Friday 29 December 2023

Read in 2023 - 33: The Bullet That Missed

The Bullet That Missed

Richard Osman

The third book in the Thursday Murder Club series, I enjoyed this one just as much as the first two.

A friend I know through my volunteer group lent me this one (just like she did with the first two), and she said she already has the fourth one ready for me when I want it. You can find my review for the 1st book here and for the 2nd one here.

My friend said she liked this one well enough but not quite as much as the other two, since in her opinion there was too much focus on the romantic relationships between members of the cast.

Speaking of which, we meet all the familiar "faces" again; Elizabeth (who in my mind looks excatly like Helen Mirren) and Stephen, Joyce and her dog, Ibrahim, Ron and Bogdan. Chris and Donna return, as does Patrice and the infamous Connie Johnson.

There are also some new people, such as Mike, Pauline, Viktor, The Viking, Heather and Jack. Not everyone of these new ones makes it alive to the end of the book, but I won't tell you who, or why and how.

Anyway: The Thursday Murder Club have just started investigating the presumed murder of a journalist who was about to uncover a major VAT fraud nearly ten years ago. Her body was never found... but someone somewhere must know something, right?

Almost as soon as Elizabeth and her friends have enlisted the help of Donna and Chris, things take an unexpected turn: Now Elizabeth has to decide whether or not to murder an old friend... or a newer friend of hers will die.

As I said, I enjoyed this one very much; the dialogue and descriptions are pure delight, and in spite of the often rather absurd scenarios playing out, somehow each and every character is (in my opinion) fully credible.

I have other books to read before I borrow #4 from my friend, but read it I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment