took an early bus from Bouley Bay into St. Helier (only 7 km apart - see map -, but the bus of course takes in many tiny settlements and villages along the way, making the trip about half an hour long) and walked around the city for some time.


When the clock struck 12, the figures on the facade of Rivoli Jewellers began to move, and there were at least two different scenes - I was too slow to capture them on camera in time. The one you see here was accompanied by bells ringing out the tune of "Who Wants To Be a Milliionaire":


This toad does not always carry a seagull on its head:


The following pictures are all O.K.'s, and I am glad I am allowed to use them here!
As you can see, the tide was out when we arrived. It is a little odd to see all these boats grounded, but of course they don't stay like this all the time.



There was more water in a different part of the harbour:


It's not all picturesque little fishing boats and rich folks' yachts there. This is very much a working harbour:
 

We did a little bit of shopping (mostly of the window type). St. Helier's centre is not unlike many other towns and cities I have visited in the UK, with the familiar high street names present, such as M&S, Costa Coffee, Jo Malone, Molton Brown, Boots, Monsoon, Dorothy Perkins, Waterstone's, WHSmith and so on. There are maybe a few more glossy boutiques and plenty more jewellers than what you'd find in an average town of the same size (roughly 35.000 inhabitants) elsewhere, but this is Jersey for you - its special administrative and political situation makes it particularly attractive for People With Money.

Later, we grabbed a quick bite to eat at Marks & Spencers. The food and drink was alright, but I was not impressed with the upkeep and general atmosphere of the restaurant - it wasn't very clean, and it was rather noisy (which is of course not really the restaurant's fault). Still, we needed something to eat, and sitting down for a few minutes was welcome, too - there was quite a bit of walking in store for us in the afternoon, when we went around the harbour area and across the sands to Elizabeth Castle.

That, however, will be the subject of another post.

8 comments:

  1. I am so enjoying seeing the Island through your eyes. It's an Island about which I know very little and every bit of information increases my interest in knowing more. Whilst it's not strictly relevant I'm now reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society because of comments on your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Graham, it's nice to know my posts are both enjoyable and interesting!
      Ever since the comments about the Potato Peel Society book, I have been thinking about re-reading it - I am still pretty sure I've read it, but it must have been years ago and my memory of it is a bit fuzzy.

      Delete
  2. I am very impressed with the photo of the seagull in flight!
    I have fond memories of speaking with someone from Jersey and he really made me want to see it and your posts do the same!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O.K. had meant to photograph the seagull while it was sitting on top of the sign, but it chose to fly away at just that moment. Like you, I think it makes a great picture like that - more interesting than if the bird had patiently waited :-)

      Delete
  3. I was in St Helier about 10 years ago. It does not look as if it has changed much, and I think my views were rather similar to yours about it. Not a place worth coming to the island for, but a few nice little corners. To be honest, I think I would be tired of it after a couple of hours. But I did miss that fascinating looking clock, and would love to have seen that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The museums are rather good, Jenny, as we found out on the Thursday of our Jersey week. Shops and restaurants are alright, but certainly not enough for me to consider a trip to the island - it has so much more to offer.

      Delete
  4. It's so interesting to me that your words and pictures match so well. I had the same feeling as you wrote about just looking at the pictures. As the old cliché goes, 'nothing much to write home about.' I will never understand the love of jewelry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither do I, Nan. I have some items that are precious for me for their emotional value much more than for their monetary one, and I like to wear earrings and bracelets to match my outfits. That's all!

      Delete