Ripon Walled Garden is a community project to help people with learning difficulties, largely run by volunteers and depending on donations as well on what they make from selling their own produce, at the very nice gift shop and the café. Click here for their website.
The day was a mix of sun and fast moving clouds at a pleasant 22C. We arrived at the garden at lunch time, which had been our intention. The meal at the café was really nice; we enjoyed our food and the friendly service. After a look round the gift shop we ventured out into the garden.
A lot is on offer there for children, but adults can enjoy the garden and the path winding its way through the surrounding woodland, too. There is information about plants and animals, what to look out for during the year, and interactive areas where young (and less young) visitors can playfully learn about nature or participate in projects.
Back at the cottage, as usual we had a rest followed by coffee/tea on the bench in front of the house. Afterwards, we went to see Mary and say good-bye to her for another year before we were going to leave on Friday morning.
We didn't walk back the direct way but took a detour along the river.
| View of the Cathedral from near the Water Rat, a popular pub/restaurant by the Skell |
The rest of the afternoon and early evening was spent relaxing at the cottage, and after our meal of boiled Jersey spuds with warm goats cheese and a salad, I walked the few minutes to the market square well in time for the Hornblower ceremony.
If you have been reading my blog for a while, you know everything about it; if you haven't, you can learn more in my first post about it in 2012 here and several more after that - simply type "Hornblower" in the search box at the top left corner of my blog.
Unlike our late friend George Pickles, who was the sole Hornblower for 12 years with a deputy stepping in only when he was on holiday, this duty is now shared by four people. I was of course hoping that it'd be either Alison or Wayne that evening, but it was a man I didn't know. He did alright but wasn't as charming and witty as George had been (but then who would be!) or in any other way remarkable. Still, I make it a point to witness the ceremony at least once during my annual stay in Ripon, and I am glad I went.
The walled garden reminds me of the one at Helmsley under the old castle with a very similar setup. There is a cafe within the small garden centre/shop which has a treasure trove of plants grown from the garden. You enjoy your Yorkshire holidays very much.
ReplyDeleteHello Thelma, we've been to the Walled Garden at Helmsley last year; you can see my pictures from that visit here, if you like:
Deletehttps://librarianwithsecrets.blogspot.com/2025/08/ripon-2025-day-5.html
It is a wonderful place, much larger than the one at Ripon (which is also beautiful).
You are having an amazing relaxing holiday and are so lucky with the weather too.
ReplyDeleteWe did, Addy. First day back at work today; we returned Friday night.
DeleteIt is a lovely tradition and very special, having been observed for so many centuries.
ReplyDeleteThe walled garden is beautiful and looks very well organised.
It was all very well done there at the Walled Garden.
DeleteI like the Hornblower Tradition, also because I was introduced to it by an aunt and uncle I am very fond of.
The hornblower tradition is a nice way to cap off another lovely holiday for you.
ReplyDeleteIt certainly is, Ellen. I could have gone any evening but waited until my next-to-last one - the weather was fine throughout.
DeleteDoes the walled garden predate the charity project that runs it now? Those walls look old!
ReplyDeleteGlad you got to see another hornblower in action! (Perhaps this was "Richard M" from the post where you introduced Allison?)
Yes, it does. The bishop of Ripon used to live in the Bishop's Palace, and the walled garden was created as his kitchen garden around 1840. The house is still there but was turned into a school back in the 1950s. Already in the 1940s, the estate had become part of Dr. Barnardo's.
DeleteHmm... the man did not look or sound at all familiar to me, but it could of course be that I have simply forgotten.
How could any of us forget George Pickles? You know that the walled garden and the cafe would be ideal for me! For one thing, it reminds me of "The Secret Garden", one of my favorite books of all time, even as an adult. I need to re -read it again, it is truly lovely.
ReplyDeleteYou know I love "The Secret Garden", too! In my reply to Thelma's comment, I have linked to my 2025 post about Helmsley Walled Garden, with a photo of the "Secret Garden" there :-)
DeleteI remember you writing about the Hornblower before - and I also probably told you before, that on one of our family holidays back in the 1970s, we saw and heard the Ripon Hornblower of those days.
ReplyDeleteYes, I remember you telling me about this memory before.
DeleteAfter saying farewell to Mary you took a walk by the river. A lovely detour.
ReplyDeleteSo the Walled Garden was part of the Bishop' Palace ? His potato patch so to speak.
The riverside walk is verdant. I'd have enjoyed a drink in The Water Rat with Mr Pickles.
I'm pleased you took me back to 2012.
Ripon's Hornblower. The Wakeman. The setting of the Watch.
If the tradition's as old as 886, we're in real historic time.
History's not a myth as one of Neil's commenters said in speaking of Christianity.
Alfred's the only real British king who had the honour of being called Great.
I was reminded of the Shofar, the ram's horn.
It calls for repentance on Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashannah. History, not myth.
In 2012 there were only you & a few others at the Market Cross to hear George
the Hornblower on that cold night. That's the part I'll remember.
Rosh Hashanah is Jerusalem's New Year.
DeleteThe first of the High Holy Days from Leviticus.
The biblical name for the holiday is Yom Teruah.
In the Ancient World history was cyclical. A kind of endless repeating wheel.
Jews had a linear idea of time that was revolutionary. We inherited that idea.
Judeo-Christianity is rooted in time & history & real places.
With me in 2012 were my sister as well as Aunt Jean and Uncle Brian.
DeleteThey were my late husband's aunt and uncle, of course, not mine - but they felt like mine. Jean, now in her 80s, is still going strong but Brian sadly died a couple of years ago after a long period of dementia at a care home. Jean visited every day and made him have lunch. He stopped speaking completely eventually. Before, he had been a very eloquent man; a teacher originally, who later became headmaster of a school if I remember correctly. A gentle man in the true sense of the word, with a great sense of humour.
You knew and know so many fine people, Meike.
Delete