Monday 15 April 2019

Yorkshire Holiday 2019 - Ripley

Friday, the 29th of March, saw us once more returning to a place we love (plus it has the advantage of being easily reachable by bus): Ripley.
If you want to see pictures of Ripley in the summer, simply type "Ripley" in the search box on the top left corner of this page, and you will find several posts about it from former visits.

It was a day of cloudless blue sky and the warmest of our holiday so far - perfect for strolling around the beautiful parkland and village of Ripley.

First, though, we stopped at the church.


A rather impressive rosemary bush
View towards Ripley Castle

The beautiful ceiling

The official visitor season had not yet begun, and so entrance to the estate (without visiting the castle) was free. It is one of those places that are beautiful in all seasons and weather, but of course we were extra lucky today with the sunshine showing the parkland and gardens at their best.
















We don't know what the point of this huge chair was, but I could not resist sitting on it.
It was lunch time, and the café just across the road from the castle (also part of Ripley estate) was busy. We still managed to find a table outside in the sun and ordered lunch. My Yorkshire Platter was huge - my sister had to help me, even though her own meal, a quiche, wasn't exactly tiny, either. It was delicious, and sitting out there in the sun made the rather long wait for our food and drinks easier.



Afterwards, we walked around the village (which is quickly done - it really isn't much more than two rows of houses along the main road) and then up the hill, past the estate and through beautiful woodland, filled with spring birdsong, before it was time to go back and catch a bus home to Ripon.




The day ended with a visit next door, at our landlady's, who served us delicious nibbles to go with the G&T all three of us opted for.

16 comments:

  1. Those platters of food are just not manageable for the normal person. I find it quite difficult to get up any appetite at all when faced with these English quantities. You could have taken some of it home for your supper, they don’t mind you asking for a doggy bag in most pubs nowadays.

    Although we had several holidays in Yorkshire, I don’t thin we ever went to Ripley. It seems to be a nice and pretty place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about the size of portions in some places - and they are so in contrast with what posh restaurants serve while charging a fortune! I don't mind paying higher prices if the quality and service are worth it, but sometimes the one does not match the other.

      Delete
  2. This is truly beautiful, and I think it is mostly a plus that you were before the tourist season. I think I remember that beautiful church ceiling from an earlier post. My, what a lunch! It looks delicious, but quite a lot. Did you take some back to Matchbox Cottage with you, for your supper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did not - it simply did not cross my mind to ask, but I now realise I could and should have done so.
      Yes, Ripley being rather quiet was a bonus. We've been in the middle of summer in past years, too, but although there were of course more people around then, it was never packed; the estate is large and the crowds spread thinly once they are past the shop and the eating places.

      Delete
  3. It's years since I went to Ripley but it is lovelier without the tourists I must say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've never seen it really packed, not even in August, but there is always a queue at that part of the village shop where they sell Brymore's ice cream!

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful post, I love all these photos! Are you sure you didn't see a bottle that said "drink me" and then you shrunk down and sat down in that chair? (Like Alice in Wonderland?) I would have sat in that chair too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And your Dad would have, too, Kay - I am sure of that!
      I did send that picture to O.K., saying "I'm afraid I've shrunk a bit in the wash" :-)

      Delete
    2. You are so right! For someone who never met my Dad, you most certainly "KNOW" him! xx

      Delete
    3. All thanks to your posts about him, dear Kay!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful pictures and panorama. The Yorkshire platter looks good too. I don't like to travel anymore, maybe because I travelled so much when I was young, but it's also because now both trains and buses have windows which cannot be opened and I suffer from claustrophobia, in fact I barely even take our city buses whose windows can still be opened. Never mind flying, out of the question!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Francesca!
      Most of the time, I don't mind travelling, but there are times when I wish windows would still open on trains!
      Flying with claustrophobia is of course not something one would consider.

      Delete
  6. How lovely that you got to enjoy such beautiful spring weather on your holiday! I love that huge chair. Looks like you were visiting Giants! (and considering the size of those portions of food as well...) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you have a point there, Monica - we were visiting Giants indeed!

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed that. The chair tickled my sense of humour. Your platter is very much a meal I would enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was another great day filled with beauty, fun and good food!

      Delete