Sunday 15 July 2018

A Leisurely Stroll

You already know that I visit Ludwigsburg's palace grounds often, and never find it boring. Earlier this week, I posted a review of a book (click two posts back if you want to know more) set right there in the park.

One of my longest-going friends (we've known each other from school since we were about ten years old) lives not far away from one of my clients' offices, and as I worked there on Thursday, we arranged for me to walk over to her place after work and then go for a walk in the palace grounds together.

It was a lovely evening, not too hot but still sunny and pleasantly warm. The soft late afternoon / evening light is so beautiful on the park, its flowers and buildings. We were the last visitors to the fairytale garden, which is inside the park but closes its gates earlier than the rest of the park. I apologize for not having taken any pictures of the fairytale scenes; In my opinion, they simply do not offer themselves very well for photos and would not come across as nice as they are in reality.





I was home just ater 7:00 pm; enough time to do the ironing and make myself something to eat to sit down with for the main evening news on TV.

My friend and I agreed that we should do this more often, as there is nothing like a leisurely stroll in the park and chat with a friend to clear your mind after an intense day at the office.

16 comments:

  1. You ask about Acorn Bank - yes, you can go round parts of the house - there is an orchard, a wood, a walled garden, a tea room, a herb garden and a greenhouse complex. Added to that the views long distance into the Lakes are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pleasant evening stroll. There is a very special rapport with friends you have known since your early childhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is indeed, Kristi. We don't even need to talk about the childhood memories we have in common; it is enough to know they are there.

      Delete
  3. How delightful to have somewhere like that to stroll. I understand the point about the fairytale gardens. But that tower shown in the picture directly after your comment about it, looked rather fairytale to me anyhow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Jenny! That tower/castle was never a real building, it was created as a picturesque "ruined" castle from the start, as was the fashion back then. It became part of the fairytale garden when that first opened in the 1950s and still houses Rapunzel, who lets her tresses down the other side of the tower, and Sleeping Beauty, who sleeps forever behind the shuttered windows.

      Delete
  4. I would be there EVERY day! So beautiful, I know you know how lucky you are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't make it there every day, but I do try often. I used to work at Ludwigsburg's public library just across the road from the park. During those years, I spent many a lunch break on a bench there, with a sandwich and book for lunch :-)

      Delete
  5. Ha! Is Rapunzel's braid still a platinum blond?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd say she is more a wheat blonde. The bow at the end of her plait used to be of a more or less faded red fabric. It has been replaced years ago by a rather ugly fake leather one, not something I'd expect Rapunzel to wear by her own choice...

      Delete
  6. I read this yesterday and got waylaid before I replied. I was very happy to read it again and pore over the pictures. You said "a leisurely stroll in the park and chat with a friend to clear your mind" I don't do it after (or even before) work (employed work anyway) but I do walk with friends and it's wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking on my own is something I have always enjoyed, but every now and then, being with a friend is even better.

      Delete
  7. Fairytale garden ... sounds and looks enchanting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, even though I must say I still prefer the original scenes and figures to anything that came afterwards.

      Delete