Friday 9 October 2020

September Holiday: Day 6

Sunrise on Sept. 20, as seen from our room

The 6th day of our holiday was Sunday, the 20th of September. By now, we had walked all the tours on our hotel's leaflet, and some more. Where to go today? Of course, in an area like this, there is no shortage of suggestions for tours of various length and difficulty. But with the weather forecast predicting thunderstorms and rain for the afternoon, we planned a circuit that would not take us too far away or last too many hours.

Setting off from our hotel straight down to the bottom of the valley and back up on the other side, we walked part of a path we had been coming down a few days earlier. On my own and other blogs, we have recentely been talking about how the same path can look and feel quite different when you walk it in the opposite direction, and this was definitely the case here.

I don't know why, but somehow this house held a special appeal for me.

You can tell the road has been given a new surface here. Roadworks are often necessary in this area, what with the harsh conditions they get every winter.

Looking back towards Balderschwang

Chapel at the Köpfle-Alpe (closed)


A wendy house? It was completely empty.


This Alpe has been newly built; it was shut for the winter already, but we could still admire the craftmanship that had gone into its construction.

Looking back at the alpe where we'd just been.






Signpost on top of Hochschelpen; we decided to walk to Gelbhansekopf, where we had been a few days before.



That's the tip of O.K.'s foot at the bottom of the picture! We had a drink of water and a snack, resting on the grass for a while, and I went to the edge of the mountain top to get a better view and take photos.

Hochschelpen, 1,552 m


On our way again, looking back towards the cross





Gelbhansekopf - do you recognise it from one of my previous posts?


This time, going down from Gelbhansekopf, we stopped at the Käsehütte ("cheese hut"), another Alpe.

The chilled shandy was welcome.

The clouds and light were rapidly changing.

Good job it was all downhill from there!

We had not been back at the hotel for long when at around 3:00 pm in the afternoon, the weather forecast came true, and a thunderstorm brought the expected rain.


Like the day before, we did not go to the spa before dinner, but showered and changed in our room. The rain kept falling lightly but steadily for most of the evening, clearly visible from our vantage point in the dining room, but we were not worried about the following day's weather - it was forecast to be more or less the same as today, with a dry morning and probably some rain in the afternoon.

5 comments:

  1. I love all your views of the mountain tops. Do all the mountain tops have crosses on them? I think that is lovely as if they are reaching for heaven! I enjoyed how your last two pictures show the clouds rolling in over the mountains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bonnie! My spontaneous response to your question reg. the summit crosses was "yes, of course" - but then I thought, wait a minute, I don't really know that, do I. It lead to a quick research, and I found this interesting article on wikipedia:
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summit_cross

      Delete
    2. I read and enjoyed the article. Thank you for sharing it!

      Delete
  2. I was so pleased that I looked at those on the big screen because they were so atmospheric. The house that you liked struck me as having an awful lot of windows to be opened up when one came for one's holidays. I loved the panorama. In fact I thoroughly enjoyed all the scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And all those windows need to be cleaned at some stage, too! When I see a place shut up like that, I can't help wondering what it is like inside. The overall impression was a place well cared for, with the flowers in the front garden in good condition.

      Delete