Saturday 10 September 2022

Read in 2022 - 26: Unlikely Soldiers

Unlikely Soldiers by Deb McEwan is the first of four books about young people getting into the British Army. On top of having to come to terms with the transition from teenager to adult, leaving school and finding their place in life, adapting to army life and all that entails is not easy.

The main characters are Michelle and Guy, two teenagers who grow up many miles apart but feel a special connection from the moment they first set eyes on each other. And yet, the book is not (or not just) about romance. It is also about making friends for life (and some enemies, too), growing up, seeing one's own parents in a different light, and so on - a true coming of age novel.

The author has served more than 30 years in the army and therefore knows what she is talking about. I don't think I would last more than a couple of days in that highly regulated environment, where the individual counts nothing and rank is everything. And yet, something about the regulated life appeals to me; knowing your rules and boundaries can also offer a certain comfort when everything else seems to be unsafe and uncertain.

Writing was not top notch, but well enough readable. There is much detail to remind you that the story is set in 1970s Britain - a different world from what it is now, and yet there are things I still recognise.

Not sure yet whether I shall be looking for the next three books; I did like the characters well enough but did not become particularly attached to them. (Needless to say, this was a free ebook at the Kindle shop.) 

The author's website is here.

2 comments:

  1. Do you always read free books on your Kindle, Meike? I never see any reviews of more current or popular books on your blog. Not that there's anything wrong with that! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my Kindle reading are free ebooks, but I do read more current and better known books, too. You must have missed my recent reviews of The Thursday Murder Club and its sequel, or those of Michelle Obama‘s Becoming a few years ago, and Barack Obama‘s autobiography, to name but a few.
      I travel a lot on public transport, which is when most of my Kindle reading happens.

      Delete