Friday 24 April 2020

From Monday Onwards...

...wearing a simple face mask will be mandatory in my part of Germany. 

This is valid for everyone above the age of six, every time one is in public (not in one's own garden, on the balcony or similar), such as walking to the shops, inside a shop, using public transports (including the time spent waiting at bus stops, on platforms etc.). Wearing a mask is NOT mandatory for just walking or running, and of course people who for medical reasons can not wear them (think people with breathing difficulties, for example).
The point is: Masks should be worn whenever and whereever the recommended distance of 1.5 m can not be guaranteed, which is often the case in shops and on public transport.

Of course our government does not mean certified masks such as worn by medical staff; these should still be reserved only for those who really need them. Fabric masks, home-made or bought ones, are recommended; the guidelines explicitly state that knitted or crocheted masks should not be used.

There are simple instructions for handling the masks (wash your hands before picking the mask up, do not touch the fabric but hold the mask by its rubber bands or ribbons, wash used masks in the washing machine with normal washing powder), and an FAQ tells us what is useless (spraying masks with disinfectant spray, for instance) and what should never be done (shaking out a worn mask, the way you would shake a table cloth with crumbs from a meal).

I understand all this and will of course observe the new regulations. 
Some of our shops are now allowed to open again (supermarkets were open all the time) and even some schools (at least for those classes who are supposed to have exams now), but we are still far away from what we used to know as normal, and of course all those measures are cautiously monitored. If infection rates should rise again, the restrictions will be tightened again.
Let's hope it won't come to that, although I would not be surprised if it did.

Here I am with the mask my Mum's friend made for me. 

The inside is white linen, cut from things that used to belong to my grandmother, still with her monogram stitched into it. 
My Mum's friend is a trained nurse, and she recommended to use a hot steam iron on the mask after washing, which of course I did. 
According to the government guidelines, that is not necessary; what really makes the virus harmless is soap, simple soap, as in washing powder. And of course the virus will only be in/on my mask if I am infected - which at the moment I am pretty sure I am not! Or if anyone carrying the virus will cough or sneeze directly in my face or otherwise come close enough to place it on the outside of my mask - again, this is very unlikely to happen.

So far, I have only worn my mask once. 
I went to my eye doctor on Monday of this week, and I knew they were asking patients to wear a mask while at the surgery, and so I brought mine. As soon as I was back home (public transport was no problem - there were so few passengers on the train that we were very far apart), I put it in the washing. Now it is ready for use, should I need to go shopping. As masks are not mandatory for walks and runs (and on these occasions, I can control my distance to other people very well), I shall not wear my mask then.

18 comments:

  1. I shall not be surprised if this rule comes into force here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some German cities have already been having such a rule in place for a week or more.

      Delete
  2. This is going to be common everywhere. Masks will be the new designer statement of 2020.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Masks are mandatory in my state if one goes into any store--grocery, hardware or places for take out food or uses public transportation. Have a feeling that will continue for at least the rest of the year. I haven't been off my property in more than six weeks so not an issue for me, but a couple of weeks ago I made masks for all my family members, a friend and her elderly mother, friends of my family who are essential workers, and colleagues of my DH who are also essential workers. Luckily I had a stash of tight-woven cotton fabrics and just enough slim elastic to make about 36 of them. Lots of sewers have made hundreds, but I am not in that category. Though I suppose I need to make at least another couple of dozen for rotation purposes. With ties instead of elastic.

    Our governor is supposed to make an announcement today about future plans for schools and businesses--he has been better than most at showing steady leadership and listening to the experts. Unlike Germany, there is no comprehensive US plan to deal with this crisis--one that is a marathon and not a sprint. I admire Merkel. You're lucky to have a scientist as a leader rather than the orange charlatan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did/are doing well, making masks for your family and friends! I can't sew; the most exciting thing I can do with a needle is sewing on a loose button, and I have to take a day off work to accomplish that and rather buy a new blouse!

      There is an ongoing public debate here in Germany about how much our politicians should allow scientists to "rule". They don't really rule, but they recommend - which is what they should be doing, and politicians should be listening to the experts, no matter whether it is about the virus or climate change or other issues.

      Delete
  4. Not mandatory here but requested that we do wear masks whenever in contact with others, such as in grocery stores and the few other business permitted to stay open because they are essential. I've worn mine on the few occasions I've had to shop for food (and to collect my new phone!), and when a workman came to work outside the house - don't allow anyone inside. I've had no food deliveries - still cooking daily and enjoying it!
    Our North Carolina stay-at-home date has been extended today from April 29 to May 8 and non-essential businesses must remain closed. Here in North Carolina we have 7,800 reported cases of which 486 cases are hospitalized, and there have been 278 deaths across our state. Lower numbers than many other states but still cause for concern. Of course numbers change daily and it doesn't seem we are in any way out of the woods yet, but so many business owners are furious that they cannot open up again and they are protesting in large crowds outside the state legislature building daily. Our biggest problem now seems to be numbers of deaths rising in nursing homes and assistive care facilities - all so very sad.

