Monday 30 January 2023

A Week of Highlights

For me, the week from Jan. 23 to 29 held several highlights, some of which I had planned, while others came as a surprise.

Monday, Jan. 23, started nicely with a pre-work morning walk with my friend. We had not seen each other since before Christmas, when she and her family went to the US over the holiday period to be with their families there. I didn't know it then, but that was to remain the only walk worth mentioning for days.

Then followed a succession of appointments, and by the time the work day ended, I was ready for a quiet night.

After well over half a year since our last pub quiz, on Tuesday (24th of January), my team finally played the quiz again! We made it to 3rd place, and two of our team mates went home with a bottle of sparkling wine each (not me, as I prefer the brands O.K. and I usually buy). It was great fun and felt so much like "before" - although admittedly, I still find it hard to handle a very full and noisy venue, and we still miss our deceased friend Martin.

On Wednesday (Jan. 25), I worked at the office and managed a brief walk with a colleague during lunch break. Like most of the week, it was a day of humid cold without really raining; not pleasant to be outdoors but good enough as long as one kept moving.

The only bit I walked on Thursday, the 26th of January, was between my Mum's and my place. I spent my lunch break there, enjoying home-made lasagne straight from the oven. Perfect food for another cold and wet-ish day, and always good to see my Mum, of course.

Friday (Jan. 27) saw me on my usual journey to Offenburg. My trains were on time; a good start to the weekend.

Between finishing work, cleaning and washing and packing my little red suitcase, I did not want to rush around and so it was one more walk-less day.

The weather was again cold, windy and grey on Saturday, the 28th of January. We walked to the bottom of the village (O.K.'s cottage is in the upper part) for one or two things we wanted from the shops, and instead of going straight back home, we took a detour across fields, orchards and vineyards - the 2nd and last walk of the week. 

It may sound a little obsessive to some of my readers, but I really do feel that something is missing when I can not walk as often and as long as is my habit, and so I was truly glad for that hour or so.

Back at the cottage, coffee and cake were next, and then I rested for a bit while O.K. took care of some matters he had not had time for during the week, before he prepared our evening meal.

One of the surprise highlights of this week came after the meal; let me explain: Many of you are familiar with the Harry Potter books or films (or both). I love them, and you could say I am something of a fan. 

When some time last year I found out there was a "20 Years of Hogwarts" reunion of the cast and crew, with interviews taken at the original film sets and plenty of background information, I knew I had to see that. But at the time, the event was viewable only via tickets bought on Sky TV (which I do not have). O.K. wanted to give me the viewing as a Christmas present, but his research only produced illegal (and probably bad quality) stuff which neither of us wanted to have anything to do with. 

That evening, he found it available for streaming/download on Amazone Prime (which I do not have, either), and bought it for me to watch there and then - and I loved every minute of it!! I know I will want to watch it again.

My last highlight of the week was on Sunday (Jan. 29). Actually, two: For the first time that week, the sun broke through properly around lunch time. The rest of the afternoon was of clear blue skies, just right for the Winter BBQ in the woods we were invited to.


This BBQ is a special event on behalf of one of the nearby communities. They, like all the other communities in the area, hold auctions for wood in their communal woods every year. This usually happens on a Saturday in January or February. People come and bid for lots in the woods where responsibility of cutting the trees falls on the winning bidder, while others bid for trees that have already been cut by the community. Usually, a fire is lit, sausages and bacon are grilled, and drinks can be bought - all very basic and rustic. 


The bar is open! Drinks are self-service, grilled food is not.
The following day, the man who organises those auctions invites a bunch of friends and acquaintances to help finish off the remaining food and drink. A list is kept of how much everyone has to eat and drink, and folks end up paying very little money for freshly grilled meat and sausages as well as beer, water, lemonade etc. Most people will add something to the event, such as bring a home-made cake for dessert, bottles of sparkling wine or Schnaps, and so on.

We all gather round the fire, have our food and drinks, catch up with those we have not seen in a long time, and chat to our friends. 


At a quarter to 5:00 pm, the sun gets ready to leave.

Click on the picture to enlarge it; if you look carefully more or less towards the middle, you may just about make out the moon.

