Tuesday 9 April 2019

Yorkshire Holiday 2019 - Along the River

Tuesday, the 26th of March, we met for lunch with our friends George and Lilian Pickles. As long-time readers of my blog, you'll probably remember that George Pickles used to be Ripon's Hornblower for 12 years before retiring from that position; there are several (sort of) guest posts by and an interview with him on my blog. He and his lovely wife are now both in their early 80s and great company - witty, interested and interesting, charming, open-minded, well travelled and just really very very nice people.

The Water Rat is a pub close to where my mother-in-law lives, and I've been there with the family and with friends several times. This year, it has undergone a massive make-over and is now more a restaurant than a pub. It had only reopened on the Saturday before our lunch, so everything was really still brand new.

The owner came to greet us at our table, and when George spotted former Mayor and Freeman of the City Mr John Richmond, he introduced us, too. We felt a little bit like celebrities! The food was very nice, and I was happy to discover the Water Rat stocks my favourite brand of ginger beer. Most of all, though, we enjoyed the company of our friends, and are determined to keep up the tradition on our next visit.

After the meal, we felt the need to go for a walk. The weather looked a bit uncertain about what it wanted to do, and so we decided not to go far. A quick stroll along the river was just right. Ripon sits on three rivers: the Ure, the Laver and the Skell. The one that goes right through the city centre and also past the Water Rat and my mother-in-law's house is the Skell.




On our way back, it was still early enough for the cathedral to be open for visitors, and so we finally went inside after having taken so many photos already from the outside.



Whether you see it as a place of worship or not, it is simply a wonderful building well worth your time. As we've been inside so many times already, we just wanted to have a quick look around - we were going to be back in two days for a concert and on Saturday for a fair anyway.


Back at the cottage, we were both still relatively full from lunch and so opted for a light tea/dinner of salad, two types of bread (toasted) and a selection of cheeses, accompanied by a glass of red, in front of the fireplace and watching TV.

14 comments:

  1. Impressive cathedral! And I love that door... Always fascinatednated by details like that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure whether that same door has not already appeared in a past post about Ripon cathedral - it is so much "my" kind of door and has obviously been around much longer than I've been visiting the place :-)

      Delete
  2. It all looks so peaceful and quietly beautiful. I can see why you like to visit regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is peaceful and yet very much alive, not like a museum where people only speak in hushed tones, but welcoming and warm.

      Delete
  3. I do enjoy seeing Yorkshire through your eyes. The lunch sounded lovely, meeting with friends again. And like Dawn Treader, I love that door on the Cathedral and the window inside. Nice tea in the evening. It sounds very cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is that cosiness we so like about "our" cottage, Kristi! Here at home, I would never think of installing an artificial fire place in my flat, but there, it fits.

      Delete
  4. I can't think of a nicer place to wander round than Ripon - it always seems so timeless. Glad you enjoyed your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice thing to say about Ripon, Pat! Yes, it is timelessly beautiful.

      Delete
  5. I thought Ripon was absolutely lovely when I visited it once on a Lewis Carroll Society outing. Lewis Carroll's father was archdeacon of Ripon Cathedral and I took the chance to look around quite a lot - I always like cathedrals anyhow. It seemed a most delightful place and I do hope to return one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you've been there, Jenny, and I am sure you'd not regret returning. The place where the Carrolls lived back then is just next door to the cathedral. I'd love to go inside and have a look round there, too, but it is not open to the public.

      Delete
  6. I wish I could meet George and Lilian Pickles! I am so glad that you were able to meet up with them again.
    I would love to visit that Cathedral. It does look magnificent.
    Your light dinner with the bread, salad and cheese with wine looks very good indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would love them, Kay! And you would also love the cathedral. It is one of those places one never tires of, no matter how many visits.
      The type of meal we had that evening is similar to what O.K. often makes for us when I arrive there at around 9:00 pm on a Friday night.

      Delete
  7. It was good to see the inside of the cathedral again: it's many years since I was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess not much has changed since your last visit.

      Delete