Monday 17 July 2017

Fountains Abbey - Finally There!

After I have left you waiting for the photos of the actual Fountains Abbey, we are finally there with this post! To some, this may just appear like a heap of old stones. To me, it is one of the most beautiful places on this planet, and fully deserves to be one of UNESCO's World Heritage sites, as Kay has mentioned in her comment to my previous post.

Without further ado, let's speak the rest of this post for itself - this is Fountains Abbey, as it was last Thursday:









There aren't any pictures of Studley Royal Water Gardens this time; I took some, but they did not turn out as good as I was hoping. The last picture of this post shows the end of the water gardens, the "big" lake which also marks the end of the part of the estate you can only access after you have paid admission.

We are on our way back already; my next post will show more of that.

Can you guess which is my favourite picture of this lot?

(If you want to ((re-))read my previous posts about Fountains Abbey, with more information and historical facts, simply use the search feature in the top left corner of my blog to find these posts.)

13 comments:

  1. On your way back already? It feels too soon......These are lovely photos and I really cannot guess which is your favorite. I rather like the first and last quite a bit, and also ones which seem to lead me toward things just out of sight...Many of that sort. I am glad you make this journey every year. You will feel more and more connected to people and places you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to decide which one is my favourite of this lot, but one that I think has turned out particularly good is the view through the pointed arch window, to a vaulted ceiling and across to another pointed arched window.
      You are right, this whole place feels more and more like home each year.

      Delete
  2. I love all these photos! Which is your favorite? I am guessing of the bottom two, the one on the left, with the clouds above the magnificent wall. Like Kristi above, I truly love that you visit here every year! AND we get to come along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the view through the pointed arch window, to a vaulted ceiling and across to another pointed arched window. I would not put it on a calendar - that's more something for the pictures you chose, but I think this one has something special.
      Glad you're not bored to come along with us every year!

      Delete
  3. Your last post, where you asked about the inscription? All are described in a book that I found online: https://archive.org/details/fountainsabbeyst00hodguoft

    Look at page 65! Now, what else can I find out for you, my friend? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay!!! I shall look into this after breakfast.

      Delete
  4. Well done - you finally made it! Brilliant! It's an impressive place, I think the largest monastic ruin in Britain. Have visited several times and I must confess that, though impressive, the water gardens do nothing to stir my soul. There's some great views of the abbey church on the way back though - shots across on ABAB if you want to take a look. Did you make it to St Mary's, the church in the park just beyond the water garden? If not, go next time - amazing OTT Victorian and a nice story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not want to make one post too long by putting too many pictures in it, and I always find it hard to decide which ones to use, that's why I split this one walk up into so many posts ;-)
      For St. Mary's, click back one or two posts; that is a "must see" on our way to the abbey every year.

      Delete
  5. Well that question certainly made me go back and look at the photos again (and again) in a more analytical and emotional way. I came to the conclusion that the arch (No 11 if the top left is number 1) would be your favourite. Now I can go back and read the comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not far off, Graham, as No. 11 is my 3rd favourite of the lot.

      Delete
  6. Now I'm kicking myself because I would have placed the double arch as my second choice. Silly me. And thank you to Kay for that. I've been and had a look. How on earth did she unearth that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay would make a great Librarian (we love research!) AND a great addition to my pub quiz team! Shame she lives a bit too far away for that...

      Delete