Wednesday 26 October 2016

For a Change...

... I was away on a weekend not for pleasure & leisure, but for work. Well, not exactly work, but work-related: Earlier this month, I attended a conference for Data Protection Officers, which is what I do for a living (not attending conferences!).

In order to get there, I had to ride on three different trains. The journey went according to schedule, but took me 3 1/2 hours whereas by car, it is just under 2 hours. Never mind - I am used to it, and at least everything was on time!

The small town of Bad Windsheim (another "Bad" after my two posts about Bad Wimpfen!) is in Bavaria, not in my home state of Baden-Wuerttemberg. To be more precise, that part of Bavaria is Franconia. People there speak a different dialect than in other parts of Bavaria, and it prides itself on its unique culture and history (doesn't every region?).

Anyway. Bad Windsheim is picturesque, and I did get to see some of it on my way from the train station to the hotel and back on the next day. But it was very cold that weekend, so cold that it stopped me from going for a proper walk when I had about an hour's time between the end of the conference and my train.

The hotel was clean, the food was really good, and staff were friendly and helpful. My room had a definite 1980s-90s look and feel to it:




During the night, the pipe between the sink and the wall in my bathroom developed a leak. When I went to the bathroom the next morning, I found about 1/3 of the floor under water! Good job my room was laid out for two people but occupied only by me - I had plenty of towels which I used to keep the water in check until I was ready to go downstairs for breakfast (and the second part of the conference) and could tell the lady at reception about the leaking pipe.

From my window on the 4th floor, I saw this:



The statue next to the church is "Roland". He was put there as a war memorial (for those who died in WWI) in 1928 and is 8 m high. I looked at him again at night before I went to bed and am sure he silently walks the old streets of his town in the dark.

The conference was interesting and conversation during the intervals and at meals was good. I arrived back home around late on Saturday evening, glad all three trains had, once again, been on time for the trip back.

10 comments:

  1. Is that Roland as in a legendary medieval knight, or even pre-medieval...? (Going to Wikipedia to refresh my memory a little: Yes, magic sword 'n all...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is dubbed Roland after that legendary knight. But I've read elsewhere on the internet that this particular statue is actually not really meant to be a "Roland". Information is a bit confusing and contradictory on this matter. I liked his stern, sad face. There was something very touching about it, not frightening.

      Delete
  2. Yay for trains that are on time; I like the architecture and statue of Roland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay indeed for trains on time! Sadly, that has become a bit of a rarity here over the last 10-15 years.

      Delete
  3. It looks like there is quite a lot of traffic-free area around the hotel. I like that. The room certainly looks rather like some of the hotels I stayed in in Germany in the '80s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much of the historic town centre is car-free, which was good. Deliveries are allowed at certain hours, so that restaurants and shops can keep well stocked.
      I'd not seen such a look in a hotel room in a while!

      Delete
  4. I have had a happy 10 minutes reading about German bedding styles.... I have seen from other pics that you have posted how they fold the covers in hotels. I was introduced to sleeping under a "doona" by relatives who spent time living in Norway and i have a luxurious cloud of goosedown to snuggle under - but then it is king sized - whereas in Germany you both get your own cover even in a "double" bed. This is probably very sensible for many people. I don't fold mine - I just fluff it and spread over the bed - no top sheet. However, it is interesting to read how people don't know how to make a German bed up - there is even a youtube video on how to do it....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! I don't fold my covers/duvets, either. When I am on my own, there is only one on my bed, anyway, and like you, I just spread it over the bed with no top sheet. My bed is not the classic double size but what we call "French", wider than a single, narrower than a double.

      Delete
  5. Three trains, there and back, and they were all on time? Here, that is unheard of and I'm glad your journey was smooth. I was intrigued by how the hotel staff arranged the duvet on your bed, and read the comments above with interest. I much prefer is when hotels give a duvet rather than a top sheet under a throw. You never know how often that throw/coverlet has been washed... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rare to have a train journey like that in Germany, too, Gillian! Last night, I had only two trains to take home from O.K.'s, but only one of them was on time. The second one was 15 minutes late.
      Uugh... you're right about the throw/coverlet! I prefer duvets anyway, but also like having the choice of an additional blanket in case I need it.

      Delete