Wednesday 6 September 2017

One Stage, Six Countries

In my previous post, I told you we went to France to attend the Festival du Houblon, a festival dedicated to music and dance from five continents. We only caught a few hours of what goes on in the town of Haguenau for almost a whole week, and did not get to see and hear groups from all five continents, but what we did see was amazing and wonderful.

My photos can of course only give you a poor impression of the whirl of colours and sounds, but you are also spared the hot, humid air in the hall and getting stuck to a plastic chair for hours ;-)

If you want to know more about the groups, simply click back one post, follow the link to the festival's website and there, go to the page about the musicians and groups - they provide links to youtube videos from each group there.

I particularly liked some of the ladies' costumes and just wish I had better photos to show you. All music was played live by their own accompanying bands.

Here they are! First, a group from Uruguay:

 
 
 
 
Next was a group of Swabian folk dancers, dressed in traditional costumes of various towns (not all of them wearing the same costumes). In traditional Swabian peasant's dances, there is quite a lot of cheerfulness, but in comparison to what the preceeding group from South America had been showing, it all looked rather tame. Still, they are traditions in their own right, and not be esteemed any less for just being different.

 
 
An Italian group of drummers and flag spinners were very impressive - even though their fanfare trumpets (not sure whether this is the right term for their brass instruments) were rather out of tune. Of course them wearing my favourite colours of yellow and light blue was an extra bonus!

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Bulgaria followed:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Bolivia started off with a somewhat scary dance of masked dancers:

 
But I really, really liked those skirts and blouses the ladies wore:

 
 
They ended their performance with a warrior dance:

 

The show went on; China was next, I believe, but it was already 10:30 pm and our bus was waiting to take us all back home across the border to Germany. It was a very different Saturday night for me!

10 comments:

  1. That sounds like a load of fun. It's a pity you didn't stay to the end to see the Yorkshire clog dancers.
    Any chance of you posting one of your fashion pictures but this time with you wearing a traditional Swabian peasant costume? You could also wear it for work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had I known the Yorkshire clog dancers were scheduled for the Grand Finale, I would have stayed longer! :-)
      I do not have a traditional Swabian costume, I'm afraid. But some of them are rather becoming, and all are made with much love for detail.

      Delete
  2. Exciting! And brings back memories of when my children were in a Hungarian Dance Group and took part in an international folk dance festival every year. This sort of ethnic dancing event is thrilling and I love the very different styles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there are very different styles, but you can also see many elements they have in common - there is always something about the relationship between man and woman, and often you'll find the man do some stomping and jumping, while the ladies twirl about in their lovely skirts.

      Delete
  3. That does sound like a lot of fun and like you, I would have enjoyed the costumes also.
    Oh dear, I just have to ask you...have you seen the film "National Lampoon's European Vacation"? Oh it is just SO funny! When the family is in Germany and the main character gets up to dance...if you haven't seen it, you must! (Others will give you great memories of Europe...me, I think of comedies!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of this film, but if you say it's funny, I must look it up :-)
      The nice thing about this festival was that it also brought to attention countries outside Europe. I was rather impressed by the Bolivian band leader who spoke fluent French - he came across as a very nice gentleman. And I was amazed at how well I understood all the French that was spoken around me, and on stage by the MC.

      Delete
  4. Smiles and tears ... Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tears, cat? I hope you're alright! Thanks for popping in anyway :-)

      Delete
  5. I know this must have a been special time with such a wonderful international flavor.

    ReplyDelete