Saturday 28 November 2015

November Sun, Continued

In my previous post, I said that it was only two Sundays ago when we went walking on that wonderful sunny and uncharacteristically warm day. That was an error; actually, it was three Sundays ago. Still, it was November, and I never expected it to be so much like spring or even summer.

Here are the pictures from the second half of our walk.
We went back down to the river and followed the path for a little while.
 

From below, the vineyards looked wonderful in the sun.


There were some former vineyards, too, with all of their old stonewalls still there.


We came past this intriguing place tucked away in an old quarry. I would have loved to further investigate, but we didn't dare getting too close and intrude on someone else's private property.


Shortly afterwards, we took a steep road uphill. On top of the hill, it was really warm and sunny again:


The same former vineyards we saw from below:



Now we were on the path leading along the top of the hill. Looking down across the vineyards into the valley where we'd come from:
 

Back through the woods, and eventually to the car.
 

We had coffee and freshly baked apple cake at our parents' place afterwards. The best possible ending to such a lovely walk!

I am glad we made the most of the last of the warm, sunny Sundays for some months to come.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, those beautiful yellow vineyards! What a gorgeous sight! I'm surprised that Germany in November isn't colder and more....wintery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was even more gorgeous in real life, Jennifer. The leaves looked as if they were glowing from withing.
      Indeed November is supposed to be a lot colder and winterey here. We've often had snow this time of year. This year was the warmest on record!

      Delete
  2. Walks like that are like a medicine for the soul. The weather forecast for Yorkshire looks gloomy for the next few days. I am already feeling a little blue. I just don't like walking in persistent rain. It is miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking in the rain is not much fun, I agree. All the more important to make use of any walk-friendly weather we get!

      Delete
  3. WOW!! That gorgeous yellow of the vineyards AND fresh apple cake with your Mum & Dad? I know you realize how lucky you are, right? And when it is cold and wintry, I hope you will remember the gold colors of your November!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kay, I do know I am very, very lucky to live where I do, and have my parents close by and both well and active.
      This blog post will help my memory - I can go back to the pictures of the wonderful yellow vineyards when the real winter gloom sets in!

      Delete
  4. What glorious color on this walk...And time with your parents and kaffee und kuchen. (Which I'll be having at my daughters this afternoon as we all gather to sing around the Advent wreath for this first Sunday of Advent.)
    We had the same mild and sunny November far longer that normal. Such a gift. But winter is here now, even if a rather mild one so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your Advents-Singen mit Kaffee und Kuchen with your family, dear Kristi!
      I've lit the first candle on the wreath my Dad gave me for my breakfast this morning, and will light it again when I sit in the living room later to watch some telly.

      Delete
  5. I need to live by water or where I have relatively easy access to water. I tend to think of that as the ocean or a major river but a even a stream like the one in your first photo would keep me sane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being near water is nice, but I don't have to see/hear it all the time. I guess it has something to do with what one is used to. I've lived in this town most of my life, and although the river Neckar is only a 10 minute bike ride from my childhood home, I never thought about how nice it would be to live so close that the river would always be "there".

      Delete
  6. A long, health-giving walk is a wonderful way to spend a day.
    Ending it with Apfeltorte und Kaffee, hm, das koennte mir sehr gut gefallen.

    Pheasant is quite tasty, but it has a tendency to be dry, a bit like venison. Man koennte die Fasanenbrust spicken, so wie venison, man koennte die abgetrennten Stuecke aber auch marinieren.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Es gibt so perfekte Tage, und das war definitiv einer davon!

      Danke für den Fasanen-Tipp. Sollte ich wirklich 'mal probieren. Marinieren wäre dabei wohl eher mein Ding.

      Delete