Saturday 10 December 2016

Amarettini Cupcakes

In my recent post about the annual Schrottwichteln with my friends, I mentioned that I had spent Thursday evening baking, and also said that I was going to show you what in another post.

I made cupcakes of my own creation, combining amarettini (the small almondy biscuits), amaretto (the almond liqueur) and dark chocolate.
The recipe I used as a base is this one, but I changed it in several ways.

Here are the ingredients:

I checked the weight of the dark chocolate and the amarettini and used less flour and sugar for the dough accordingly.

The biscuits and chocolate I put in a zip-up plastic bag and smashed them to (not too small) crumbles with a rolling pin.

At first, I found the dough was still a bit too liquid, so I added a little more flour until it looked and felt right.

Then I filled the cups about 2/3 and put it in the oven.

They looked ready to me!


There was enough dough for a second tray; all in all, I made 20 cupcakes.

For the frosting (or topping), I used only half the amount from the original recipe, as I remembered how it seemed to never end. I do not own a piping (or icing) bag, but the creamy frosting can be just as easily applied using a tea spoon. Each cupcake was topped with an amarettino.
(There was a tablespoon of amaretto in the frosting as well as in the dough.)



My friends seemed to like them well enough. I served them with vanilla ice cream shaped like stars, on a dark chocolate base and dusted with cinammon - of course bought, not home-made. You can see the star-shaped ice cream here if you like.

Since there had been only six of us on Friday, I still had cupcakes left for Sunday, when O.K. and I had invited my parents and sister over for coffee and cake. And there were still two or three left after that, which I gave to my favourite neighbour, the elderly lady whose garden I see from my kitchen window.

Last night, I made another batch of cupcakes. These will be taken to O.K.'s today on the train, so that we can eat them with the family on Sunday. Again, they are different; this time, there is dairy milk chocolate with pistachios inside, and the frosting is with cinnamon and cocoa, a nice chocolaty brown. I hope they have turned out alright - I didn't try them!

7 comments:

  1. Wow! All that sounds wonderful. I didn't know you like to bake. I wish I could sample some of your treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I still lived at home with my parents, I used to bake a LOT - almost every weekend, and there were always enough people around to eat it all up :-)
      Later, with just the two of us, and then on my own, I came off it a bit, but I still enjoy baking when I have a good reason to do so. I also like cooking when I know there will be someone to enjoy the result with me.

      Delete
  2. I have a friend who absolutely loves Amaretto in all it's forms. This might be the second idea in a row that I'll be using.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, please let me know how your friend liked the cupcakes, Graham. You could add an extra spoonful of Amaretto (using a little less milk) in the dough, and a bit more to the frosting, if your friend really loves the taste.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that tip Meike. I will let you know. It might be a good New Year gift.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. They weren't half bad, even if I say so myself :-)

      Delete