Thursday 20 August 2020

A Birthday Party

This week, I have been posting almost every day - there is so much catching up to do before the month is over!

The 12th of August is my Mum's birthday. Yes, "Glorious Twelfth" has a different meaning in my family! Of course, a big birthday party was not feasible, but we still wanted to make the day special for her.

My parents' friend Rita lives on the ground floor in the same house, and her garden is at the back of the house, facing east, meaning it is in the shade all afternoon - perfect on a hot day such as the 12th was.

Six of us gathered there in the evening. My sister and Rita had organised everything and made the garden pretty with garlands and lights, putting chairs and tables out so that we could sit with enough distance from each other. Rita grilled meat and sausages (also some vegetarian ones for those who wanted them), there were various salads and bread, and of course cold drinks with or without alcohol.

My contributions were a well-chilled peach punch and a bowl of watermelon salad. I can't believe I have not posted the recipe on my blog before - it has been a favourite summer dish of ours for a few years now. The ingredients are watermelon, feta cheese, roasted pine nuts and chopped mint leaves, marinated with lime juice, olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. So refreshing!


Rita's cats kept us entertained, especially Keks, who managed to get hold of a large green dragonfly. Velvet, who is an old lady now, only came out for a drink and then a rest by the pond.





The day was special for me in another way, too: Usually, I go running once a week with a friend who lives close by, and once on the weekend with O.K. It has been too hot for running in the evening recently, and so my friend and I agreed to try an early morning run. On that Wednesday, I got up at 5:40 in the morning, had a sip of water, brushed my teeth, put my running things on and left the house at 5:55 in order to meet my friend at 6:00 outside her house.


It was a truly enjoyable experience and a pleasant run, perfect at that time of day! I really should do this more often - if only I didn't like my sleep so much...

16 comments:

  1. Looks like you celebrated in style. It's good to mark happy occasions, even more so at the present time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Mum would deserve to have a party thrown for her every single day - she works so hard to keep things going for my Dad and herself.

      Delete
  2. I love the photographs, especially the two cats. Your early morning run was a very good idea. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rachel, you are welcome! Thank you for popping over and commenting.

      Delete
  3. Wishing your mother many happy returns of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Mother had a wonderful celebration! The watermelon salad you made looks delicious and quite different from any I've had before. Your parents are a very handsome couple!

    I love the pictures of the cats having fun around the pond and with the dragonfly. I love to watch cats at play. If you can get yourself up early enough I imagine early morning is a wonderful time to run. It would be cooler and you can catch the sunrise while running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie! When I asked my parents' permission to show their photo on this post, my Mum said someone was probably going to mention on my Dad being handsome - the very first time I ever posted their picture some years ago, one reader wrote in her comment what a handsome guy my Dad is, and we never forgot that :-)
      Isn't it funny how the cats are not in the least bit interested in the many many fish living in that pond? All Velvet wants there is a drink, and Keks usually just walks past.

      Delete
  5. Good to see such a lovely party to celebrate your mother's birthday. One of my granddaughter's share a birthday with her--she just turned 5...as she is happy to remind us.

    Your watermelon dish looks very refreshing. A nice combination of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The world was a different place when my mother had her 5th birthday!
      That watermelon salad really is nice and refreshing, I would have never come up with the combination myself.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful to have such a happy celebration for your mother. And I like that interesting salad which I've never seen before. The combination of flavors and textures is quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a good combination, not something I would have tried on my own accord, but we have come to love this dish.

      Delete
  7. A belated Happy Birthday to your mother. The morning run sounds lovely. Like you I enjoy my bed and don't rise especially early. On the few occasions that I do I always ask myself why I don't do so more often!
    . (But I know the answer!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I know the answer, too... and still wish I could be less lazy in that respect.

      Delete
  8. Sorry I'm so late to the party!!! Looks like you had a fun time celebrating your dear mother - nice to see this great photo of your parents. Wishing her a happy belated Birthday and best wishes always.
    Salad looked refreshing - I love pine nuts toasted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary! It is never too late for good wishes!
      Yes, pine nuts are delicious.

      Delete