Tuesday 19 December 2023

Read in 2023 - 32: The Brewery Murders

The Brewery Murders 
(A Yorkshire Murder Mystery Book 9)
J. R. Ellis
Is beer worth killing for?
Someone definitely seems to think so. A dead body is found floating in the fermenting tank of a brewery, just as the annual local beer festival is coming to an end.
It soon becomes clear that the victim did not accidentally fall in, and equally soon it transpires that people care more about the disruption to the festival and to their tranquil community than about the dead man, who had more enemies than people who liked him.
Add to that the rivalry between the two breweries in the small town - not only are the owners competitors in business, but also estranged siblings - a bunch of men who can not accept women at the head of a brewery, and rumours of the secret recipe to a much prized beer making the rounds, and you have a mystery right up DCI Oldroyd's alley.
As soon as I started reading, I knew that the place where it all happens is based on the small market town of Masham, famous for its two breweries. I've visited this pretty place several times and was pleased (but not surprised) to find out from the epilogue that I had guessed right.
Masham is not far from Harrogate and Ripon, the part of North Yorkshire I know best. Even the 36 bus, which my sister and I use frequently, is mentioned!
The story is well plotted and the characters multi-faceted as always in this series. It is a delight to "meet" Oldroyd and his colleagues again, as well as his partner and his sister. This time, the story's sidelines about their private lives deals with house hunting, addiction and forgiveness.
For the second time this year, I had the pleasure of reading a book of this series; the previous one's review is here.
And again, I send a heartfelt "Thank You" to Monica, as it was through her blog I originally came across the series, and it is again through her that I usually find out about the latest installment.
I enjoyed each and every page, and am happy to see that Amazon's kindle shop shows #10 in the series as being available in April 2024.

6 comments:

  1. I like a beer with a good body. (before anyone else says it)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is many a dialogue in the book where someone makes a remark along the lines of "what a way to go" and similar, with Oldroyd hating it when people do that sort of thing.

      Delete
  2. This one isn't at my library yet so I will have to wait... I remember reading his other books because you mentioned them and I requested my library purchase them and they did!
    Thanks, Meike! Are you ready for Christmas?! Hope it's happy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen - I am quite ready for Christmas, even though I have not set up my own tree yet, and maybe won't - I am not at home anyway. It will be a cosy quiet Christmas Eve with my Mum and sister, and a trip to O.K. the next day, church and a family meal on Boxing Day if everyone is well enough.

      Delete
  3. Good review of the book, Meike. And you know we share a love of Yorkshire, even if for me it's been a very long time since I last visited there in person :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monica. I hope to be on the 36 bus again next summer :-)

      Delete