Friday 11 September 2020

First Walks in September

From what I gather by reading other blogs, it seems like the first of September felt very much like a clean cut for some of us, ending hot summer weather and bringing along the first chilly autumn nights and mornings, together with that beautiful golden light you only get at that time of year.

On Tuesday, the first of September, I finished work as I early as I could, and went walking for about 2 1/2 hours. After a grey, wet morning, it was once again warm enough to go without a coat, and I really enjoyed that walk. Looking at my pictures, I think you can see why.






O.K. also went walking that evening, and sent me this sunset:

Wednesday was a busy day at work, and I was glad of the chance to go for a walk with my sister afterwards. We met these two fellows sitting on top of one of the large greenhouses on the fields between our town and the next:



On the third of September, my sister went on an early morning walk - I wish I could get into that habit, too! - and sent me this sunrise:

And just after midnight on the same day (therefore, technically, on the 4th of September), I had this view from my kitchen window:

Not many hours later, at just before 7:00 in the morning, looking again out of my kitchen window, the sky looked like this:

I'd say September was off to a good start - at least in terms of weather and walks!

11 comments:

  1. Enjoying the photos of your various September skies so far. Haven't quite made a transition over here (US) to cooler weather--at least where I live. Still warm and humid.

    Poor Denver went from 97F(36c) Monday to snow (-1c) by late afternoon Tuesday. A 60 degree drop in one day. Talk about a quick transition--skipped autumn altogether.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is a huge and quick drop! I don't think I have ever heard about one that extreme.
      It's gone warm again over here, and is forecast to remain summery at least until the middle of next week.

      Delete
  2. Goodness me that's a lot of walks. It's been pretty much the same in England too. Autumn is really here but with some lovely weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has warmed up again here, but all signs are pointing towards autumn nonetheless. I like it!

      Delete
  3. It does feel as if autumn is here. Lots of signs in our area, especially the goldenrod blooming. It was very hot here on Tuesday and then switched to cool days and cooler nights....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like the temperature in your area is as changeable as here. I will look up goldenrod - the name alone is beautiful!

      Delete
    2. ...and it is Goldrute, as I suspected! We have it blooming here as well.

      Delete
  4. I've always felt that September is the time for new ventures. I suppose it comes from having spent so many years working in education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More or less every year at the beginning of September I post about that feeling here on my blog. Some years ago I wrote that to me, it felt like a mini New Year, and that is still true - although I have never worked in education myself.

      Delete
  5. It is a wonderful time of year to be out walking when the weather is kind. Yes, your September has started well! I am looking after a friend's dog while she undergoes chemo so I am also out walking first thing in the morning and again in the evening. Without a dog it takes a lot to get me out of bed to see the sunrise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! Only in the darker months of the year do I regularly see the sunrise from my kitchen window.
      I hope your friend responds well to the chemo.

      Delete