Our booklet suggested a tour linking two such settlements, and so on Friday, the 4th of September, we took three different buses to arrive at the village of Schröcken to start the tour.
| Seat of the local administration in the village of Schröcken |
| Village church in Schröcken |
| I liked the zig-zag roof. |
| ...and then up with a view of the village far below. |
This time, it wasn't a round tour but ended in Warth, another village where we took the first of three buses back to Bizau.
I don't know how many km we walked, but - with a few short breaks - we went up and down many a hill and some steep paths for about 4 hours. It was beautiful and varied, if rather exhausting.
Many times we walked among cows with no fence between them and us, but similar to Schönenbach, the animals were relaxed in the presence of humans, and so was I mostly (but I do admit that I always felt better once we had put some distance between us and them, and preferably a closed gate).
We even came across what was voted in 2017 the "most beautiful place in Austria" - the Körbersee, a small lake that can only be reached on foot. We found it pretty enough but with so many beautiful places and fabulous views all around, we would have been hard pressed to decide on just one as the most beautiful.
Not far after this one, another, larger lake came up, the Kalbelesee. Once again, there were many cows around, but there was also an Alpe where the family had not yet shut shop for the winter. It was a welcome chance to sit down and have a refreshing shandy before walking on.
| Warth village, where our tour ended |
By 6:00 pm, we were back at the hotel. We showered and changed and went downstairs for another delicious dinner, after which of course we went out for a short evening stroll before calling it a day.
If you want to find out more about this particular region, their official website (in English) is here.
So much beauty in every direction, Meike, even the skies are perfect.
ReplyDeleteIt's almost too beautiful to be true, isn't it, but I didn't edit the photos - the sky and the mountains and everything really was like this.
DeleteI recall the Walser villages from my philosophy studies, free, independent thinkers, notably Rousseau and the Enlightenment. Your photographs show the landscape and the feeling of the area. I like to stay in a hotel where I can also have my meal in the restaurant at the hotel.
ReplyDeleteI am so pleased to read that you know about the Walser villages, Rachel - I expect not many do!
DeleteYes, it's so convenient when you return from a day's hike and all you want is a shower and fresh clothes and sit down for a good meal without having to think about where to go, and possibly travel miles by car to get anywhere good.