Thursday 12 April 2018

Spa Break Continued

The day after we arrived was Wednesday, the 28th of March. It was a grey day, and we did go out for a walk but took few pictures:


This was the pattern we established for ourselves for this day and the next: Sleep as long as we like, have a sumptuous and leisurely breakfast, don our walking boots and go for a walk until around lunch time, get back to the hotel, undress and put on our bathrobes (provided for by the hotel), go downstairs to the spa area, have our scheduled massages, spend the rest of the afternoon spa-ing and resting, go back upstairs to our room, get dressed properly and sit down for our three-course dinner at the hotel restaurant, accompanied by a glass of wine or two - all organic food and drink.

On the Thursday, we had less time for our after-breakfast walk plus it was looking very much like rain, so we did not move far from the village, as you can see. But it was still good to be out in the fresh air, and although the woodland had more of an autumnal atmosphere, there were signs of spring if you were looking closely enough.

St. Georg, Limpach:


The vicarage next to the church - have a close look at the windows on the far right. Notice anything unusual?


 This is how far we dared to go that morning:



Woods still looking more like autumn:




The barn on the other side of the road from the hotel is part of the hotel owners' farm. It was built by the current owners' ancestors in the 18th century and is still used as a barn.



The next day was sunny and brought the opportunity for more pictures before we had to leave, but these will have to wait for another post.

Speaking of which, I don't know yet when I will be able to post again. Because tomorrow morning, I'll go to hospital for surgery on my left eye. The operation is on Friday, the 13th - good job I am not superstitious! My surgeon told me to expect to stay in hospital for about 4 days and then stay home for at least two weeks, banned from work and sports. Vision should be restored by Day 5 or so, but I'll have to avoid anything that could increase the inner eye pressure. That will probably mean I won't be allowed (or able) to read and write online for a while, at least not for more than a few minutes at a time to begin with.

But I am definitely going to be back as soon as it is feasible and risk-free.
"See" you soon, I hope!

23 comments:

  1. Germany has such wonderful landscapes, scenery and buildings. Yes, I will travel (Millie permitting, I can’t leave her with others any longer, she’s too old now) and I am looking forward to exploring my own country most of all. Maybe I’ll spend time there and search for a place to live?

    I take it you had a good time? All that fresh air and pampering. And eating good food as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The areas around the Rhine, the Black Forest and Lake Constance are so beautiful, I don't know which I like best - good job they are all relatively close by!

      Yes, we had a good time there. I guess it wasn't the last time we've been to this hotel.

      Delete
  2. Sorry, I forgot: the best of luck for your eye op.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interested in your eye surgery ... four days in hospital seems a long, long time! I hope you come through with flying colors, colors you can see well. Will be thinking of you and waiting for your post-op posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill! It is a retina problem; a layer of cells has formed on the retina, resulting in a "puckering" (or gliosis) so that I can not see anything straight and proper with my left eye. The layer is going to be peeled off; not the nicest thing to think about, but it needs doing and I'll be under full anaesthesy anyway.

      Delete
  4. All the best for your surgery.... and your holiday sounds wonderful xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sending best wishes for your surgery and recovery. Your spa time sounds so lovely. With relatives around the Bodensee I have taken many day trips in the area and love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, Kristi! Sorry if this comment is short but I am using speech input on my iPad as I still find typing rather difficult.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like the ideal sort of spa break, what a nice place. Best wishes for your surgery - that will have been today as I write, and I hope all went very well for you. I am sure I am not the only one who will be eagerly checking to see when we hear from you next. And by then, hopefully the weather will be warmer and more spring life. Buds are absolutely determined to show themslves on some trees - but not all. I don't think I've known such a late spring. It seems as if your weather has been as (mostly) grey and cold as ours. So fingers crossed all round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Jenny thank you! My surgery went very well, I've been home since Monday lunchtime but still cannot read or write hello Jenny thank you! My surgery went very well, I've been home since Monday lunchtime but still cannot read or write more than a few minutes at a time. I am using speech and put on my iPad to reply. Spring has turned into summer without anything in between!

      Delete
  7. As I write this you will have had your surgery and I hope that by the time you read this all is well.

    I can't help despite it's lack of importance in the circumstances commenting on the windows. It looks as though two windows have been converted to plastic frames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Graham! Thank you, all went well and what I need most now is patients. I cannot read or write properly yet which is why I am using speech and put on my iPad for this. I am so glad you commented on the windows, I thought nobody would! They are indeed painted on, something I would never have noticed myself if it had not been for OK to point it out.

      Delete
  8. The sky looks a bit cloudy like here. But in our case it's the scirocco, we can't take it anymore. It's been around for two weeks and it's hot and stuffy and dusty, as you can imagine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Francesca! The warm weather it's ours now, Spring has moved directly into summer it seems.

      Delete
  9. Oh, I hope all has gone well with the surgery! Take your time and don't overdo things when you get back home. You'll have to use your "inner vision" for a while and look back on nice memories inside your head - like your birthday party, and this holiday ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Monica! Yes, I need a lot of patience now, as I am not allowed to read much because of the eye. movement it requires. but I can use speech and put on my iPad, which is fun somehow :-)

      Delete
  10. Thank you so much for saying when the operation was. You are at four days as I write this. I hope all is going well, and as expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Nan! Surgery was on Friday, all went very well. I came home Monday lunchtime and will now have to be patient for about two more weeks before I will be allowed or able to read etc.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the great photos. Please take good care.

    ReplyDelete