Tuesday 24 November 2020

Two Sundays Ago...

 ...it felt much more like spring or late summer than mid-November. It was sunny and warm at almost 20 C (68 F). But the autumn colours all around us, and the produce of most of the fields, vineyards and orchards being harvested, were a constant reminder of how far advanced this year already is.

As has become our habit, we packed our water bottles, prepared sandwiches and other food, and set off directly from O.K.'s cottage. This time, we walked south across the fields, passing the villages of Niederschopfheim, Oberschopfheim and Oberweier.

On a bench overlooking the Rhine valley with views all the way to France and the Vosges mountains, we had our packed lunch - plus a glass of rosé wine, which O.K. had carried in his rucksack, protected by an insulating bag and therefore still reasonably chilled.






From there, we made our way back through the woods; as you can see, the Black Forest was anything but black. We crossed the village of Diersburg and had the rest of the wine on a sunny bench overlooking the village. Sitting there in the sun with the man I love was one of those timeless moments that are so entirely "there", with no thoughts of work or other things intruding.






It was just after 4:00 pm when we were home again, in time for coffee and cake. The sky had changed quite a bit by then, making it look and feel much later than it actually was.







The next morning, O.K. dropped me off at the station as usual. 

Unlike all the other Monday mornings since I have begun taking that particular train, it was late by more than half an hour. I still managed to catch the second half of the first meeting at work; it is not a meeting that requires preparation or even presence but goes ahead whether I am there or not, but I try to participate whenever possible. Therefore, I don't fret when this happens - also because fretting wouldn't change a thing; the train wouldn't go any faster and I wouldn't arrive home any earlier. Having had such a beautiful weekend certainly contributed to my relaxed state of mind. 

Of course I still hope that next Monday, my trains will be on time again.

13 comments:

  1. That was yet another beautiful trip which brings joy to the eye and the heart.

    "Fretting wouldn't change a thing". My sentiment exactly. Worry is one of the most useless of emotions. Of course sometimes we all do it but it achieves nothing except to upset us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Admittedly, I am not always as cool and relaxed as I would like to, but the older I get, the easier it becomes.

      Yes, that walk was joyful from start to finish.

      Delete
  2. The beautiful hikes and time spent with O.K. certainly helps you maintain an even temper as shown by your attitude regarding the late train. If one can't change the outcome, it only makes sense to deal with it calmly. Keeps your serenity intact. V. necessary these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Mary! Of course I have moments when I feel less calm and serene - I am only human, after all. And living the way I do helps, with few stress factors.

      Delete
  3. Ah, those moments outside of time!
    Your wrist watch is ticking, but you are in a higher place.
    The native Australians call it the Dream Time.

    The Russian poet Mayakovsky left a poem at his deathbed. The final line goes:

    *On nights like these one rises to address the ages, history, and all creation.*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those moments are precious, and I remember them well. One was in 2016 on Jersey, during my first holiday with O.K. Another one that really stands out was in 1987 on Sicily; I even blogged about that one here: https://librarianwithsecrets.blogspot.com/2010/04/enchanted-afternoon.html As for wrist watches, I have not worn one since the mid-1990s.

      Delete
    2. I haven't worn my watch all year.

      Your post *enchanted afternoon* I shall follow up.
      My late brother-in-law, who grew up in Malawi with his Scottish parents, said the best holiday he ever had was in Sicily. He was with my sister and their children.
      The nearest I have come is reading *Sicily An Island at the Crossroads* by John Julius Norwich.

      I envy you that packed lunch and views of the Vosges.
      There was a dear woman who taught French in my school, a maiden lady who devoted her life to teaching. She had Air France posters on her class walls, Auvergne, the Haute Savoie, Provence, and the Vosges.

      The school is torn down now, but I go back there in memory.
      I always wanted to visit that part of France where Teilhard de Chardin came from, and never did. Must look it up on Wiki.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful walk for you and OK. You do some lovely walks - wish I could walk further than I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never know for sure what our health will be as we are getting older; all the more important it is to me that I walk while I can still do (and enjoy!) it. My Dad, who loved hiking and took us along for woodland and other walks from since we were toddlers, can now only walk with tiny baby steps, and even just to fetch the paper in the morning takes him a long time.

      Delete
  5. What a lovely day for you and O.K.! Beautiful views, nice weather, delicious wine and a special person to share it all with. These are the days you will reflect back on when you are older!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bonnie, those are days to return to in my mind, even now when I am "stuck" at home at my desk during the week.

      Delete
  6. Oh, you better hang on to him...he is better than just OK!!
    Lovely post, so happy to see YOUR happiness!

    ReplyDelete