Tuesday 18 April 2017

Read in 2017 - 16: Hushabye

Celina Grace: Hushabye
No. 1 in The Kate Redman Mysteries series

This book had only one fault: I would have wanted it to be longer.

Kate Redman, a young detective, starts her new assignment with the police force in the fictional town of Abbeyford, situated in the UK's West Country. She is a very self-disciplined woman who really wants to do well in her job, but she isn't over-ambitious in the way some people would do anything for their career - she is still human.

Like many interesting characters, there is much more to her than meets the eye, and something looming in her past that makes her unhappy and sad at times. But she is not one of those "broken" detectives who have become so en vogue in crime fiction in recent years; she is essentially a good, believable person the reader can relate to and care about.

In her first case, the 3-month-old baby of a wealthy couple is kidnapped and his nanny murdered. The couple, a business man and a minor celebrity, react very differently to the kidnapping and murder. Both of them know enough dodgy people and have made some enemies in the past for Kate and her colleagues to have several leads to follow, but which is the right one?
Then, another person close to the couple is killed, and as the pressure mounts with each passing day, Kate finds it increasingly difficult to keep her level head.

The story is well-plotted and well-written. The style is contemporary with the occasional swear word, but this is not overdone and fits the situation. It is not the kind of mystery where you can guess what happened from the very start. I found another book in the series for free and downloaded it immediately, and am seriously considering to download the entire series - it is not very expensive, and definitely worth the money.
You can find out more about the books and their author here.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I've downloaded this title as it was still free... When I'll find the time to read it remains to be seen, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Monica - it is the same for me when I read yours and other bloggers' reviews of books I am sure I would enjoy!

      Delete
  2. I have read the Kate Redman series. I think Celina Grace is a good writer and have enjoyed her books, especially the two about Miss Hart and Miss Hunter.I do like reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristi!
      I have read about Celina Grace's other books on her website and liked the sound of them, too.

      Delete
  3. You have tweaked my interest and I may have to look for her books - they sound very interesting and must be well written (a must for me) as I know you have good taste!

    Happy week - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review. I am on the lookout for interesting books to read, and have just downloaded it to my iPad. ( still free !!). I have just started " The Kashmir Shawl" by Rosie Thomas, and am enjoying it so far. It has led me to look on Google maps to see the area in Srinagar and Leh where it is largely set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On her website, Celia Grace says that she keeps the first book in the Kate Redman series for free on purpose, to get readers interested in the series. It definitely worked for me!
      I have not heard of Rosie Thomas yet, but it is always good to know of books others have enjoyed.

      Delete