Monday 21 January 2019

An Update on Plans, the Weather and Family

Sometimes I wish my eyes and my weekly schedule would make blogging as easy and frequent as it used to be. But instead of starting a whiny post, moaning and complaining about things I can not do all that much about, I'll give you an update on my plans for this year, the weathere and my family.

First things first: My Dad keeps making progress! Last week, he has been on a short walk entirely on his own for the first time since the end of September/start of October. It was really only very short (I would not even think twice about it if it were me to walk from my parents' house to where my Dad had an appointment), but he really wanted to go on his own, and he did. One small walk for me, one big step for my Dad after all he went through the past months!
Also, he has started to cook again. Both my parents have always been good cooks, and when he still worked, my Dad enjoyed cooking on weekends, either on his own or with my Mum. We loved almost everything they put on the dining table for us, and thanks to my Dad's taste, we were familiar with hot, spicy food from an early age, and there was little we would not eat. No such thing as NOT wanting anything green, hating spinach or cheese! When I was little and other kids in kindergarden or at school said they did not eat this or that, I was always puzzled as to how come they didn't love spinach as much as I did, or enjoy bread and cheese.

I digress; I said I was going to tell you about plans for this year.
Because of my Dad's illness, my sister and I cancelled the Yorkshire Holiday we were supposed to go on last October. We have finally managed to re-schedule and are now going at the end of March. It will probably be too early for the bluebells, and possibly the weather will not always be walk-friendly, but we are always happy to be there in "our" cottage, see the family and friends and (re-)visit places we love, such as Fountains Abbey.
We'll be away on my birthday, something that has only happened twice before, if I remember correctly: Once when I was 10, we were on Easter holiday in France, and when I turned 20, I was at Librarian School. I remember my sister and a friend sending me a telegram together - the first (and so far only) telegram I ever received!
Anyway, this year, I have booked Champagne Afternoon Tea at Swinton Park Hotel for my birthday. We've been to this beautiful place in 2017; you can look at the pictures and read about it here.

Now the weather: We've had snow (as you know from my next-to-last post) for a few days, but it was soon all gone.
Last Thursday on my way to work, I saw this beautiful pink sky in the morning:



View from the office window later that morning:



The day was mostly sunny, and when I left work at 5:00, it was still almost daylight! Friday morning was a different story, though... it snowed again (but did not last long):



I arrived at O.K.'s after an uneventful and punctual train trip on Friday evening. Saturday was the most beautiful day we've seen yet this year, with wall to wall sunshine. It was cold, but the kind of cold you can dress against easily. It would have been a shame to stay indoors, so we had only the briefest of breakfast and headed out for about 4 hours of walking, somewhere between 16 and 17 km altogether.

Here are some pictures of that walk.
This is Schloss Ortenberg (Ortenberg Castle), where we've been before (as seen on this post and others):



Panoramic view of the vineyards where we were walking, taken by O.K. Clicking on the picture will enlarge it. On the horizon you may just about make out a chain of mountains; these are the Vosges (in France).



I was surprised to see this ilex still so full of berries:


On Sunday, it snowed again, and I worried about my train trip home - unnecessarily, as both my trains were punctual, and I was home at 20 to 11 pm after a very cold (but short) walk from the station to my flat.

The view on Sunday morning from O.K.'s balcony:


25 comments:

  1. Lovely to hear that your father's health graph is going up rather than down. Like you, when I was a child, I was taught to appreciate everything that was put on my plate. The idea of turning your nose up at anything was unthinkable.

    Your English is usually quite brilliant Meike but you may wish to amend "the kind of could you can dress against easily". I know you are a stickler for accuracy and that's the only reason I have drawn your attention to this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, YP - typo amended!
      There are of course a few things I would not eat, and still do not like today, such as "blood sausage" (a bit like black pudding)or marzipan. On the whole, though, I will at least try most things, and some of the things I was not fond of as a child I now have regularly (such as coffee).

