Wednesday 3 June 2020

Four Churches Walk

Yes, another walk! It is just the perfect time of year for it, and my favourite activity anyway, so I gladly grab any chance I get to be out there in the sun.

The Friday after Ascension (see my previous post), both O.K. and I worked. I was able to finish early enough to catch a train to Offenburg in time for a leisurely sundowner on the balcony. In fact, the train was almost 10 minutes EARLY - something that happens very, very rarely!

The Saturday (May 23) was rather chilly at only 12 Celsius, and rainy. It was the perfect excuse for a quiet day of lounging around with just a quick walk around the village late afternoon when the rain stopped. 

But Sunday, the 24th of May, was sunny again. In the village's weekly paper, I had come across a suggestion for a walk covering all three villages that make up the administrative community of O.K.'s village, and their four churches. The walk was prepared and signposted by the community's Heimatverein, an association of people who love their area and care for it, promoting its beauty and quality of life.

We started at the church of O.K.'s village, St. Gallus in Hofweier:


Being local, of course we knew quite well how to reach the next village and the next church, but we were determined to follow the description and the route as intended by the Heimatverein. The path took us down Church Valley and uphill again, along the top of the hill between orchards and vineyards to this tiny chapel:


View of O.K.'s village, the clouds making for great skyscapes:


Approaching the next village, Niederschopfheim:

Coming up towards the next church, St. Brigitta:

We did not go inside, but had a look at the sign outside, explaining a bit about the church's history:

On we went across the fields to the third village, Diersburg:

Church No. 3 on the walk was the only Protestant church in this small cluster of villages; as you can see, much newer than the others, although there had been an older building for centuries (dedicated in 1790), and the stained glass windows and other elements from the old church have cleverly been incorporated in the new building.
Does anyone else find that the tower looks like a not very happy face?



 The Catholic church in Diersburg:

It was now 3:00 pm, and before we left Diersburg, O.K. bought us coffee to go from a bakery/café that was open for business, a welcome stop.

The signposts led us to a different route out of the village than what we would usually take:


Looking back at Diersburg:

Up and down several hills...



...before the communal wood of Hofweier (called Hohhölzle) came into view. From there, it wasn't far to the cottage.

Top-down view of the recently planted troughs in front of the cottage, as seen from the balcony. We had chosen the flowers together during our holiday at the start of May, and they are doing really well:

This had been a very nice walk. At 13 km, it was not too long to be utterly exhausting, but not too short, either. Signposting could have been better in places, and if I had not been with O.K. and not known the area rather well already, I would have probably taken the wrong path a few times. But we both enjoyed this closer look at the three villages and their churches, and I can well imagine to repeat the circuit on a sunny autumn day, when the vineyards show their colours.

20 comments:

  1. Isn't in always interesting to see just how different the architecture is in countries which are quite close together - the greenery (apart from vineyard) is so similar but the churches so very different. Lovely interesting walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat!
      Yes, and even in the same country architecture differs from region to region. O.K. and I live in the same federal state (Baden-Württemberg), but the typical style of houses and churches in his area is rather different from my area.

      Delete
  2. The countryside there is beautiful. Is it quiet? What does it sound like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Away from people, it is quiet; there is a lot of birdsong around, and of course in the Black Forest (and other woodland) you can often hear the trees moving in the wind.

      Delete
  3. Another satisfying walk through really beautiful countryside! Yes, I do think the tower of that Protestant church looks not only not very happy but downright worried...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a beautiful area, and mostly peaceful and prosperous. I feel so lucky to be able to spend so much time there (by which I do not mean that I do not also like my hometown and surrounding area a lot).

      Delete
  4. Wonderful walk. The tower looks as befuddled as most of us feel these days--that is--when not completely outraged by the actions of an orange idiot. Only wish there was a peaceful place for walking like O.K.'s area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved seeing the differences and similarities in the churches. I am usually partial to the older style churches but they are all lovely. Your walk looks enjoyable and those clouds are wonderful to see. It must be fun to go back and see the growth in the flowers you both planted together! They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admittedly, I rarely like modern churches; they have too much concrete and something of a parking garage feel for me. But of course they are also several decades old now, and have seen at least two generations of visitors, too.
      Well, O.K. did all the planting! I only helped choosing the flowers, and pointing out where I thought they'd look best.

      Delete
  6. As always, your walk was beautiful! I love the church pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I do see the not very happy face in the tower!
    What a lovely walk but I do hope you get rain very soon, you will be glad to get it, I am sure!
    You know I would love to see those churches! Richard and I visited 7 churches in London in one day, I really should write about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your "Day of Seven Churches" sounds interesting, Kay. I wonder how many of them I have been to!
      We did indeed have a bit of rain yesterday, and a few more drops today. Nowhere near enough yet, but it's a start.

      Delete
  8. The Diersburg church looks distinctly miserable. The architect obviously was not a man an imagination. Or perhaps he had a sense of humour (I don't think so!). Or perhaps he had been to Lewis and thought all Protestants were inherently miserable. Wir werden nie wissen. You can tell that I am in a flippant mood today.

    I thought the skyscapes were very emphatic and loved them. I could feel myself out in the fresh breeze.

    I was going to treat myself to a good walk today but this morning was chaotic. A friend said she would come down for an outside socially distanced coffee this afternoon but although the sun is shining there is a bitter very strong wind from the North so that was abandoned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that your walk did not come about. I have not been out yesterday for lack of time and today because I've spent most of the day in bed, nursing a big fat headache.
      Those skyscapes were impressive! We daringly had gone out without umbrellas or raincoats, and were rewarded by not needing any.

      Delete
  9. Lovely landscape/skyscape photos, and interesting to see the churches as well. (I read the post first on my phone or tablet but coming back on the computer today to see the photos larger.) I think that white church looks sleepy. Makes me wonder if the impression changes depending on what time of day it is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Monica - the clock faces really make the church tower's "face" look sleepy! It was probably having an afternoon nap :-)

      Delete
  10. Here am I in coronavirus lockdown, but I have been on holiday in a heavenly corner of the world. So much to see, so much to remember forever ... the churches of St. Gallus, St. Brigitta, the church in Diersburg and the cafe-bakery (I love bakeries and cafes in your country though I have only ever visited Rhineland Germany), the glorious landscape, the communal wood with the magical name of Hohholzle ... Thank you transporting me from rainy Glasgow, Scotland, to Arcadia! One day I shall visit in person.

    John Haggerty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad my walk brought you joy and triggered happy memories, John.

      Stay safe!

      Delete