Monday 3 April 2017

Still Catching Up: My Birthday Party

My birthday was nearly a fortnight ago, and the party more than a week, but I am still catching up with posting about that wonder- and eventful week! We have finally arrived at Saturday afternoon; my previous post ended with us getting things ready for the party on Saturday, the 25th of March.

People were so kind and generous with flowers, cards and gifts - I want to share it all with you who were not able to be there.

The first flowers to arrive early in the week was this bouquet from my mother-in-law in Yorkshire:

By the time Saturday night rolled round and the party began, the sideboard in my living room was overflowing with presents, and there were many more flowers.

The painting I am holding here is the very same you can see here on Yorkshire Pudding's blog - it arrived in time, and of course I will keep my promise and post a picture of it later with Fred Fox adorning one of the walls of my flat in a matching frame. In the photo, I am explaining the painting's origin to my guests.


See the book propped up against the wall? This was another great present - a collection of photographs taken from space by Dr. Alexander Gerst, who has been mentioned on my blog before, for instance here. Thank you, sis!

Now for some more flowers:











A yellow orchid in a square grey plant pot - what could be more suitable for my living room? Thank you, Mum & Dad! (Note the little white fox...)



The Sunday after the party, my living room was back to normal - except for the gifts, cards and flowers that were still there:



Last week, yet another parcel from England found its way to my doorstep. One of my sisters-in-law sent me this Bettys gift bag! Bettys is a traditional Yorkshire company who, in their own words, started like this: "Bettys was founded by Frederick Belmont, a Swiss baker and confectioner who came to England in search of opportunities to develop his craft skills. He opened his first Café Tea Rooms in Harrogate in 1919 and named it 'Bettys'. The reason why remains a mystery to this day."

I have walked past Bettys in Harrogate many times, but have never been inside - there is always a queue, and frankly, I don't see the point in queuing for a cup of coffee and a piece of cake when I can have perfectly good coffee and cake elsewhere in town, for probably half the price. All the more do I appreciate this gift bag - no queuing!! I am planning on hosting a Bettys afternoon with O.K. and my sister some time soon, even though the season right now does not really lend itself to hot chocolate. 



The catching up is nearly complete now - there is one more post waiting to be written with photos of the walk we took on the Sunday after the party.

8 comments:

  1. How lovely you were remembered in so many special ways for your recent Birthday Meike - beautiful flowers and lovely items. Didn't know you liked foxes - you need to visit them in my garden!!!
    Many, many happy returns.
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary!
      If you ever came visiting, you'd soon discover how the "fox" theme carries through my flat in small details. My sister says one can't escape it here :-)

      Delete
  2. Unusually for you there is a glaring error in the last sentence. Tut-tut Meike! Perhaps this was down to your advancing years. I hope that when talking about Fred Fox you remembered to mention how the brave artist had wrestled a new born baby from his lethal jaws before swinging him round by his bushy tail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, YP; error mended! Indeed, my advancing years are giving me some eye trouble and I really should make an appointment some time soon... when I can be bothered.
      The gruesome picture you paint of Fred somehow does not match what I know about him from your blog!

      Delete
  3. Birthday blessings to you, if a bit late...May your whole year be filled with wonders and satisfactions. What wonderful flowers and gifts. Just delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delightful sums it up, Kristi. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I remember going with my wife to Bettys (with no apostrophe - oh dear) many years ago just for the experience. Your assessment was quite correct. It was an experience but I could have enjoyed tea and cake elsewhere and for less outlay.

    I do love your flowers. I have friends (female) who, even though I am a man, bring me flowers when they visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Bettys with indeed no apostrophe - I can forgive that in this case, since it is a corporate name and does not necessarily have to grammatically correct (although I'd prefer it that way!).
      I have male friends who appreciate flowers as much as any lady. My Dad, too, loves flowers.

      Delete