Wednesday 24 October 2018

Read in 2018 - 17: Ruth Robinson's Year of Miracles

"Ruth Robinson's Year of Miracles" is, as far as I know, Frances Garrood's fourth novel, and also the fourth I have read. In short: I think it is my favourite!



I really enjoyed meeting the cast of characters. Everyone came across fully fleshed-out, with their own personality. Most of the story takes place at a more or less rundown country house with a collection of ramshackle outbuildings. While I don't think I could stand the unkempt state of the house, it is described in a way that makes it feel like a true home.



At first, I did not have much sympathy for Ruth. A grown-up woman who is capable of holding a regular job and a flat ends up with an unplanned pregnancy - in this day and age, that is simply not necessary.

But Ruth is the kind of person you can not help liking after a while, although she never tries to elicit compassion from anyone.



Circumstances make it impossible for her to stay at her own flat or move back in with her parents, and so there is just one option: her uncles' country house.



Now, these uncles are as important to the story as Ruth herself. I won't tell you more about them, only that I hope you will like them as much as I did, and I am sure Frances had a lot of fun with them while she was writing about them.



After many more things happening - some of them dramatic, others comical -, the main storyline ends neatly in a way that should satisfy every reader. The only thing I would have liked to know more about was the main "miracle" (again, I am not going to tell you more as I want you to read the book for yourselves). There is hardly any mention of it anymore in the last third or so of the book, and the natural (or supernatural?) cause is not revealed.



So, please go and buy this book - and then read it. I don't believe you will be disappointed. There are enough bits that you may find funny (or should that be witty?), and enough to inspire some deeper thoughts, if you're so inclined - it depends on you, as the book has it all.

For my reviews of her other books, simply type "Garrood" in the search box in the upper left corner of my blog. If you want to visit Frances' own blog, click here.

20 comments:

  1. I shall recommend this to my group of friends. I belong and book group but also have a group of friends who swap books to read. At present we are reading Patrick Gayle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you and your friends have similar reading tastes? I rarely recommend books to family and friends here; I have done so in the past but sometimes they were disappointed with what I had really enjoyed.

      Delete
  2. I wrote down this title and author so I will remember to see if our library has this book. I've been buying too many books LOL, is that possible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many books? That's impossible :-) If you run out of space, you can always give some away to a charity shop or sell a few on ebay or booklooker.
      I

      Delete
  3. I very much like the sound of this book. A "rundown country house" gets me every time! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Nan! I can imagine you'd really like Ruth and the others.

      Delete
    2. THANK YOU!! I absolutely loved this book, and would never have heard of it if not for you!!

      Delete
    3. Oh, I'm so pleased to hear that, Nan! I hope Frances will return to read the latest comments and find yours, too.

      Delete
  4. It's on my Kindle now........I don't read a lot of worthy, serious books at the moment. But this sounds nice. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was quick - thank you, Kristi :-)
      It is not highbrow literature, but it never claims to be, nor does it have to be in order to be a good read.

      Delete
  5. Thnak you for this lovely review, Meike. I’m so glad you enjoyed the book. It’s a bit of a mad romp, but I had a lot of fun writing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A bit" of a mad romp? That is an understatement if I've ever seen one :-)
      I could sense the fun you had writing it while I was reading it.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed it too. (My review included in my "Read in August" post on my blog in early September.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have I missed that one? I was on holiday in the first half of September and did not have the best internet connection in the Bavarian Forest. Or maybe I simply don't remember your review; I must go and look it up.

      Delete
  7. I have this on my Kindle, and will read it in due course, glad you liked it. (It is always rather discouraging isn't it when you have bought something and then read a bad review. )
    I don't think you would like my house right now, it is such a mess that it is quite depressing. This is partly because i am in the middle of a big sort out but even so...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind other people's houses being somewhat messy - as long as I do not live there :-)
      My own place could do with a sort out in parts, too, but right now there are more important things going on in my life.

      Delete
  8. I'm about a third of the way through now and really enjoying the characters in this book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a fast reader, Kristi! Thank you for letting me know; I was hoping you'd like them.

      Delete
  9. I'm beginning to feel that I got my review slightly wrong. I didn't think this was the best of the four when I read it but the friends I have lent the book to (sorry Frances - fewer sales) have all loved it very much. I didn't think I would remember it very easily either but in actual fact the characters have all stayed with me as if I'd read the book yesterday. Contrary to what I may have said in the review I will be reading it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always an indicator of a good book if we keep thinking of the characters after we have finished reading it, isn't it. Hopefully, Frances will return here to read the newer comments, too. She will be well chuffed :-)

      Delete