Saturday 30 August 2014

A Sunday in August

You've seen this particular walk several times before on my blog, for instance here in June 2013, here in 2012, or here in July of this year. So, if you've had quite enough of joining me for the same old walk over and over again, simply skip this post and wait for something else to come up on my blog (probably a book review will be next).

It's always the same view, but never really the same, is it:


Apple trees line our way. We also spotted the first autumn flowers in the fields. Summer as such is definitely over.






This time, we didn't see any deer in the vineyards. But we spotted a hare or two, and later met this shy little fellow, safely waiting on the other side of a ditch until we were gone before it made its way over.


Bright red berries on the bushes are a sure sign of autumn approaching. And some more apples - doesn't this tree look like straight out of a picture book?


It was a beautiful day, not too hot, just right for a nice long walk. We were quite ready for it on the Sunday of my Mum's birthday week - something different from the many lovely celebrations and gatherings we'd had!

At the allotment, my Dad had already laid the table for us. Coffee was ready, and so was the delicious apple cake my Mum had made. But you have probably already guessed that this wasn't the last walking for me on that day; I went off again after the coffee and cake break, this time on my own, to my favourite spot in the woods. There, I spotted even more signs of autumn, as you will see in my next post.

14 comments:

  1. The beauty of walking familiar routes is you appreciate the seasonal changes.... gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one reason why we like walking there in spring, summer and late summer/early autumn, too. We've not tried winter yet and I doubt we ever will, though.

      Delete
  2. I never tire of your walks Meike. Possibly because your area is so different from mine. When I walk - unless I do so in the Lews Castle grounds - there are no trees. In any case the light and the sky and what we meet on our walk in the flora and fauna is always changing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, since you have mentioned that there are no trees in your area, I have looked at your pictures again, especially the ones in your last post where you and Gaz have been climbing mountains. It really is strange for my middle-of-Europe-accustomed eyes to see such a tree-less landscape.
      Anyway, I am glad you are not bored to tears with my blog!

      Delete
  3. I wish we were having some more signs of autumn, here in Ohio...It's going to be 90degrees a little over 32 celcius) here today. Too hot! I do enjoy seeing your photos of walks. Those apples! We used to pick our own apples every fall and store them for the winter....I think I can smell apples right this minute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely day here yesterday, 24 Celsius or so, but instead of going for a walk I had arranged with my neighbours to do some necessary jobs around the house, and I am glad it got finally done. Today, though, it looks like it won't stop raining at all, so there won't be any walk. I'll have a cosy day at home, which is especially appreciated since next week will be very full and very busy.

      Delete
  4. Some walks are so lovely they don't grow tiresome, no matter how often they are taken. Very pretty, and i don't get to see apple orchards here, they don't grow well. Right now, though, the satsumas and oranges and kumquats are ripening fast, telling us the season is getting late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This walk will never get tiresome for me - besides, it is our choice to walk there, we could just as well take a bus or ride in the car with my Dad (although that would mean having to get up much earlier than we like to on a weekend).

      Delete
  5. I dearly love this walk and never tire of it! Just as I love the sound of that coffee and homemade apple cake waiting for you! Just as Carol said above: it is lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love the scent and taste of that coffee and apple cake, too, Kay :-)
      Maybe this walk for you corresponds with what your Stone Mountain / Arabia Moutain walks on your blog are for me.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful apple trees, and especially that last one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame there was a cloud in front of the sun just then, and it didn't look as if it was going to move on for a while, so I did not wait until I could take a picture of that beautiful last tree in the sun with a blue sky in the background. It still looks beautiful, though, doesn't it!

      Delete