Large tree trunk I came across while looking for a place to answer nature's call.
Dusk falls, and by the time it gets properly dark (which was at around 6:00 pm on Saturday), the fire is the only light. An old Christmas tree was put on the fire, making the flames shoot up high, and the scent was wonderful, too. The star-studded sky was not black yet, but of a deep velvety blue - it was magic.

The Christmas tree made for an impressive bonfire!

A few minutes before 6:00 pm; down where we were, it was much darker.
But after almost 5 hours outdoors (without moving much!), even wrapped up in several layers of warm clothes, the cold gets through, and after we helped clearing up, we drove home and were happy to spend the rest of the evening inside the warm, cosy cottage.

24 comments:

  1. Well, even with fewer walks, you were able to pack in some fun times this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, Meike, it's good, as always, to read the diary of your week. How interesting it has been and what lovely pictures you have painted and what fascinating mental picture snippets you have included.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting, Graham. I am glad my snippets were not all too mundane or pedestrian, but managed to convey a bit of what the week was like.

      Delete
  3. It all sounds so very enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Pat. I missed a good, long walk, but it was still a good week.

      Delete
  4. For anonymous above read Weaver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was anonymous and had to sign in (although I was signed in!) with my account even for replying to comments on my own blog...

      Delete
  5. Mundane ? Pedestrian ?
    That's like calling the Black Forest a spinney or Germany a backwater.
    Christmas tree on fire could be pictured beside a Christmas tree with faery lights.
    Discarded trees are gathered in the park across the road from my apartment.
    Damp air brings out the memory of Christmas, very soul of childhood. Sweet smell.
    I like the open air bar. Help yourself. Nice decor. Friendly people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cold enough for the open air bar to work well - the beer and other drinks were so chilled most people kept their gloves on for holding their bottles. A pot of Glühwein would have been "sold out" within minutes, but we didn't have that.

      Delete
  6. Clearly, walking, spending time in nature and with family and friends brings a quiet joy to your life. Nothing mundane about that. Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does indeed bring joy to my life, Mary. Walking and being on my own is just as necessary for my physical and mental wellbeing than spending time with family and friends.

      Delete
  7. Looks good. Cold here - sore chapped lips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cold here, too, but no chapped lips as I keep applying lip balm.

      Delete
  8. I didn't know you were a Pothead! :) Haha. I liked the HP books, too, but I wish I could have read them as a child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Jennifer! They weren't around yet when we were kids, but I loved the Narnia books which were something of a background tune to much of my childhood, influencing my games and ideas.

      Delete
    2. I loved the Narnia books too!

      Delete
  9. You know I'm a Harry Potter fan, too :) I've listened to the books read by Stephen Fry more times than I've kept count of + I have the books in print, too, and the films on DVD. That reunion documentary does not seem to be available here either, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know you have the books in all their forms, and the DVDs. In addition, I have all the computer games (some of which are really well done and come with great music, and at least the first few have Stephen Fry‘s wonderful voice).
      If I can find a link to the reunion, I will send it to you.

      Delete
    2. Meike, I found it now for rent at one streaming service I have on trial temporarily. I've never tried renting a film before though so Ill have to explore how that works. But no need for you to look for links for me - what works for you may not work for me in Sweden anyway!

      Delete
    3. Managed to rent it Saturday evening to watch on my laptop (lying on my bed). Didn't get it to show up on my TV and it didn't dawn on me until later why not - I was logged in on another account on the TV, having two logins to that streaming service at the moment because I have a temporary free trial of extended services courtesy of another company, but also a limited account running since before... Well, I got to see the Hogwarts reunion documentary anyway, and enjoyed it! :)

      Delete
    4. Good to know you had the chance to watch it, and enjoyed it! Believe it or not, I watched it again yesterday, as the first time round I wasn't on my own and could not fully focus.

      Delete
  10. That dark blue velvety sky is the image that will stay with me. I can only imagine how beautiful that must be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very beautiful, but also very cold. We're in for more such nights this week, as there are supposed to be three or four sunny days in a row from tomorrow onwards - and clear skies always mean COLD nights, with temperatures well below freezing.

      Delete