Friday 16 June 2023

First Full Week of June

And a full week it was indeed!

As usual after a weekend at O.K.'s, Monday (the 5th of June) we had a very early start so that I could be at the train station in time for the journey home. I arrived in Ludwigsburg on time (yay!).

Mid-afternoon, my old washing machine was picked up. When I took the instruction manual out to throw it away, I found the service card with the handwritten date and signature of the technician who originally installed it at my grandma's: May 7, 1992. I inherited the machine when my grandma died in 2001. Of course I am fully aware that the new one won't last 31 years. Seeing that handwritten date brought on a small bout of nostalgia. I was 24 years old then, and both my life and the world were very different places to be in.

Later, I walked to Fatma's new place (my friendly upstairs neighbours moved to a bigger flat last month) to deliver some mail that had arrived for them. It was good to see her and her daughter (husband was still at work), and although their new flat is near a very busy road, it is about twice the size of the attic flat in my house, and everything is new and modern. I am really pleased for them.

I ended the evening by looking after my friends' cats. We were not yet on speaking terms, but they were certainly curious and followed me round, and I was allowed to stroke them and even brush them a little (their long hair needs daily brushing).

Tuesday, June 6, was sunny and pleasantly warm at 24C (75.2F). I worked at the office and went for a lunchtime walk with a colleague. In the evening, I popped in at my Mum's and went from there to fulfill my cat-sitting duty (or rather, pleasure). It is so good when you have nearly everything within walking distance.

I was again at the office on Wednesday (June 7). Another sunny day, another lunchtime walk, another evening of looking after those two lovely boys (my friends' cats). Our relationship progressed every day, and there were attempts at conversation now, as well as brushing sessions becoming longer, with tummies being offered, too. 

A good day altogether, but I had a headache and was very tired in the evening. Self-testing for Covid brought a negative result - not that I had really expected a return of the infection so soon after my first bout, but I wanted to be cautious.


Thursday, the 8th of June, was a day off (Corpus Christi). Because of me not having Friday off and some other things that needed doing, O.K. and I spent the day separately.

The morning began sunny, but while my sister and I were at my Mum's for coffee in the afternoon, a thunderstorm started. For the first time since May 15, we had some rain! It was nowhere near enough to make up for the past three dry weeks, but it freshened things up a bit. By the time I went to look after Totoro and Haku, the sun was back out, and when I left them, I did not go home immediately but added a walk before calling it a day.

A series of calls made Friday (June 9) morning unusually busy; most Fridays are rather quiet in terms of work, and allow me to go about my tasks largely undisturbed. They are often the most productive day of the week.

O.K. had the day off and arrived at my place late afternoon. We went to buy a few things for tomorrow's BBQ, and only after I had also checked in on the cats, we went to town for something to eat. Normally, I enjoy the fish & chips at "my" Irish pub, but they were not as crispy as I like it, and I was left a tad disappointed. Still, it was a beautiful evening in the relaxed atmosphere of the market square.

Ludwigsburg Market Square, as seen from our table in front of the pub

Statue of a cat on the roof of an old townhouse in my neighbourhood
My sister was hosting a BBQ at her allotment on Saturday, the 10th of June. O.K. and I went early enough to help with setting everything up, and by the time the others arrived - my Mum, her friend who lives in the same house and another friend of my sister's -, O.K. had the grill going and we were starting on drinks and the sumptuous spread (it was a combination of bring-in and things provided by my sister).

The day was perfect for it - not too hot in the shade of the large trees on the allotment, no wasps bothering us, and plenty of everything for everyone. It was a nice afternoon and evening, the first time we had a gathering like this at my sister's allotment.

My friends whose cats I had been looking after had returned home that afternoon, so I only needed to drop off the key with them. O.K. and I concluded the evening with an Apérol Spritz at home.

Sunday (June 11) saw us back at lake Monrepos, where O.K. rowed me across the lake once again after we had quenched our thirst with Apfelschorle (apple juice and sparkling water) - no shandy this time, since O.K. had to drive home that evening.

Walking to the lake through the deer park, we spotted some deer seeking the shade - not so long ago, they would have been basking in the spring sun.

We had green asparagus for dinner, and shortly after 8:00 pm, O.K. left. It was really pleasant temperature-wise at that time, and so I set off for another walk to catch the beautiful evening light and birdsong on the fields.


8 comments:

  1. Should I point out that you switched from June to May in your posts?! Time flies by so quickly it is easy to get the months confused! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellem - error amended :-)
      Time does indeed fly. On the 10th of June (not May!), it was 35 years since my last day and final exams at Librarian School.

      Delete
  2. How beautiful that building is by the water!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It‘s one of the three palaces we have in Ludwigsburg. Never inhabited, it was built for the sole purpose of hosting balls and parties. The lake was man-made, too, and the entire estate was called Monrepos (mon repos = French for my rest) by the then duke of Wuerttemberg.

      Delete
  3. Ludwigsburg : A town with three palaces. Only in Germany !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their story is very interesting, but too long to go into right now. I am sure you'll find plenty about them on Youtube. Look for "Ludwigsburg Residenzschloss", "Ludwigsburg Schloss Monrepos" and "Ludwigsburg Schloss Favorite".

      Delete
  4. The last cat photo reminds me so much of a cat I had long ago. His name was Ethan, and he was a great big teddy bear of a cat, and I loved him a lot. Of course, it was when I had Ethan (and another cat, Mia) that I developed such terrible allergies to them! I wonder, now that I've had allergy shots for almost nine months, if I can once again tolerate being around cats. Not that my two dogs would (tolerate them). But I do love cats!

    You have so many beautiful places to walk and explore. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two are great big teddy bears, too! They are brothers from the same litter, and the slightly bigger one weighs 9 kg without being fat. In comparison, my last cat weighed 4 kg, and the biggest one we had when I was a kid was impressive enough at 6 kg :-)

      Delete