Monday 20 November 2023

Rainy Week

It rained every day last week, sometimes more, sometimes less. Glimpses of sunshine were rare and it was chilly, but Sunday was very mild and sunny after a mid-morning shower.

On Monday (13 November), I had no opportunity for a walk other than the five minutes it takes me to go to Aldi's. All afternoon I spent in an online meeting, finishing only at six; it was of course dark by that time.

In between, a phonecall from my favourite neighbour (the one whose garden I see from my kitchen window) came in. We'd not seen each other in a while, and sometimes she rings for a little chat. This time, though, she called to let me know that she has now moved into a care home. She is 91 years old and had been living on her own for decades, managing quite well. Recently, she'd had several falls - none of them too bad, no bones broken -, and her relatives had discussed things with her and she decided to move there.
She is still quite mobile and won't be sitting in her room or in any of the common rooms all day, but it is good to know she's not alone now if anything happens. I will visit her soon, probably this coming Friday.
It is weird now to look out of my kitchen window at her house, knowing it stands empty - one of three in my immediate neighbourhood.

Nothing worth mentioning happened on Tuesday (14 November); I worked at the office in Weilimdorf and, for a change, all went well with my trains.

I was at the office in Weilimdorf again on Wednesday (15 November)
The first anniversary of our dear friend R's death kept me in a subdued mood all day. I had not been out for a proper walk since Sunday, and when the sun made one of its rare appearances around lunch time, I decided to leave work early, walk home from Kornwestheim and continue working from there. It did me good.
One year ago, when my sister texted me to tell me of R's death, I had been at the office, too. I left in the early afternoon then, too, walking across the fields and crying for good part of the way. It felt strange to think that a year has passed already.

My neighbour's house (left) now stands empty.

On Thursday, 16 November, I was expected in Marbach to give a training and attend a meeting. Train drivers were on strike, meaning no local trains were running. There is a regular bus service to Marbach, so I thought it wasn't going to be a problem to get there and back. However, the scheduled bus never arrived, and the next one was an hour later - much too late for my appointments. I rang Marbach and explained the situation.
The very capable secretary said "Hold on a minute - I have an idea!" and returned a moment later, telling me she was going to send their driver to pick me up! I have never before had such luxury when travelling to my clients, and enjoyed the ride as well as the chatty driver. It was similar on my way back, only with a different (but equally chatty) driver. Up until that day, I had not even known that my client has a fleet of cars and a few drivers at their disposition.

Friday (17 November) was a busy day, working from home and having my new fridge delivered and installed. I was very happy with the way the two men worked their way through everything efficiently, and gave them a generous tip. Of course there was still some cleaning and sorting left for me to do, but now I have a brand new fridge, the second since I moved into this flat 20 years ago.

O.K. arrived at about 9:15 pm.

On Saturday, 18 November, after breakfast we took O.K.'s stereo to a nearby radio shop for repair and then drove to Pforzheim (about an hour's drive) straight from there. The drive was through some beautiful countryside with autumn colours everywhere; had it not been another grey day, it would have been truly spectacular.
In Pforzheim we visited a "Martin's Market" hosted at a school. A friend of O.K.'s is a very talented and creative craftswoman, and since she was selling her things there (she lives nearby), she had invited us to come and have a look. We found nice things for Christmas, had a good look around the entire place, something to eat at lunch time followed by coffee and cake later, listened to a choir and had a chat with our friend before driving home.

Back in Ludwigsburg, we walked to my Mum's place, where we were gathering for a meal of roast goose with all the trimmings, a tradition this time of year around St. Martin's Day. We're not Catholic and do not actually "do" St. Martin's, but we have always made it an occasion for a family gathering around that time. 

We woke up to sunshine on Sunday (19 November) and went for a walk in the palace grounds after breakfast. My pictures can only partly convey how beautiful the autumn leaves were in the sunshine, and how luminous the colours. The day was windy but very mild for November at 15C/59F.









At 3:00 pm, we met with my sister at a newly re-opened café in town to test what it had on offer. I enjoyed my slice of pumpkin cake and coffee.
From there, the three of us walked together until my sister went home and O.K. and I continued for a short loop on the fields to take in the sunset.
Back at my flat, I made shakshouka for our evening meal, and we shared my last bottle of white wine which I still had from summer. 
For a change, O.K. did not have to drive home that evening (hence the wine) - he has today off. It was nice not having to say good-bye and then wait more or less anxiously for him to let me know he'd arrived home safely after the 150 km drive.

(For my family, another day to remember a loved one: 34 years ago, my granddad  - Mum's Dad - died.)

