Thursday 20 July 2017

Bishop Monkton

The pictures of this post were all taken in Bishop Monkton last week Friday.

Several place names around here begin with "Bishop"; with Fountains Abbey, Ripon Cathedral and several other large abbeys (not to forget York minster) all within reasonable travel distance even in medieval times, this area was a centre of religious activity for centuries.

Bishop Monkton is a small village, very picturesque, with two pubs, a church, a school and - I am sure - a shop, although we did not come past one.






This is for John (Scriptor Senex)


Nice wheelie bin, huh?












We stopped at the Mason's Arms for a late lunch, which was excellent, and then had a good look around, went into the church and walked across the church yard before heading back to Ripon.

Leaving in 10 minutes for what is probably going to be a 9-hour-trip back home... But there are more posts about this year's Yorkshire Holiday to come!

8 comments:

  1. Don't holidays just fly by! I really enjoyed your Bishop Monkton post. Given it's location I'm astonished that I've never been there (or if I have I can't recall it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just one of many really pretty villages around Ripon, I wouldn't know where to start if I wanted to visit them all. On our last day, my sister-in-law took us by car to a stately home about half an hour's drive from Ripon; we passed places such as Stainley and West Tanfield which would have both been worth stopping at and exploring.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful village. However, I'm curious, where do the people work? And, how do you manage these really remarkable photos with no people showing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many in these villages are retired, and those who do work (because there are a surprising number of young families, too) I suppose mostly have a rather long commute to make every day, probably to towns such as Harrogate, or even further to the big cities such as Leeds or York.
      There weren't many people on the streets this time of the day, and I avoid taking pictures of them when I can. Later, as we left the pub and walked past the school, there were many children and their parents around, as school had just ended for the day.

      Delete
  3. Bishop Monkton looks and sounds like a great village. Thanks for taking us there. And now I guess you are back in Ludwigsburg. I hope your journey went smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did, Neil. We landed bang on time (thanks, Ryanair!) and the whole trip took us, once again, just under 9 hours.

      Delete
  4. Love the photos, I like the 13th one with the garden and then, the ones after that of the church. What did you have for your lunch at the pub? I know you said it was excellent and I am "homesick" enough for England, but go ahead and tell me anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had hand-cut chips, they were VERY good, and goats cheese fried in the pan with plenty of leafy salad (baby spinach etc.), garnished with pieces of warm beetroot.
      Yes, that garden was very pretty, and I know you would have LOVED the church - it was very homely, with many cross-stitched kneeling cushions made by the people of the village.
      Did you spot the tea cups on the ceiling? That was the decoration in the pub, above our heads where we were sitting!

      Delete