Tuesday 23 April 2024

A Typical April Week

Germany is not the only country where April is seen as a month of extremely varied weather - sometimes having everything from snow to sunshine to hail to thunder and back to sunshine within a couple of hours. We have a rhyme "April, April, der macht was er will", meaning April does as April wants. Last week was a typical example of that.


After the summerly weekend with highs of 25C/77F, Monday (15 April) was much cooler at 12C/53F. It was also very windy, if not to say stormy, making for rapidly changing light and a quick succession of showers and sun. After a quiet day working from home, I went for only about an hour's walk to the Old Cemetery and back; it was just a little too windy to make being outside a pleasure.

I passed through this part of town often on my way to the hospital in autum 2022.

Tuesday (16 April) was more or less the same in terms of weather and temperature, but I was lucky: After my quarterly eye examination in Stuttgart, the sun was out and the wind not too strong, allowing me to walk the first part of my trip home, getting on the local train at the third instead of the first station from the surgery. 

Like most big cities, Stuttgart has several parks and other green spaces. Starting from the Schlossgarten (palace grounds) in the middle of the city, one can walk through parkland for miles without having to battle the constant flow of cars; foot bridges (also used by cyclists) cross the big roads that cut through the parks at some spots.

In my teens, I often had a special ticket for our local trains available to students during school holidays. Sometimes I would use that ticket to take a train into Stuttgart and then walk through the park(s) until getting on a train back home at another station. 

I'd not done this particular walk in many, many years, and with it being such a beautiful day and no pressing obligations for the rest of the afternoon, I decided to walk.

The map - courtesy of Google maps - shows two red circles added by me. The one in the bottom left corner shows the train station where I usually get on and off for appointments with my eye doctor. The one at the top shows the station where I boarded a train back to Ludwigsburg, after having walked for about 1 1/2 hours through the parks you can see on the map, starting with Schlossgarten.


Here are the pictures I took along the way:













Wednesday (17 April) was spent at the office. At 4C/39F, it was cold enough in the morning to wear my padded winter coat and a warm scarf again. Once more, there was a mix of wind, rain and sun, with the odd clattering of hail against the window. But it remained dry almost until the end of my walk home from Kornwestheim.

A second day was spent at the office this week on Thursday (18 April), and the evening at my Mum's where the three of us enjoyed another delicious meal cooked by our Mum. In line with the wintry weather, she made a classic: mashed spuds, Sauerkraut and "Schäufele" (a dish of meat popular in my and O.K.'s regions).

It rained most of the day on Friday (19 April), and at 3C/37F, time to put the heating back on except for when I did my cleaning round in the afternoon. O.K. arrived shortly after 9:00 pm.

Saturday (20 April) was going to be a mix of rain and very little sun, according to the forecast. We still ventured into town after a leisurely breakfast, visiting some shops in view of O.K.'s upcoming birthday, and did not need our hoods or an umbrella (which would have been useless with the strong wind anyway).

I'd ordered food at the Indian restaurant in our neighbourhood, and at 6:30 pm O.K. and I went to pick it up and take it to my Mum's where the four of us (my sister was there, too) tucked into our delicious spicy food.

After I'd been struggling with a headache (coming from my neck/shoulder area) for most of the day, shortly after the meal I really couldn't keep going, and we went home unusually early. At 9:15 pm, I was in bed, knowing that only sleep would really make a difference.

And so it was; waking up on Sunday (21 April), I was right as rain again. 2C/35F was cold, but we just wrapped up well and went for a good long walk on the fields in the afternoon. 

Snow, maybe icy rain and slippery roads were threatening, and therefore O.K. drove home about 1 1/2 hours earlier than usual on a Sunday night. 

We ate early; I made green asparagus tarte on a base of puff pastry. The pastry was bought ready, everything else was by me after a recipe I'd taken out from a magazine many years ago and had always wanted to try. It turned out really nice, I think - a dry white wine would have been perfect with it, but of course O.K. had to drive and so we stuck to water.

My week ended with an early retreat to bed with my current read - the fourth installment of Richard Osman's Thursday Murder Club series (brilliant!).

12 comments:

  1. Yep, your April weather sounds much like ours (except we never reached those heights that you did in the earlier part of the month)... The possibility to walk long distances through parkland in Stuttgart sounds good, and reminds a bit of what they're aiming at here too (although on a smaller scale, as ours a smaller city) - making it possible to walk / cycle along the river from one end of town to the other, with footbridges crossing major roads. (None of those bridges yet existing, though. But they are working on improving park areas and paths here and there to be gradually joined together. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The parkland in Stuttgart is old and was originally much larger; it has been encroached from all sides with the ever-growing city. But thankfully, at some point it was determined to keep that slice of green and not build over it - it is so important!

      Delete
  2. That tart looks delicious. I keep meaning to try a Richard Osman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine you'd enjoy The Thursday Murder Club, but I recommend reading them in order.

      Delete
  3. The walk through the linked parks of Stuttgart looks as magnificent as the weather you enjoyed that day. On very cold days you should consider wearing a woollen balaclava - perhaps with a bobble on top to make a fashion statement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a woolly hat, hand-knitted by my Mum, with a bobble on top, and I wear it all through winter. For its colours (orange hat, electric blue bobble) I often get compliments, so I guess you could call it a fashion statement.
      There is so much to explore in that long stretch of linked parks. I only took very brief and very few detours, since I wanted to get home.

      Delete
  4. Wow, your walk through Stuttgart looks so beautiful!! Did you see that they are making a film of The Thursday Night Murder Club? They are! It will star Helen Mirren, Pierce Brosnan and oh, one other big star, I can't think of at this moment. I'm so glad I sent that very first book to my father in law in England when it first came out.He loved it and when it started to be a big success, he was so pleased with me in guessing that it would be so. He knew I was a non fiction gal and rarely pay attention to fiction. Oh, and today, April 24th would have been my Dad's birthday. How lucky are we to both have had such wonderful fathers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't, Kay! But from the first moment I started reading the first Thursday Murder Club book, I had Helen Mirren in mind for Elizabeth. I wonder whether Richard Osman was thinking of her when he created that character.
      You are right, we are both very lucky to have had such great Dads.

      Delete
  5. It's been chillier here too, Meike. I'll be happy when it warms up a bit more.
    I love the photos from your long walk - what a lovely day! I've enjoyed those Thursday Night Murder Club books, also. And will watch for the movie that Kay mentions is being made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Ellen! It is a "must see" for me, now that I know of it.
      It is supposed to warm up by tomorrow here. The frosty nights have caused damage in vineyards and orchards here; everything was in full bloom, and we can only hope it wasn't too bad.

      Delete
  6. Sir Ben Kingsley! That is actor's name I couldn't remember. Insert rueful smile 😃.

    ReplyDelete