Monday 21 June 2021

A Sunday Worth Its Name

Sunday last week (the 13th of June) was a summer's day out of a picture book: Blue sky from sunrise to sunset, temperatures not too hot at about 25 C (77 F), and a slight breeze every now and then.

It was also the first time in many months that O.K. and I met with other than just our immediate families. In the village, there are three couples more or less our age who live on the same street as us, and although we lead very different lives, we get along really well and are never short of topics to talk about, and laugh.

During the past year, we have only ever bumped into them while out for walks and stopped for brief chats, never visiting each other. Now that infection numbers have gone down considerably in this country and many restrictions have been lifted, two of them have invited the whole group (eight in all) to their allotment for breakfast on Sunday morning.

With chairs and tables all out in the open, we felt fine about meeting them (no handshakes and hugs of course). Everyone brought something; in the end, there was way too much food (as is usually the case with such events), and our "breakfast" lasted until almost 4:00 in the afternoon :-)

It was a beautiful day, and the right kind of thing to take my mind off the upcoming operation for a bit. Not that I was overly worried, but I guess you know what it's like when you have something coming up and keep going on about it in your mind.

The whole week leading up to that Sunday had been good, weather-wise, and I am including a few pictures taken during the week on after-work walks.

On the fields around Ludwigsburg on Thursday, the 10th:




Sunday, the 13th, view from our friends' allotment:


The above is maybe my favourite photo of this summer so far. To me, it epitomises summer at its best.

In a bit, I will be on my way to Stuttgart to see my own eye doctor for the first time since the operation. I wonder whether she will confirm what my impression is, that the immediate result after the operation has not remained, but that the eye has gone back a few dioptres again, which is entirely normal from what the doctor at the clinic said. We shall see (literally). No matter what, it will still be tons better than what it was before the operation.

16 comments:

  1. Totally agree with you about the Poppy Sky photo! So beautiful. A happy picture. Love all the wildflowers.

    Glad you and O.K. were able to gather with friends for the 'all day' breakfast. Clearly, you all had much to talk about after all this time apart.

    Hoping you have good news when you see your doctor. As you said, even if not fully restored (and I gather this was not the expectation), the results so far are a vast improvement, so that is good news. May your recovery continue to go well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My doctor was very pleased with the outcome and full of praise for the professor who performed the operation. She says the result is exactly what we were aiming for and what can realistically be expected under the circumstances.

      Now that the very hot weather has given way to a series of rainy days and cooler temperatures, I sleep much better at night and feel accordingly.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on meeting up with others. It sounds like a wonderful day. Good luck with the eye doc. I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanie. Yes, all is well - see my reply to Mary above :-)

      Delete
  3. How fun it must have been to get together with a group of friends! Your photo of the poppies is beautiful. It would be nice enlarged and put in a frame.

    It will be good to see your regular eye doctor. I hope all goes well and you get a very good report on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might use the poppy photo for a calendar; I usually have photo calendars printed for friends and family as Christmas presents.

      All went well with my doctor, see my reply to Mary above :-)

      Delete
  4. Good luck with the eye checkup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how the allotments are used in Germany, as they are more of an extension of the home. Many allotments here are purely for crop growing, well they were when I had one. When I stayed in Germany and walked around and saw what people have built on their allotments it's been impressive.
    All the best with your eye operation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dave!
      For most people I know who have allotments, it is indeed like an extension of home, especially if they (like my parents) do not have a garden at the house where they life. Growing one's own fruit, veg and herbs is an additional benefit but for many not the main motivation.

      Delete
  6. These are really delightful summer pictures. And I love the idea of a breakfast that goes on till 4 pm. It must have been such fun! I'm glad also that your eye result was so positively received by your own eye doctor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Jenny!
      Yes, the all-day breakfast was fun. We did not expect it to last that long, and I had secretly been hoping for a nice long walk or hike in the afternoon, but when I understood it wasn't going to happen, I went with the flow and enjoyed the day as being very different from what our Sundays usually are like. And we still managed a walk in the beautiful evening light, which was very welcome after the day spent sitting on garden chairs :-)

      Delete
  7. Oh yes, you must enlarge and frame that last photo Meike - it's gorgeous!
    Allotments were part of my childhood in England - one across the street from us sold fresh picked veggies so we always had good food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allotments were very important during and after the war to provide people with fresh vegetables; many also kept a few hens, hares and other animals. It is still wonderful to be able to have a full meal from one's own produce, as my parents used to do until a few years ago.

      Delete
  8. I never tire of pictures of poppies and skies juxtaposed like that. I'm very pleased to read in your comment above about your eye operation's success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those clear, bright summer colours; poppy red, cornflower blue, daisies white and yellow, and so much green.

      Delete