Wednesday 24 June 2020

Hahn & Henne

Hahn & Henne is German for cock & hen, meaning really just that - the male and female of the species. It is also the brand name of a type of tableware originating from the small Black Forest town of Zell. The pattern is over 100 years old and still going strong. You can see pictures and learn more about it here. (The company have translated it as "Rooster and Hen" - I wonder why!) I remember we had a few pieces at home when I was a kid, and I think my parents still have the large coffee mug.

Zell is about half an hour's drive from O.K.'s village. On Friday, the 12th of May, we both had the day off; Thursday, the 11th (Ascension) was a Bank Holiday, and for us a good opportunity to turn it into a long weekend of four days that we could spend together.

The day was sunny and hot, 28 C (82 F), so a woodland walk/hike was a good idea. We decided to start from Zell and walk the Hahn & Henne route. Yes, there is a walk/hike/circuit named after the famous tableware, spanning about 14 km and taking in beautiful views across the Black Forest. Some bits are rather steep, but most of the time, the path is pleasant - and well signposted throughout!



There are many benches and other signs along the path to remind the walker that this is indeed the Hahn & Henne circuit:



Beautiful meadows, close to where we stopped to have our packed lunch:




The building below is called Vogt auf Mühlstein, a farm/guest house/restaurant that has been catering for the needs of walkers, hikers, cyclists and busloads of tourists for about a 100 years. In itself, the place is much older; first mention of a homestead here dates back to the year 712. Much of the building today is from around 1774.
A chapel (unfortunately behind the trees in my picture) was built next to the house in 1903. The door was open, and I took this picture of the sun painted on the ceiling and the words on the wall: Lobsinget dem Herrn ihr Berge und Täler, meaning "Praise the Lord, you mountains and valleys".


I was fascinated by the moss-covered old roof of one of the outbuildings:


The place was brimming with visitors, now that restaurants etc. are allowed to be open again - too many for our liking, and so we merely bought two bottles of shandy to drink on a bench in the shade and then walked on.

At one point, we spotted the castle we went to on our longest hike back in May; it is visible in the distance between the two trees:

You can see it better zoomed in:



As we were obviously not the only people to have taken that particular Friday off and had the idea to do the Hahn & Henne circuit, there were many other walkers and cyclists about. But there were still parts of the route where we were on our own and had only the sound of birdsong for company. 

Back home in time for coffee and cake on the balcony and later a delicious BBQ for just the two of us rounded up this perfect early summer's day.

25 comments:

  1. I do so enjoy your walks - the countryside is so beautiful. Next time you come over here it really would be good if we could meet - even if only for a coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Pat! Yes, I'd love that. The only problem is our limited mobility - to get to you from us is rather time-consuming without a car.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Sorry - I only know about three words in Turkish, and the ones you have typed here are not among them.

      Delete
    2. I know none, but google translate knows them all.

      Delete
    3. Google translate can be useful, but I still prefer comments in a language that I understand.

      Delete
  3. Whilst your translation of "Hahn" is perfectly correct, "Cockerel" or even "Rooster" (think John Wayne) may be preferable since "cock" has a rather unfortunate connotation. No doubt, YP - in his usual witty wordplay - will pick you up on it.

    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fully aware of that connotation, Ursula (as you have probably assumed) and won't be surprised if YP picks up on it. He may well surprise us by NOT doing so!
      Thank you for popping over, reading and commenting :-)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful blue skies above you and shade when you need it. A good combination for a lovely walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed a good combination for a lovely walk, Mary.

      Delete
  5. Again, what beautiful countryside for walking. Photograph 5 (with the felled timber) could be the lush green woods and mountains of North Wales, but I can tell immediately that the others are not in Britain, although I would not know where. It's strange how you can look at photographs and gain an impression of the location from the colours and topography and vegetation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean. It's the same with TV shows; sometimes when I flick through the hundreds of channels the satellite dish on the roof provides, I can tell from the briefest glimpse whether a show is German, British or American (and that's with all of them running in German).

      Delete
  6. The photos you take on your walks are always so beautiful! I love opening them up on my desktop computer so I can examine them closely. For a minute or two I can almost imagine myself there...like a tiny little vacation in my head! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing to say, Jennifer, thank you! I am glad that my photos can do that for you. I often think they look so similar to each other, but they really are never quite the same, and somehow I just can not get enough of walking in the Black Forest region.

      Delete
  7. This looks so very beautiful and exactly the kind of walk that I am longing to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you and Richard would love it, Kay!

      Delete
  8. I truly love your pictures taken from your Black Forest walks! I would love to be able to walk in such a lovely wooded area. I am also fascinated by buildings like the farm/restaurant that have been around and used for so many years. It looks like you and O.K. really enjoyed that long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We certainly made the most of it, Bonnie, knowing that there won't be another chance for spending so much time together until September.

      Delete
  9. One of the advantages of being late to the party is that you get to read all the comments too. Mind you the disadvantage is that it leaves me nothing original to say. So, having read the post and then taken the walk with you on the enlarged photos, all I can do is say how enjoyable it was this evening walking with you with a glass of wine in my hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I forgot to say that I know that potter well. I don't have any now but I and my wife used to have a few pieces although I can't remember how we got them.

      Delete
    2. Walking with a glass of wine in your hand? That sounds very relaxed - and definitely would not have been possible on some of the steeper and narrower stretches! :-)
      How nice that you know the potter. You are probably the only one here!

      Delete
  10. Oh, dear, I am getting behind with my blogs and all. I always love seeing photos of the places you hike or walk. Always interesting and sometimes bringing back happy memories. Be well, dear Meike.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very calming pictures .Liked you blog . Stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shilpa, you too. I can not remember having seen you here before, so welcome to my blog!

      Delete