    Your mask is awesome - having your grandmother's fabric with a monogram makes it all the more special!
    Take care dear Meike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too take care, dear Mary!

      The numbers alone do not tell me much; it is in proportion to the number of residents, and I think Germany is still doing relatively well in that regard, although of course there is a huge amount of people carrying the virus without knowing it, as there is still no widespread (!) testing going on.
      I fear that the re-opening of shops that started here this week and will be even more from next week onwards is coming too early; it makes people believe that the worst is over, but we'll still have a long way to go.

      Delete
  5. Such interesting regulations...They are interesting because from country to country they are different. But I think Germany is doing very well and I admire Merkel's leadership. Here every state is different. Ohio is lucky because Governor DeWine has been on top of this from the beginning. I love your mask. It is very special that your grandmother's fabric and monogram are on it. Alice made my mask but I don't really go out. Andy borrowed it once before he had his own, but they have all been laundered now so are ready if needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, the federal states of Germany and even every city/community make up their own rules in addition to the nation-wide ones, which can make things rather confusing. But there are at least efforts to have more consistent regulations; not easy to get through our federal legislative system.
      I like it, too, that my mask has my Oma's monogram on it. I wonder what she would have made of all this!

      Delete
  6. Your mask is pretty and it must be even more special to you to have your Grandmother's monogram. Here it is recommended but not required that we wear masks. I have made some and Tom and I wear them when we buy groceries. So far we have not been anywhere else. It's a strange feeling to wear a mask when we go out isn't it? I guess this is part of our new normal now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like wearing the mask at all, it feels warm and stuffy underneath and of course my glasses don't help. But I can see it makes sense (in a way), and I will wear it as required - but not when I'm only out for walks without going to any shops etc.

      Delete
  7. Just a suggestion- To help avoid your glasses steaming up, see if you can find a thin piece of malleable wire (similar to ones used to tie items in a grocery store) try threading it through the mask fabric at the top area around the bridge of your nose. You should then be able to press it around your nose bridge to form a bit of a seal there and reduce the fogging of your glasses. Some people are making masks with a little fabric channel for this purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good suggestion, Mary, thank you. My Mum's friend who made my mask has offered adding wires to the masks she has given us, so maybe I shall take her up on that. I can see how it would help against the fogging.

      Delete
  8. I also don't feel comfortable wearing a mask. Last week I wore one for the first time but while walking I kept putting it low, near my neck, I felt I couldn't breathe. So I prefer staying home than wearing one. From May 4th the government is thinking about a kind of loosening the lockdown so now we are more worried. I already saw many people in the neighborhood going around, walking in groups or jogging, they think they are now free to go out, but that's not the case. Anyway, on Monday we are supposed get all the instructions from the Prime Minister, so we are waiting. About flying, I also felt the same, it kind of got worse with time. I have read a lot about it and one thing I found out is that it can be caused by having missed the love of one parent in childhood. I immediately adopted it, because I grew up with my mother only, my father left us when I was 5 years old, and even though I saw him again after a few years, the damage had been done. My mother used to tell me that after he left I stopped eating. I would drive her crazy just to eat a bit of bread and cheese. I believe I have many psychological problems because he left. As I got older, as I said, I used to go and visit him, stay with him many weeks and so on, but I think this kind of thing affects us when we are children. Do you know the Italian singer Adriano Celentano? Well, he has the same problem, in fact he travels by car or train. He always refused invitations to sing in America because of his fear of flying. I was very happy to learn that ... ha-ha. I didn't know your first husband was Sicilian, no wonder you know so much about Sicily, I was always surprised at how much you knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends a lot on the mask; how well it fits and how tight-meshed the fabric is, and of course it is also a question of getting used to it. Luckily, we do not have to wear masks all the time here; running would be impossible I think.
      About flying: I didn't know that about Adriano Celentano (of course I know him - he is known all over the world, isn't he?). And what you say about the separation of your parents makes sense in your case.
      My family has been together all the time, so nothing like that is the cause for my irrational fear of flying - I think it has more to do with "control".

      Delete
  9. I think it is a good idea to make Masks mandatory for the safety of everyone... here it is voluntary and so many don't bother or refuse... the same types that won't socially distance either and don't take the Pandemic seriously. Since that is a threat to everyone and undoing all the containment measures everyone has sacrificed so much for already, it angers me when some are cavalier about it or choose to remain uninformed or prefer to be misinformed by hearing only what they want to hear and ignoring what they don't want to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about this! I get angry whenever I notice people being inconsiderate, which it all comes down to really. The loosening of restrictions here in Germany is going forward at a speed I find frightening, and I worry that all that we have achieved by being self-disciplined may come to nothing.

      Delete