Friday 17 March 2023

A Windblown Week

Last week was VERY windy here - so much so that I did not go for a proper walk until Thursday; it just did not feel good to be out there for longer than necessary.

On Monday, the 6th of March, it was grey and cold; apart from going to Aldi (5 minutes from my flat) and the meeting of my volunteer group after work, I did not leave the house. I made up for it partly by taking out my skipping rope. But I was out of breath much quicker than I used to be, and only managed about half the number of "skips" that were my standard.

Tuesday (March 7) was not much better weather-wise, but the sun did manage to poke through the fast-moving clouds a little. I went to my Mum's for lunch break, and we enjoyed the fried sandwiches she made as much as our chat.

After work, I went to the nearby computer shop where I go for all PC-related stuff, and ordered a new PC - an (early) birthday present to myself. The computer I am still using for personal things is at least 15 years old, and it shows. As some of you know, I have a few favourite computer games, and because the OS on this PC can not be upgraded anymore, they have become unplayable. Of course there are workarounds, but I don't want to go to such lengths; after 15+ years, I don't think I need to justify a new computer. For now, I keep my screen, keyboard and mouse.

Leaving the shop, I did not walk straight home but took a little detour; that and the walk to and from my Mum's at lunch time were my only walking that day.

O.K. sent me these two pictures from his walk near the village the same day. Don't the clouds look like waves crashing onto cliffs, throwing up froth and spray?


I went to work at the office on Wednesday, the 8th of March. The weather had it all that day: clouds, sun, rain and once again plenty of wind. I arrived home with a slight headache that got worse in the course of the evening.

It was my mother-in-law's birthday (Mary turned 89), and so I rang her and we had a pleasant chat.

Thursday (March 9) was milder, but still windy with a mix of sun and cloud. I worked from home, which allowed me to go for a good walk after work. 



Taking in the ruined castle I first wrote about here and then walking through vineyards and orchards to Benningen, where I caught the train back home, took me about 2 1/4 hours with frequent photo stops. The app on my phone said I ended up with just under 12 km, and I felt so much better for it.




View towards Marbach
View across the river towards Neckarweihingen
I made it off the fields and into Benningen just before it became too dark to see where I was going:




Friday, the 10th of March, was more eventful: 

I was told to pick up my new computer from the shop at 3:00 pm, but I arrived there only to learn that the colleague of the man who had configured the  computer for me had accidentally sold it to someone else that same morning. I was a little disappointed, but not too much - I was going to be away all weekend and so would not have had time to set it up anyway.

Back home, I did the usual cleaning and packed my little red suitcase. As I was getting ready to leave, there were rain and sun at the same time. I thought there should be a rainbow and dashed to my kitchen window, and I was just in time to witness the building up of a beautiful rainbow! First there was just one bit in the north-east, then the entire arc, double for a brief time, until it disappeared again. The whole show lasted only a couple of minutes, and I am so glad I cought the "message"!




It was then time to go the train station. My trip to Offenburg was in two parts; the first leg was cancelled (but I had seen this in time to change plans), the second train was delayed by about 40 minutes. It meant a late supper for us but at least I was there!

The Saturday and Sunday will have their own post.

13 comments:

  1. Your photographs of the area make it look so attractive and your ability to stick to your healthy way of life staggers me. I could never keep it up. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry - anonymous is me (weaver)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Pat, thank you for reading and commenting! Well, my way of life is not so healthy; I have a desk job that involves hours of sitting and staring at computer screens (multiple ones, too), and hardly a day passes when I not eat chocolate; I drink coffee (not much, but every day) and on weekends and for special occasions, I drink alcohol, too... so the walking is VERY necessary for my body, but I also really need it for my mental health.

      Delete
  3. When I read your weekly posts, I think your weeks just fly by, Meike! You fit so much into your week! I am glad you got out for a nice long walk. I enjoyed your photos of the lovely evening sky and the fabulous rainbows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My weeks do indeed just fly by, Ellen. Whenever I look up, it seems to be Thursday already - my sister says the same. I don't feel as if I fit in all that much into each week; by the time I finish work, I am often too tired to think of anything other than walking, and I am not even seeing my Mum and my sister as often as one would think, what with us living so close by.
      The rainbows were fabulous, and I just can not resist those sunsets!

      Delete
  4. The light in the Marbach picture is magical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debby. I liked that, too; there was an opening in the clouds allowing the sun to light up just that area - for a few minutes, as the wind was soon blowing the clouds across again, and the sun had to find another window to get through.

      Delete
  5. The clouds in OK's two pictures, are a stunning view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are, aren't they! He sent me the pictures on my mobile phone, and they were great even then, but when I looked at them on my ipad in "full size", I was blown away (pun intended).

      Delete
  6. Wind is my least liked form of bad weather. It makes the house cold. Today us our best for some time. Got quite warm gardening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind being windblown for a bit, but when it has that sharp sting to it, biting my face and hurting my eyes, I just want it to stop.
      Gardening is my and my sister's plan for today; it is sunny as we speak, and should get to around 17-18 C this afternoon.

      Delete
  7. OK's cloud photos do resemble sea waves, and your sunsets and rainbows are lovely too. And it's probably not realistic to expect a computer to "live" and keep up to date past 15 years... (I haven't really kept count of mine but don't think any of them has lasted that long.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica. By the way, did you get my email? (sent yesterday)
      My old computer was very good, state-of-the-art, when it was bought. My late husband was a gamer and always made sure his PC was able to run the latest games without a hitch. Usually, he bought a new one every few years (or at least upgraded the existing one), and gave me his "old" one. But, as you say, after so many years...

      Delete