      Delete
  2. I am so very happy to hear that your Dad continues to improve. He has the spirit to begin to do again the things he enjoys - walks and cooking which is very creative and healing, I think. My children always liked what we were eating. It really wasn't much of an issue. I remember being a bit surprised when every so often someone would say to me, " Oh, your children eat vegetables?" We love vegetables....Well, I do have to confess I am not fond of marzipan, although I like almonds. Some of my grandchildren are a tiny bit picky about food, but not the ones who come for dinner on Fridays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly had my picky moments as a kid, but my parents never cooked extra for themselves or served us a special "children's menue" like I sometimes read about on other people's blogs.

      Delete
  3. I forgot to mention how delicious that champagne tea looks and how beautiful that sunset. Glad you had a good weekend with OK and came home safely in good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a relief to arrive home without any delays! The worst is the not knowing, when information is sparsely given or inaccurate, and I simply do not know when or where my next train will go from.

      Delete
  4. I live about five miles from Swinton Park and sometimes have a spa day there.
    As you are so near do please try this time to call in for a coffee - or for a meal - I would love to welcome you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you having mentioned the occasional spa day at Swinton, it sounds just wonderful! If you are not away or otherwise busy yourself, we should definitely arrange to meet up this time.

      Delete
  5. I am glad your father is improving, he needs to take it easy, walking a bit at a time is the best way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has also been to the bakery on his own. It looks like he is re-conquering some of his former activities step by step.

      Delete
  6. So hapy to hear that your father is improving.

    The pink sky is very good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Recep! I think we have not "met" before. Welcome to my blog, and thanks for popping over and commenting!

      Delete
  7. So glad that your Dad is improving. Please say a prayer for my Dad, Meike...he is better now but...I will try to email you soon, my friend! Take care. (I also love the pink sky.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Kay! Sorry to hear your Dad's health is/was worrying.

      Delete
  8. You aren't being whiny. I feel really badly about your eyes. What do the doctors say? I thought they were to be better soon. I love the idea of you being in England for your birthday! I would love to do that someday. Happy, happy about your dad's walking. And of course, you and O.K.'s walks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last week Monday, the doctor said: "Anatomically, it's all very beautiful!" And it clear that the left eye will never be exactly as it was before the OP; it is better as regards to what had to be operated, but I've been very myopic from early childhood and after decades of that the optical nerve has suffered. What can be done is being done. At my next appointment in April, we'll measure for new glasses - that should make a bit of a difference, too.

      Delete
    2. Me, too. Glasses since 5th grade, I think. I hope the new glasses will make a difference.

      Delete
  9. Pleased to read of your father's improvement. March may be a better time to visit as the days will be longer.
    Just written a blog post about a recent visit to Fountains Abbey and then read you hope to revisit. I can understand why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! Oh, I'll pop over to your blog right away, I want to see what you posted about Fountains, one of my favourite places on this planet.

      Delete
  10. Glad to hear of your dad's progress! And I hope you'll get a nice spring holiday and birthday celebration in Yorkshire when the time comes :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a bit late to the party but it's really good to hear the news of your Dad as well as all the other things you've mentioned. All in all a pretty thorough catch-up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you've had other things on your mind (and little or no occasion) and blogging was not at the top of your priority list. Good to see you back!

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry I've been absent for a while dear - life keeps throwing things in my way and the computer is not enjoyable with aches and pains in shoulders, arms and hands, so energy is compromised. Now I'm in my annual Feb. funk - this is a month I never seem to enjoy.
    I love knowing your dear Dad is improving - that's wonderful.
    Hopefully your weather is getting less like winter and spring is not too far off. Your upcoming trip in March is something to look forward to - I'm planning to visit England also this spring but later than you -, - lets hope we both get good weather for some pleasant walking. I'm ready for fresh air by the seaside!

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Mary, Limiting your computer time is definitely in order when you have pains in shoulders, arms and hands. I do hope your physio helps!
      We're having mixed weather; Saturday was rather mild but dull and grey most of the day, Sunday was colder and still grey. Today is also relatively cold, but the sun has been out all day and you could tell it has already more power than some weeks ago.
      I hope your trip to England will allow for plenty of fresh air by the seaside!

      Delete