22 comments:

  1. An interesting round up of the week. I particularly enjoyed reading that you had a goose and family meal. We used to have a wild goose at around about the same time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone who gets to taste it particularly enjoys the stuffing my Mum makes for the goose: chestnuts, apples, raisins, onions (I think), herbs and spices. Sometimes we say it would be enough if she just put a bowl full of stuffing and sauce in front of us - and we're only half kidding.

      Delete
    2. That is correct.
      I take 2 big onions, 2 apples, 400 g chestnuts (you can buy it here already peeled and cooked), 2 bunches of persil, some oregano and thyme. Shred all, then fry it in a pan with butter, add some water or wine, and let it boil until all is soft . At the end add also fat and juice of the goose. Spice up with salt and pepper and a bit of musk.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Mum! To clarify: for persil read parsley, for musk read nutmeg.

      Delete
    4. Sorry! Thank you!

      Delete
    5. Thank YOU, Mum, for revealing the recipe for the best stuffing EVER!

      Delete
  2. The weather has been miserable here, too. Public transport seems to be in such a sorry state here, too, that it does not surprise me that businesses are using private drivers. One could quickly get used to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What little breaks between one rainfall to the next we had, and even fewer sunny hours, were precious and I tried to make use of them when possible.
      The private drivers are a better system, I think, than to equip many employees with company cars. The latter require a lot more money, also in terms of insurance.

      Delete
  3. Thinking of you in this season of loss. It's hard to believe it's been a year already since R died. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer. I know you're not exactly going through a period of bliss yourself right now, and hope Gregg is better and that you haven't caught the Noro or whatever virus it was.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you had sunshine on the 19th so you could get out and see those lovely fall colors and beautiful blue sky. The 19th is my Dad's birthday and he would have been 99 this year.
    I don't think I have ever had goose! This week we will celebrate Thanksgiving at my home and my sister will bring the turkey while I make the trimmings! Have a nice week, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your Thanksgiving celebration, Ellen! I always love the descriptions of such gatherings in books and films (unless they are meant to be "funny" with all sorts of things going wrong) and would very much like to take part in one.

      Delete
  5. The stuffing has always been my favorite part of Thanksgiving dinner - your mom's goose stuffing sounds wonderful. Does she cook it in the actual goose or in a separate pan, I wonder? Envy you the rain - we are having a terrible drought here in Virginia, I think it rained once in October and just a couple sprinkles so far in November.

    Thanks for sharing your week.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting, Ceci.
      I don't really know how my Mum makes the stuffing, but it was not inside the goose this time, since she bought parts and not an entire bird - nobody of the five of us who were present knows how to cut it properly.
      Maybe she will reveal her secret recipe in a comment :-)

      Not in my area, but in many parts of Germany the copious rains have resulted in flooding.

      Delete
  6. Love the sunny photos from the palace grounds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a beautiful day, doubly welcome after an almost exclusively grey week.

      Delete
  7. Our autumn looks very similar. Now I feel guilty for not tipping the guy who installed our dishwasher. Am I supposed to do that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually tip delivery people unless I am really unhappy with their work (which has not happened this time). As I am not familiar with what is the usual thing to do in your part of the world, I don't know whether you are supposed to do that :-)

      Delete
  8. Oh a sad anniversary indeed, but somehow good that you remembered both R and your granddad so they will stay alive in your mind. I loved your pictures of the palace. We have had a few days like that in London too and they are really worth enjoying. I believe that the leaves are staying later on the trees this November than they usually do and there have been some great displays. Your visit to Martin's Market sounds delightful. I haven't been to something like that for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the short period from mid-October to mid-November we have four loved ones to remember now: First my Dad (Oct. 12), then my husband (Nov. 5), friend R (Nov. 15) and Granddad (Nov. 19). Because the range is from 34 to 14 to 1 year ago, grief for these four good men is not equally sharp, but still there.
      The leaves are late to fall this year, in spite of the strong winds we've had. Now colder temperatures are setting in here, and I guess it won't be very long before the first snowfall of this winter.
      The Martin's Market was fun, but now I am looking forward to the opening of our Christmas Market, which is tomorrow!!

      Delete
  9. How have you been?
    The sunshine on your neighbours' houses is calm and poetic.
    I stopped on that photo and remembered those busy days I had passed. I had an idea to find a new coffee house. I would like to read again "Fiesta". Happy Sunday to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello roughterrain crane, how have YOU been? As you can see from my post, I have been busy (as usual) and well (as usual) :-)
      Did you find a new coffee house? I am not familiar with "Fiesta".
      You too have a happy Sunday!

      Delete