Saturday 16 March 2024

Read in 2024 - 5: Mrs England

Mrs. England

by Stacey Halls


What attracted me instantly when I spotted this paperback at The Little Ripon Bookshop last summer was of course the beautiful cover design. Looking at the blurb on the back, I thought it was going to be a good read.

And now that I have finished it, I can say it was not just a good, but a great read!

From start to finish, I found it to be the kind of story that takes you right in. You know, when you are so "in" a book that you think about the characters in the story while you're not reading, and can't wait for the evening to arrive when you can finally retreat to your bed, prop yourself up with pillows in your back, turn on the lamp on your bedside table and open the book? It was exactly like that for me with this one.

Set in 1904, the story follows a young nurse who has left her position with a wealthy family in London and moves to Yorkshire where she looks after the children of mill owners Charles and Lilian England.

It's not just the change of scenery, local dialect and use of words (such as "dinner" for the midday meal the nurse always knew as "lunch", and "tea" not necessarily meaning a hot drink but the meal called "dinner" in other regions) the newcomer has to adjust to - it's the entire household.

At first, it just seems a bit odd how little involved with her children Mrs. England is; everything Nurse May needs to ask, all decisions her employers make regarding the children, their education, diet and schedule, are to be discussed with Mr. England instead.

Sounding like the perfect family when they were first described to her, Ruby soon finds out that things are not what they seem - but what ARE they, then?

Strange incidents occur (nothing paranormal or supernatural), and slowly but surely the situation escalates to a point of no return.

I am not going to tell you any more - just that I found everything about this book to like and nothing not to like. Language, style, excellent research that makes you feel you know what day-to-day life in a wealthy household (and also in a less well-off one) was 120 years ago. Characters you can relate to, and others you can't work out any better than the young nurse can.

There are points in the story where you may think you know where it is leading, but for me, where it actually did lead to was not what I was expecting.

Read it, if you get a chance! The author's website is here; Mrs England is her third book.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks, Meike, I was looking for some book recommendations as I finish up the pile I have. I have placed a hold on this and one other by Stacey Halls at my library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to know my review came just in time, Ellen!

      Delete
  2. This sounds like an amazing find! It's always thrilling when a book draws you in so completely. The setting and characters seem intriguing, and the twists and turns in the story make it even more compelling. Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

    Read my new blog post: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2024/03/the-leading-industries-causing-health-damage-to-young-people.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like it would make a good film (although I usually prefer the original book). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like something I would enjoy! I'll look for it. Thank you for the review!

    ps...I just got a card in the mail for you, so I'm afraid it's going to be very late. I'll be thinking of you this week--it's "our" special week, after all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great read - mysterious, but not a crime novel; there is love but it isn‘t a love story; the setting is historical but it is not first and foremost a historic novel.

      After my Christmas card took two months or more to get to you, I have not prepared a card to post to you next week. Instead, I have prepared a little surprise to you that will reach you by email on the day 😊

      Delete
  5. This book sounds like I would like it, and the cover is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a look at the author's website - her first two books (this one is her third) have beautiful covers, too. I may look for one of them but I definitely not the first one - having recently done a bit of research about the witch trials that are the base for the first book, I don't think I want to muster the mental energy to read the novel.

      Delete
  6. I have a true fondness for book covers. From all my years of reading books I can tell you that there are some people who don't even notice them. Can you imagine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be misleading, though - some hilarious old novels written by Hungarian author Gabor von Vaszary were reprinted in the 1970s or 80s with cover photos of softly lit couples embracing. They looked like steamy romances when they were anything but! I hope not too many readers who bought the reprints based on the new covers were disappointed ;-D

      Delete
  7. I love a good book. The one I am reading now was a slow start, but now I'm hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was a good find at my favourite book shop. I'll be back for more in the summer!

      Delete