Wednesday 25 March 2015

Read in 2015 - 12: Life After Life

Have you ever read anything by Kate Atkinson? If yes, you will know that her books are truly unique, both in style and in “build”; her stories follow paths that will surprise and delight you just as often as they will make you sad. My sister, who lent me “Life After Life”, made an interesting comment. While she was reading it, she said, she wasn’t sure whether she actually enjoyed the book or not, but afterwards, she couldn’t stop thinking about it for a long time. 



Well, I know for sure I have enjoyed the three or four books I have so far read by Kate Atkinson over the last 15 years. “Life After Life” was something to look forward to at night before going to sleep, and more often than not, I found myself reading “just one more chapter” when I really should have switched off the light.



The main character is Ursula Todd, and the book narrates her life from her birth in 1910 until 1967. Sounds simple enough, but it isn’t: It is not just the one life of this one person, but the story explores all the different turns her life could have taken – if she or someone else had taken a different decision, had done something else, had gone somewhere else. Each time her life reaches a point where it could have gone either way, both branches are followed up with. One always inevitably leads to Ursula’s death (the first time this happens is at the moment of her birth), the other sees her continue through the Great War, the 1920s and ‘30s, WWII, and so on. Both times, her death or life have consequences for all the other characters that make up the cast of “Life After Life”: her parents, siblings, friends, lovers, colleagues, children… and dogs.



All characters and places have in common that they are described so well you can really see them. Some are more lovable than others, but all matter one way or another in Ursula’s lives (and deaths). Apart from Kate Atkinson’s writing style, which I love very much, she also gives her readers detailed (but never tiringly so) insight into what life was like in the particular time and place Ursula finds herself in for each chapter. 


I not only highly recommend “Life After Life” as a Very Good Read, but I also found the information I found on the author’s website (including a youtube interview) well put together and very interesting. Some of it can also be found in the book itself; there is an "author's note" at the back which is something I would like to read in every good book.

20 comments:

  1. The author's name seemed familiar; after checking her website I think I might have seen the TV series based on her Jackson Brodie books. But my memories of it are rather vague.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the Brodie series (it was on German telly, too, and I do have a thing for Jason Isaacs...), but I found the series rather different from the one book I've read so far.

      Delete
  2. The only book by thsi author that I have enjoyed was her first; Behind the Scenes at the Museum (brilliant). I haven't tried this one, but from what I've herd from friends, it doesn't sound my kind of thing. But I'm glad you enjoyed it, Meike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Behind the Scenes is great, isn't it! I first read it in German, many years ago, and bought it in English years later. I've always meant to re-read it but so far have not gotten round to it.
      Quite a lot in "Life After Life" actually reminded me of it, so maybe you would like this one as well, after all.

      Delete
  3. I have devoured all of her books. They are brilliant, she’s an excellent writer. No mush or sentiment and false jocularity.

    I am on the look-out for the next one, it’s about time she published a new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully agree with you, Friko. They are brilliant, and she is an excellent writer.

      Delete
  4. I've read quite a few of her books and was given Life After Life (which has been borrowed and read by some of my friends). Both the giver and my friends have all enjoyed it immensely. I really must do some more reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been getting more reading time since I have been travelling to work on the train more often, plus I always try to read at least a few pages (one full chapter, preferably) before going to sleep.

      Delete
  5. Loved this book. I've read all of this author's books and i think this my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have to re-read "Behind the Scenes", I remember how much I enjoyed it when I read it the first time many years ago. This one comes close to being a favourite, too.

      Delete
  6. No, actually I have not heard of this writer, I will look her up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's "not for everyone", and I don't know your general taste in reading, but I think she is very good.

      Delete
  7. I have read this too, and I agree with your sister. I didn't exactly find it enjoyable, but it was very thought provoking. Kate is a very interesting author and I always look forward to seeing what she does next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you feel about this book a bit like I feel about Khaled Hosseini's books. They tell terrible stories (fictional, but based on the real life situation of people in Afghanistan, which makes them all the more terrible, because they are so true) but are great books nonetheless.

      Delete
    2. I agree with you about Khaled Hosseini's books. After I've finished one, I'm depressed for a week.

      Delete
    3. There are still phrases and whole scenes from the Kite Runner and the Suns playing in my head every now and then. Some of what is described - and all of it is taken from real lives - is too terrible to bear thinking about.

      Delete
  8. It is odd the way that this book, which has been out for some time, seems to be cropping up all the time in conversation with me at present! A friend was explaining to me the other day just why she did NOT like it, and then another friend also mentioned it. I always find Kate Atkinson interesting and eagerly read any new books by her. It really is a most fascinating idea for a book. Thanks for the link to the website too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you read this one yet, Jenny?
      I'd sort of "forgotten" about her with all the other reading I've been doing in the past 5 years or so, but my sister lending me this one has brought her fully back ont he map for me.

      Delete
  9. Well after all that discussion my copy is now almost at the top of my reading pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of the things I love about blogging; it sometimes can inflience someone else in making a decision. even if just a tiny bit. It happens to me, too, when I read other people's blogs.

      Delete