Monday 20 November 2017

Some More Autumn Colours

November 1st is a holiday in Germany, All Saints. This year, it fell on a Wednesday, and the day was sunny and bright.
O.K. and I went for a short drive to Lahr, less than 15 km from the village. Lahr is a town with around 45,000 inhabitants. It has a picturesque historical old town centre and is well worth a visit. O.K. knows it well, but somehow we had not been there yet together.

We knew there was an event going on, the Chrysanthema. It is a festival dedicated to - you guessed it - the chrysanthemum. This beautiful flower comes in all colours and various sizes, and we enjoyed the beautiful (and sometimes funny) displays around town centre. I only took a few pictures with my phone, as there were so many people about.

In fact, it was so packed, we did not stay all that long, just had a quick stroll through the main streets in the centre before heading back home. But the colours were so beautiful that even those few pictures deserve sharing, I think:




It probably was especially packed because a) it was the 20th anniversary of the festival, b) it was a holiday so that everybody had time and c) the weather was gorgeous. You can see many more photos on the official website here if you like.

Later that afternoon, we went out for another walk near the village to catch the last rays of sun, now that sunset comes earlier and earlier every day. And we did, as you can see:



This was taken a few minutes before 5:00 pm. Three hours after that, O.K. took me to the train station and I was on my way home, reaching my flat at about 20 minutes to 11 pm. I'd been away since Saturday morning and had really enjoyed those 5 days at O.K.'s.

I know November is the least favourite month for many people, and I would have enough reason to feel the same, what with Steve's death having happened in that month. But November was off to such a beautiful start on its first day, and there have been other good and happy times in the first half, that there is no need (and it does not make sense anyway) for brooding over the past or "disliking" an entire month.

16 comments:

  1. You are moving on. OK is helping you to look forward and to be truly happy again. I suspect that you are doing the same for him - whatever disappointments happened in his own past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardly anyone will get to the age of 50 without disappointments and personal catastrophes to various extents, I suppose. If I can make O.K. happy, that makes me happy, too.

      Delete
  2. Glorious color! I love the way purple and yellow intensify one another when they are close. I am remembering the beginning of Little Women when Jo says that November is such a disagreeable month and no wonder her birthday falls in it. (Not an exact quote, of course.) But there is no need to dislike an entire month...For instance, today is brilliantly bright with sunshine here in the Western Reserve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the yellow and purple flowers were real stunners together!
      It's many years ago that I read "Little Women", but your remark sounds very much like something Jo would say :-)

      Delete
  3. Oh wow. 1st November is way past flower festivals here... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrysanthemums are typical autumn flowers here, even though they start in late summer. That festival lasts three weeks! I'd not known of it until we went there.

      Delete
  4. Those colours - wow - so vivid. You are right, life will always have its personal tragedies; and you are right to move on - to live your life rather than dwell. I think we are so lucky than some people come into our lives and stay awhile - we don't want them to leave, but but they wouldn't want us to stop because they can't be with us anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true, Mike!
      The colours really were like that, I have not done anything to the pictures.

      Delete
  5. I do like your last paragraph - this is my philosophy too. Whatever we do or feel - nothing will bring them back. We just have to soldier on and remember the happy times.
    You ask what is a Remoska. It is a kind of cooker for one - a teflon saucepan with the electric element in the lid. It is really good and saves on electricity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pat, so nice of you to pop over and explain about the Remoska! I've never heard of it before.
      Yes, you can relate to what I mean with my last paragraph.

      Delete
  6. Wow, you know I love those MUMS!! Lucky you in Germany to have November 1st as a holiday, we should have it off in Georgia too, since that is when our leaves are their best color!
    My mother-in-law will be 90 on Dec. 5th and she still dislikes the month of February since that is when Richard's Dad died when Richard was only three years old.
    Your OK is okay with me! Very happy to know that YOU are so happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, holidays should be at times that allow one to really enjoy the place where they live to the full, shouldn't they!
      Thanks, Kay, you are sweet as always :-)

      Delete
  7. I would have liked the chrysanthemum festival. When I first went to Japan I was surprised at the amazing displays of chrysanthemums I saw in certain places, but then realised that they are funerary flowers. Did the festival have any of the very tall ones with spidery petals? I agree with you that there's no point in disliking an entire month but I decided to change the date I celebrated my birthday when my parents each died one on either side of the date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although I can not remember whether the very tall chrysanthemums with spidery petals were there - it was such a lot to take in, and bustling with people left, right and centre. But there were many references to Japan, displays put up like small Japanese gardens, and boards painted delicately with Japanese ladies and writing. How authentic it was, I have no idea.
      I can understand about shifting your birthday celebration to a different date. Even the Queen does it, so why shouldn't you (although for very different reasons) :-)

      Delete
  8. Those flowers are amazing, amazing. Years ago we were in England and there was a celebration called Corpus Christi where they made a carpet of flowers in the aisle of a church. It was incredible. I'm happy that you and OK are doing well. I love it that All Saints' Day is a holiday. I grew up in an Episcopal church that was called All Saints' and that day was very special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have seen the other displays, Nan; my photos really only show a very small part, it was just too packed for me to enjoy taking more pictures.

      Delete