Sunday 31 August 2014

Back again...

...at my favourite spot in/near the woods is where I wanted to be on that Sunday after our walk to the allotment and a well-deserved break with coffee and cake.
I had last been here on the 19th of June, and if you compare the pictures of that day with the ones in this post, you will notice that there is sill a lot of green about, but there is also a subtle change in colours taking place, colours that eventually will turn from greens to various shades of yellow, orange and brown.

Setting off from the allotment, I enjoyed walking with the sun in my back and having all that wide open space nearly all to myself:






Turning back to look at where I had come from, I saw these big clouds gathering behind me. But they just moved on, and it remained dry throughout the rest of the day and evening.


Now I was getting closer to where "my" grassy path leads off from the narrow tarmac lane to my favourite spot. But what was this? Heavy building machinery blocking my way, and the first part of a new path!




It being Sunday, nobody was working there, and so I gingerly stepped around the machine and was relieved to find the grassy path was still there. I hope they won't build a proper road through here - it would not be the lovely secluded and quiet spot anymore.




It was here that I saw some sure signs of autumn:





From the path, you can look at a small cluster of farm buildings without really being visible yourself.

Going back along the path, past the building machine, I couldn't help wondering what I would find here next time. A lane cutting through the field and through the woods, replacing the grassy path? Just that first bit covered in tarmac, making it more convenient for the farmer? I have no idea!



There is only one way to know: I have to come here again soon :-)

14 comments:

  1. I hope that nothing at all will disturb your lovely secluded path through the woods! I love all the photos in his post (though maybe the one with the farm equipment less so).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that, too, Kristi!
      Not sure which picture you mean, I haven't taken any with farm equipment?

      Delete
    2. Oh, right! I thought maybe you had gone back to the older post I had linked to, where there is (I think) one with some farm stuff at the top of a field.

      Delete
  2. It's a lovely walk and looks like just the right kind of day for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a pretty area, i hope they don't mess it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what the heavy machinery was all about? Let us know!
    The dreaded bulldozer is something that I hate seeing, it means death of trees, wildflowers and loss of habitat for my lovely birds. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is exactly what I am dreading for "my" path, Kay. Next time I'll be there, I will take my camera again and document the progress of whatever it is they have started doing along that field.

      Delete
  5. Hello Meike,

    Oh dear the heavy digging machine has an ominous look to it. It would certainly be a pity if your mysterious grassy path became a highly visible footpath. The countryside is indeed changing, albeit slowly, as its clothes become more autumnal. Next walk with scarf and boots, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane and Lance,
      Oh, I hope not! (Both - my grassy path becoming highly visible, and my next walk with scarf and boots.) We should be in for some nice sunny days still, as is often the case here in September, especially if August was as wet as this one.

      Delete
  6. It would have been nice to see a video clip of you driving the big yellow road machine. In England public rights of way have a lot of legal protection. Landowners have to have permission to make any changes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, if a landowner wants permission and comes across the "right" people in town council, they will get away with anything. It may not be quite as bad as it used to be during the 70s, when all sorts of concrete monstrosities arose in and around our picturesque town, but road traffic still has precedence over all other concerns here in Porsche and Daimler Country.

      Delete